The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI!

I have been trolling this site for ages and I finally got my Elise this past weekend! Its a 2006 Polar Blue and I LOVE IT! Best car EVER! I have no problem with this as my daily driver. I live in the Tampa area if anyone wants to get together.

Now the BAD: I have this loud rattle coming from the passenger side near the cubby and speaker. It is annoying as hell. I notice it gets loud at certain revolutions and today I realized if I turn off the AC it goes away. I suspect the blower or something being hit by the blower. Is it even there? Has this happened to anyone? It is preventing me from hearing the sweet noises I want to hear! Thanks and I am glad to be an owner on the site finally!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
TADTS

i have a couple rattles in my car, just get a stage II exhaust and they wont bother you anymore rotfl

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this one is loud enough to even drown that out! Actually its not a normal car rattle, it sounds like something is amiss....

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Get a piece of foam.

Cut it into slices, not too small.

Wedge it in the dash in various places with a bit sticking out.

If it quiets the rattle, push it in.

If it doesn't, take it out.

Look for loose change on the floor.

See if your window might be rattling.

Never give up, never surrender. :D

(But see your Lotus mechanic if it drives you crazy.)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
It's the first noise of many to come...... if it's your first Lotus....get used to it.TADTS

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
This sounds like the coolant line for the AC rattling against the frame of the car. Take out the air intake on the side of the car on the passenger side and see if you can see where the rattle is happening. Cover the AC line with a rubber hose (and/or foam) and it should go away.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
HI!
Now the BAD: I have this loud rattle coming from the passenger side near the cubby and speaker. It is annoying as hell. I notice it gets loud at certain revolutions and today I realized if I turn off the AC it goes away. I suspect the blower or something being hit by the blower. Is it even there? Has this happened to anyone? It is preventing me from hearing the sweet noises I want to hear! Thanks and I am glad to be an owner on the site finally!
Do you get it if the A/C is off but the blower fan is on? The blower is in the left corner of the nose. As previously stated, some foam will probably get rid of the resonance. And as everyone stated "it is a Lotus".
Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try comparing the Blower only versus the blower/compressor. Dont get me wrong I have been in Elise's and know the typical rattles versus this loud rattle. I dont think it is the dash or the window because it only happens when I turn on the AC. If I leave the AC off I can go at any speed and revs without that horrible rattle. Unfortunately it was like a billion degrees here yesterday so that is not an option! ; )

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have the same problem aswell. ... or well, its usually just my passengers who comments on it since my ears are tuned for it by now.

I've done everything now except removing the black cover behind the seats. i will do that, but not before i get my new seats.

again as everyone stated. the noise will be one of many.

congrats on an EXCELLENT choice of car !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I checked it out. It is NOT related to the blower. The rattle ONLY kicks in when the compressor is on. After driving and ackwardly leaning my ear to the passenger side I realize it is not coming from the speaker/cubby corner. It appears to be alongside/under the passenger side. Is there a line used by the compressor going across the passenger side of the car? Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi RichS,

You are definitely on to something. The air intake you are reffering to, is it the removeable panel that provides access to the fuse box? I can only reach very little of the AC line. Let me know if I am on the right track.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Nope. The side vent on the car. The one that cools down the engine...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts