The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer got in his first GT-R, which he is keeping. I stopped by yesterday and took it for a drive. The exhaust note was better than I expected based upon other comments I had heard, and, for a big car, it's not rolly poley like you might think in the turns. The suspension is tight and the steering has no slop in it at all. I had it up to almost 1 g in a traffic circle and it felt great. (Believe it or not the car's dashboard display shows this.) Accelaration is incredible -- that goes without saying -- and smooth from any speed. The car shifts so quickly with the paddleshifters that it is barely discernable, and the same can be said about the turbo kicking in. Basically, it just goes like a bat of hell when you stomp on it. The only thing that disappointed me about the car (as a family hauler to replace the 550i) is that leg space in the back is even smaller than I thought. My family of four will fit in the car but it's tight, and my 14-year old daughters head was only about an inch from the ceiling in the back.

V-Raptor happened to be driving by in his Elise and stopped by when he saw a Lamborghini and a GT-R parked side by side, so we ended up having an impromptu car show at the dealership.

My GT-R is scheduled to be delivered in September, and I can't wait. I will bump up the NOVA Fun Run thread after I take delivery, so that some of you can check it if you are interested.
Chris

·
Registered
804 Posts
My dealer got in his first GT-R, which he is keeping. I stopped by yesterday and took it for a drive. The exhaust note was better than I expected based upon other comments I had heard, and, for a big car, it's not rolly poley like you might think in the turns. The suspension is tight and the steering has no slop in it at all. I had it up to almost 1 g in a traffic circle and it felt great. (Believe it or not the car's dashboard display shows this.) Accelaration is incredible -- that goes without saying -- and smooth from any speed. The car shifts so quickly with the paddleshifters that it is barely discernable, and the same can be said about the turbo kicking in. Basically, it just goes like a bat of hell when you stomp on it. The only thing that disappointed me about the car (as a family hauler to replace the 550i) is that leg space in the back is even smaller than I thought. My family of four will fit in the car but it's tight, and my 14-year old daughters head was only about an inch from the ceiling in the back.

V-Raptor happened to be driving by in his Elise and stopped by when he saw a Lamborghini and a GT-R parked side by side, so we ended up having an impromptu car show at the dealership.

My GT-R is scheduled to be delivered in September, and I can't wait. I will bump up the NOVA Fun Run thread after I take delivery, so that some of you can check it if you are interested.
Chris
I wouldn't want to be looking down at the dash when I'm pulling 1G+. The Corvette has a G-meter on a head-up display.

Thanks for the review--just pulling your leg along with a little friendly rivalry.:)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for the review, sounds great. Yes, for us interested locals, please bump that thread up and give us a heads up, I would love to see it once you finally get it.

Cheers,
Nawar

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
What a collection !

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't want to be looking down at the dash when I'm pulling 1G+. The Corvette has a G-meter on a head-up display.

Thanks for the review--just pulling your leg along with a little friendly rivalry.:)
Good point. I wonder how many people will drive one of these cars into a ditch while screwing around with all the interactive gadgetary -- which will take me months to figure out. The dealer was in the passenger seat and pointed out the G reading to me. There was so much going on in the display that I couldn't keep up with it.

The heads up display in the Vette can't be beat. :clap: I test drove an 08 Z06 before I bought my Gallardo. Heads up is particularly helpful if you are slightly nearsighted as I am.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
What's the purpose of reading off instantanius G readings while driving anyway?

xtn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jealous! I've been to 6 dealerships so far. Each and every one wanted a minimum of $15K over MSRP.

I just can't bring myself to pay a premium like that.

Please continue with updates! :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
From all what I have read so far, including the rather impressive run at the almighty Nurburgring.... it's an amazing piece of machine. However, it looks too bulky!! Does it look better in person?

:)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Chris that was awesome yesterday! I am glad I saw you and was able to stop by and meet you and see a GT-R in person (looks way better in person then in pictures). You must be dieing having to wait till September
to take delivery of your own, I know I would be salivating and pulling my hair out waiting if it was me. However you do have the Lambo to tide you over for now.
I am down for a drive in the fall looking forward to it.

Hey on a side note do you know if Steve is letting random people try it out or does a test drive require a deposit to be slapped down first?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard to say. I think he would part with "his" car for the right price ($15 or $20K over MSRP) based upon something he said yesterday. (He is not planning to title it.) Wouldn't hurt to ask him for a test drive. You might even offer to let him take a spin in your Lotus in exchange. He is a car nut and couldn't wait to get behind the wheel of my Lambo. If not, you can test drive mine when I get it. Hell, that's only a little over a month away.

The car does in fact look better in person. It's got some great curves around/above the front and back wheel wells that just don't come across in photos. It's not nearly as angular looking as it appears in pictures either, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I used to think it was ugly but the more I read about it the less I care. I'm finding that the pluses in the technology and performance categories are outweighing the minuses in the weight and looks categories.

·
Registered
685 Posts
with an a$$ that size, it comes standard with a 42" LCD HDTV iirc :cool:

j/k

I'm actually looking into the GT-R too - just waiting for the hype and mark-up to die down a bit - maybe in a couple of years - just in time when the Evora comes state-side

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
with an a$$ that size, it comes standard with a 42" LCD HDTV iirc :cool:
And at 3,800+ pounds there's a full-sized fridge hiding in there somewhere too... :)

It will be interesting to see these things on the street. I'm looking forward to drive one to see if it is as good as the numbers suggest, or if it is a low drama "speed appliance" as others have said.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Glad to hear you liked it. I want one, but will probably hold out for a V-SPEC I/II. Make sure to take lots of pics when you get yours.

·
Registered
804 Posts
What's the purpose of reading off instantanius G readings while driving anyway?

xtn
Good question. The instantaneous spikes don't represent what you typically see in car mag comparisons on the skid pad, which are sustained readings. For example, in the C6 Z06, I've seen reported short spikes as high as 1.4, even though the average skid pad rating is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.04.

I do think it is an OK (just OK) learning aid on the track, similar to monitoring speed and RPM on various parts of the track. However, I'd only want to see it on a heads-up display.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Chris
That's exciting, but an important question, what king of $$ are you shelling out? $$? over sticker?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Local dealer requested $10k over MSRP, so $81k fully loaded. I can't imagine paying that much over MSRP though. D:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts