The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Can't wait to try them out, heard good things about these tires but has not been available in Elige size.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just bought a set of R1Rs as well. I'm not too bent out of shape about it. By the time RS-3 in that size is available, I'll probably need a new set and can test one after the other.

In reviews they seem to come out pretty similarly. I think people prefer RS-3 because they're a few bucks cheaper and many say they can get more runs out of them. It seems like R1Rs wear very quickly on heavier cars and that gets them a lot of flack.

I think the tread pattern on R1Rs looks way cooler. Not that that should be an actual consideration when buying tires, but when it's a veritable toss-up like it seems to be with those two, might as well start throwing in some useless external factors.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm looking forward to testing the RS3's on front with 245 R1R's on the back. Glad they are coming out with this size....may save me from having to buy 15" wheels. I spoke with TR today, and told me May 12th.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm looking forward to testing the RS3's on front with 245 R1R's on the back. Glad they are coming out with this size....may save me from having to buy 15" wheels. I spoke with TR today, and told me May 12th.
This might be where I end up too. I <3 (warm) RS3s. Did well with them at nats on an STR S2000 and like them on my mr2. They seem to point better than R1Rs (good up front) while the R1Rs can move around a bit in the rear and stick like the magic pixie dust glue they are made of.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This might be where I end up too. I <3 (warm) RS3s. Did well with them at nats on an STR S2000 and like them on my mr2. They seem to point better than R1Rs (good up front) while the R1Rs can move around a bit in the rear and stick like the magic pixie dust glue they are made of.
How long or how many runs did your rs3s take to get warm on your mr2?

·
Registered
350 Posts
in the absence of a 205RS3 in 2012, i eventually settled on the opposite (205R1R and 245RS3) and it worked very well (packwood/asphalt).

the problem i had with 245 R1R's in the rear were that they would start overheating by the end of a 60s run (qualcomm/broken asphalt) and be cooked by 3rd pro solo run (el toro/concrete). mind you, i had the car setup to rotate very well (softer front bar than i ran when on r-comps), so having a rear tire that could handle the heat became essential.

the kooks loved the heat, and i would have stuck with my toyo/kook setup if i hadn't sold my car - but a 205RS3v2 coupled with contingency would seem like a no brainer to have on all four corners methinks..

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I drove on some RS-3s for the Mineral Wells Prosolo a couple weekends ago in an STR S2000. I feel the same about them as the old compound RS-3. Yuck. I just can't wheel those tires. I was much happier on my old Star Specs. I've driven Carbon's car with R1Rs and I thought it was pretty dang good.

That's all I have.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I think the tread pattern on R1Rs looks way cooler. Not that that should be an actual consideration when buying tires, but when it's a veritable toss-up like it seems to be with those two, might as well start throwing in some useless external factors.
I don't think it is a useless external factor. I think it has a bit to do with the magic in the wet.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't think it is a useless external factor. I think it has a bit to do with the magic in the wet.
Oh, agreed that tread pattern itself isn't a useless external factor, but "looks totally awesome" probably shouldn't be a major consideration :)

Best lap time / AutoX shootouts and spreadsheet racing seem to put them at a dead heat.

I have no personal experience with RS3s on this car, but I have ridden in my friend's S2000 with them for a couple laps and a lot of daily driving beer runs. They feel really planted up to the limit and I think they are stiffer than the R1Rs. His turn-in feels crisper, but it could just be his driving. RS3s aren't terrifying in the rain, so they're at least a bit better than R888s and friends for all-around use.

People with piggish cars like Evos and Porsches distribute a lot of anti-R1R hate at events I've been to. I think the R1R overheats and greases up more easily than the RS-3, but it doesn't seem to be an issue on our cars.

RS3 does seem to take a bit to warm up even on the S2K. They also seem to last a lot longer in street driving, so... :shrug: .

I think for the street I'd buy RS-3s and try them out, if just for the economy.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I have burned through 3 sets of RS-3's. They are hard to beat for a tire that you can drive to the track. They hold up without issue through a 20 minute session in the heat. They are very predictable, have great grip and are cheap. I get about 15 track days plus some street driving from a set that costs around $600.

Using 15" front wheels has given me this option for a while now... Not sure why more people don't go that route, unless you have larger front brakes (maybe Exige or aftermarket). The size difference between a 205/45/16 and the 225/45/15 that I run is remarkably small. Maybe someone knows of another downside but it has worked well for me.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anyone have feedback on these? Maybe in comparison to the R888?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts