The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
(snip)....The White looks super clean and would be an easy choice - but what about White as a color in general, and especially given a gravel road? We would absolutely CRAWL along the gravel until we reach pavement, but still. I will admit to mixed emotions about white cars. It's the most common car color in the USA. Fleet vehicles default to white. Rental vehicles default to white. Service trucks default to white. Yet it looks super sharp in the photos - maybe because it's an Evora! Is Metallic White a good choice on vehicles of this class? Or do most people just think "Ugh, another plain old white car" and shy away from white, turning white Evoras into white elephants?.....

Thanks!
I have some experience with the white metallic paint. It's pretty amazing how it hides the dust and grime from a dirt road. Mud? Not so much.

Get the color and interior you like best.

Regards,
Dan

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've read some clutch replacement threads but thought by the time we got to the 2017+ model years that issue had been resolved. Not so?
Issues are fairly rare, although faulty manufacturing can happen on any part. More importantly, the clutch disc is a wear item. You certainly can make one last 250k miles, but my data shows that most wear out earlier. It isn’t better or worse than any other performance car.

A lot of owners (myself included) are shocked to learn that a clutch replacement is on he order of $10K. It’s 30-40 hours of work at least, body off and engine out.

That’s the lotus litmus. If you can tolerate that risk, nothing else about the car is a question mark.

Cheers

donour

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh, I was thinking of the clutch hydraulics... the master cylinder problem due to the plastic vs. metal master cylinder assembly. Is that still an issue for 2017+?

·
Loves to talk
949 Posts
Not for me and none I can remember having been reported here. Maybe there is an outlier I missed, but I read the board almost daily.

BTW, the 2017 and 2018 specs are identical. I don't think there's anything between them apart from build date.

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Same part, same crap ,I believe. But the aftermarket has solved the issue. Part is not expensive. Just takes time...if you eventually need it. One of the few parts on the car with a repeat history of trouble. vast majority odf clutch issues relate back to an MC fail..
Almost all the others are a lack of talent. Sorry folks, been in enough cars where folks thought they were competent with a manual......NOT!!

Reactions: 6TVRs+ and donour

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Same part, same crap ,I believe. But the aftermarket has solved the issue. Part is not expensive. Just takes time...if you eventually need it.
Drat. So the OEM part is still the plastic one? I was hoping with all the bad press here that Lotus would have switched to something more reliable in later model years.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BTW, the 2017 and 2018 specs are identical. I don't think there's anything between them apart from build date.
That's good to hear. I had someone suggest that Sport mode had been eliminated post-2017 due to US noise regulations or something. Yet I see the Sport button in the 2018 owner's manual. That would have been a terrible loss.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
HOORAY! After considering and driving several examples, we've committed to the 2018 Evora linked earlier in this thread. Under 1300 miles, two years warranty remaining, etc. We're flying there next week to do our personal inspection and test drive, have the local dealer do a PPI, and (presuming those go well) have 3M protective film applied before my son and I drive it home on what should be an awesome father-son road trip.

I want to give a HUGE shout-out to Sherman at HethelSport. We haven't even had the chance to give them any money (yet!) but he's been unbelievably helpful and supportive. I'm looking forward to joining the Lotus family and being a faithful, long-term customer.

Also, a big Thank You to this forum. We've learned a lot just by reading the threads here. This forum (unlike a LOT of others) has a really good "vibe" and everyone is friendly and supportive. I'm hoping to start contributing once we have our Lotus and gain some experience.

Now that we're this close... is there anything specific we should look for during our personal inspection? Anything we should have the dealer specifically look at during the PPI? I'm already having them check the alignment since I've had factory-fresh zero-mileage cars be wildly wrong in that department. Anything else? Any recalls for MY2018 that we should confirm?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Get to know your dealership and their tech. You won't need him much in all liklihood once the punch list is done.. May already be done.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK, so it's not totally rude to negotiate a bit. That's good to hear. I agree, given the economic situation right now a cash buyer should have an advantage. At least I hope so! I'm a polite, pleasant guy but I'm not made of money and there's no reason to overpay.
In my book, it's never rude to negotiate. An asking price is an asking price. What's rude is to waste somebody's time with "what's your best price, lowest you'll go, etc".

Make your offer respectfully (what it's worth to you) and move on. If you're close, you'll get a counter at least. As a seller, I greet every buyer respectfully, but if I get a sense they're there to waste my time, I cut them off. I won't sell to them out of principal even if they make a nice offer later. Some people just want to watch the world burn, so don't give me a reason to burn yours... :)

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Get to know your dealership and their tech.
As mentioned earlier, we don't have a nearby dealership. Closest one is Seattle, 350 miles one way (!!!). I won't be seeing them except for warranty issues and perhaps once per year for a check-up during the remaining warranty period. Minor maintenance I'll do myself (LOF, etc.).

I did call my insurance company today and confirm we have unlimited towing, just in case it ever needs to get to the dealer for a really serious problem. AAA covers 200 miles but Safeco covers "unlimited" (their word) "to the nearest certified service location for that vehicle". I gave the agent the specifics - that we live 350 miles away and that's literally the nearest Lotus shop - and they said "yep, it's covered".

But in any case, I don't expect to become too familiar with a shop 350 miles away unless there are some very serious issues. On a brighter note, a couple of friends are watching our Lotus acquisition very closely and have expressed interest in possibly following my path if mine works out well. We have several high end dealers in the immediate area... I wonder how much critical mass we need to attract one of them to take on Lotus as another brand?

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
89 Posts
Another tip for when you get the car — they are very low to the ground so easy to scrape on the driveway. Unfortunately I did that the first few weeks I had my car until I read on here about angling your car out when backing out to the street. Since I did that no more scrapes but sadly I scratched the bottom of the bumper before learning how to properly back up.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Another tip for when you get the car — they are very low to the ground so easy to scrape on the driveway.
Yep, I'm concerned about that. I even mentioned to my wife today while driving in a parking lot that we'll have to take speed bumps VERY SLOWLY to prevent scraping.

The other thing that worries me is that, when we take possession of the car, we'll be in the middle of one of the busiest and most congested cities on the west coast. I'll have to drive a car I barely know through that city traffic, and then on some of the busiest freeways, until we get out into the suburbs a bit. That's going to be a very stressful first day!

·
Loves to talk
949 Posts
Actually, I don't find the Evora particularly susceptible to grounding out. The spoiler can touch down on steep driveways and the like, but unlike my M5 (or a Corvette) the Evora doesn't high center over routine speed bumps or cause more concern in this respect than any other sporting vehicle, including a number of BMWs I've owned. I think it behaves like an MX5 (had one of those too). You can ground it but it's not especially prone to that and is in fact pretty well behaved as these things go. I don't find it all that different than my GTI. It's more likely at the nose but it's not a night and day thing. I've never high centered it and although I have scraped the spoiler, it was almost always avoidable.....my fault, not the car's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do what I do - go over speed bumps at HIGH SPEED - so you don't high center it.

Let inertia be your friend and get you across! :)

Kevin

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So you're saying we should just buy a low-altitude aircraft instead of an automobile...? {grin}

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
I tend to take speed bumps at an angle. Then you don’t get the crash down after going over it. The underside of the lotus is pretty streamlined.
Congrats on the car. Good PPF needs to cure before you drive it away. Talk to the installer about your plans. That way you don’t waste a bunch of money on PPF that doesn’t adhere properly and the installer is now a long way away so they can’t fix it.

·
Registered
Shopping for an Evora...
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hmm... that's a good point. We are scheduled to drive it back to North Idaho right after getting the film applied. Might be able to loiter around perhaps 24 hours, but really can't go much more than that. I'll ask the installer about it. Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
2018 Evora 400 Burnt Orange
41 Posts
What part of ID? I almost bought a house in Sandpoint years ago, lookEd at Coeur D’aline too.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts