The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a long time member on the forum I'll admit I have not posted often. More so a few years ago regarding my 2005 Elise.

Always a Lotus fan since I was kid growing up in Pennsylvania I have always had a soft spot for an Elan.

Too long of a story adding my HS friends father who raced a Seven and owned a TVR Taimar among others. I lived in Connecticut where I attended College for my first degree. While there i worked part time and full time summers for a Restoration shop as an "Aston Martin" Apprentice but actually worked on many varied brands including Lotus.
I had the chance to purchase a Series 1 Elan in BRG for 5k that was in rough shape then (but ran) yet for some silly reason I didn't buy it and instead went for TVR 2500m. I enjoyed it for years but it was no Elan.

Fast forward in time and after purchasing my Elise I always had a vision of having the spiritual predecessor (in my mind) the Elan S1 or S2. I was fortunate enough to run across one that was advertised on Hemmings last year exactly..1-4-2016! From...believe it or not from the VERY place I worked years prior! Talk about full circle!

I immediately contacted them and after some words with the middle man, I spoke directly with the builder who was head of the race shop at the time I was there, had retired and was building select cars in his spare time. And amazingly he remembered me totally! lol. I had a "PPI" performed, issued a comprehensive report and after a few things were sorted The car was mine and shipped to me.

The car was above what I had expected and over the last few months could't have been happier after the nail biting decision to buy it. The car was quite expensive but considering its a full restoration over two years, all new components, sorted and now has all of 320 miles on it (yes still breaking it in). Being a 26R "specification" or "tribute" car as well as being a genuine S2 one could not buy the 4 pages of parts for what was paid much less the labor. All I have to do now is the usual settling in adjustments and of course "Lotus style" maintainance!

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few more images of the undercarriage, interior and motor...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Nice car

You have to take the roof off, the early cars look so great topless

Check out whether you should have limiting straps on the rear suspension,the U joints don't have the angle and can lock at full droop, apparently disconcerting when, say, overtopping a rise at high speed and locking the rear tires.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice car

Check out whether you should have limiting straps on the rear suspension,the U joints don't have the angle and can lock at full droop, apparently disconcerting when, say, overtopping a rise at high speed and locking the rear tires.
I'll check but I don't believe I do. I can contact the builder at any time so I'll be sure to give him a call on this aspect.

Thank you for the suggestion/heads up!

-C

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice car

I also fully plan on removing the top. I have to make a custom carrier first as its an original 26R top and I'd like to protect it as much as possible when it's not on the car. I have a new canvas top with refreshed hardware as well...I doubt I'll use the kit much if at all but it's nice to have.

I have an original hardtop I'm restoring for my TR6 so make that two carriers...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wow, beautiful Elan. I vote to keep the top on it. I really like the FHC Elans. I also like the 26R headlight covers. It just needs the scoops in front of the rear wheels and a set of magnesium 26R wheels.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Awesome! And just the right color!

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
I remember seeing this on Hemmings a while back. It's worth every dollar. The door panel fitment on Leno's 26R isn't even this clean.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Are there u-joint at both ends of axles. I left one Rotoflex on each, on the advise of a race mechanic who build a few of these. (The Spyder CV joint version was not yet available.

I restored a '72 Sprint in 1985 and drove it > 100k miles for > 20 years. Spyder chassis & cage, 180 hp engine, etc.

If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Beautiful car. Ppl who've not driven one have no idea of how good these are.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
WOW!!! that is gorgeous! I'm so jelly. It reminds me of Jay Leno's Elan. That is exactly how I picture my Elan to look if I was ever lucky enough to own one. Congrats.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Very cool. Love the old-school aesthetic but with all the new components. Money is funny...it's hard to put a price on obtaining a life-long dream.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
holy sh*t, that has to be the nicest Elan I've ever seen. Badass. Congrats!
Thank You! It's been a long time coming...And totally unexpected. But isn't this the way things go at times?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome! And just the right color!
"Proper" BRG.. Just like the one I lamented (well not any longer) passing on those years ago from the same operation.\

I believe the first Elan I laid eyes on as a kid was BRG as well so it's only fitting in this case...:smile2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts