The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with another deposit holder to the Pittsburgh auto show and finally saw the car in person. I doubt there is anything I can say that is new to the regular readers here but for those of you who haven't seen it in person I was a bit surprised...

It is really freaking small!!

This, mind you, is coming from a guy who drives a MINI as his daily driver. Everything about the car was about 80% of the size I had somehow expected. It was lower to the ground, it was shorter in length, it was tighter to get in, the seats were more snug (or my butt is bigger than I thought), the shift knob was wee and the steering wheel seemed teeny.

All said, once I got used to the new dimensions it was perfect. There is no other car that acceptably suits the "go-kart" cliche better than this.

I think Yellow is seeming like a better color choice all the time just so people will be more likely to see and not squash me though.

Jim

·
Registered
228 Posts
There have been a lot of posts about people trying on the car in Pittsburgh but I was told by the exhibitors that they were not allowing anyone in the car.

Am I just too shady looking or do you have to be on the list at Ascot Motors to get in the car?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Nathan968 said:
There have been a lot of posts about people trying on the car in Pittsburgh but I was told by the exhibitors that they were not allowing anyone in the car.

Am I just too shady looking or do you have to be on the list at Ascot Motors to get in the car?
Aren't Pittsburgh and Cleveland mortal enemies
in football? Go back there wearing a Steeler jersey and I'm sure they'll let you in the car.-ridgeman-

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When I got there the car was locked up tight and my salesman was nowhere to be seen. I got in because I was on the list. The Rolls Royce salesman gave me the key and I opened it up. I let my friends in also, but no one else. Then I locked it back up and returned the key. I guess they don't want to deal with all sorts of people going in the car and messing with stuff. I kinda felt bad as lots of people wanted in, but I respected the Ascot folk’s wishes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy I was with is on their list but it wouldn't have mattered as it was a Monday with only a few people around so they were letting anyone seriously interested have a look around.

The staff there were not sure how to do the soft top and preferred that I not remove it. After some cajoling and a little fiddling with it they agreed to even let me pop it off. Very nice design I thought, piece of cake. As others have stated, it is MUCH easier to get in and out of without the roof although the sales lady just about fainted when I stepped on the seat getting out. (I swear my shoes were clean). They were very cool about the whole thing.

As others have noticed, those of us who are on this site regularly know more about the car than some on the sales staff, so much so they started deferring specific questions to me and my friend while we were there. I think I sold one or two just standing there. Alas, no commission.

Jim

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was shocked when I saw how small the car was to. I thought it was a bit bigger, I was a little disspointed. My fiance wasnt crazy about either but if you look at what the car offers its not such a bad deal.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
jdw5155 said:

It is really freaking small!!

I think Yellow is seeming like a better color choice all the time just so people will be more likely to see and not squash me though.

Bright color = passive safety Smart move.

Wait till you drive one in traffic. When you start looking up at other car's tires you'll really freak out! Small station wagons look like H2s when you're driving an Elise.

Just take 'er out into some twisty roads and all your anxiety will simply vaporize...:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one thing I didn't mention is they parked the car right next to the BIGGEST Rolls Royce I've ever seen. The damn thing looks like a freight train engine. Short of the H2 or Expedition I don't think there was another car they could have parked it next to that would have made it look smaller.

Then again, I think it would have looked small next to a Miata, but the RR didn't help. :)

Jim

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
jdw5155 said:

Then again, I think it would have looked small next to a Miata, but the RR didn't help. :)

Jim
It shouldn't look too much smaller than the Miata, isn't it an inch wider and an inch shorter?

·
Registered
75 Posts
babak said:
It shouldn't look too much smaller than the Miata, isn't it an inch wider and an inch shorter?
Granted, I'm used to driving an Eclipse, but when I took my test drive of the Euro car, I was amazed at how low it was. I felt like I was looking up at the Celica (ironically) next me at the light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts