The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Older but getting faster
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running the standard cast wheels since I bought the car four years ago. The understeer is really quite pronounced, especially when I autoX the car.

I finally bought a set of Team Dynamics 16x7, 17x8 forged wheels. I had to special order them, since evidently I'm one of the few who likes them in silver.

They should be here later this summer (I bought them from a Lotus parts retailer in the UK and saved $$$$$), and can't wait to see how the car handles with wider tires up front. I'm going to have to be careful, since I know snap oversteer is trickier to manage than understeer.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
...I'm going to have to be careful, since I know snap oversteer is trickier to manage than understeer.
It is often the case that the "snap oversteer" happens when you have understeer.
Once you get you head around the concept of why it happens, and what causes it, you will find that there is no "snap" when you are driving it correctly.

and> You will probably like the rims.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just bought some myself! :clap:

Picked them up about 8hrs ago - now trying to figure out what tyres...

I was going to ask you what tyres you're using but hmm, I only just realised that you'll probably be asking the same question :rolleyes:

I am considering these:
Federal 595RS-R
Front 205/50/R16 +2.34% (+14mm dia, 70mph = 71.64)
Rear 235/45/R17 1.56% (+10mm dia, 70mph = 71.09)
- it keeps the speed to < 2.5% difference than stock and theyre really good vfm over here.

But I just tried the 195/50/R16 toyo R888 and they really fill the wheel arch so I suspect the 205 will rub... :panic:

Anyone with incite? :shrug:

:UK:

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I wanted to get a set, but nobody (who was well known) had them in stock. I ended up getting a set from a tire place without having to special order them (in silver).
I have run hoosiers and toyo R1R tires in a 205 width (front) without rubbing. MY suspension is stock LSS.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I upgraded to the wider LSS wheels (with LSS suspension, otherwise stock), went from 175/225 width tires to 205/235, and the car became a good bit more tail happy during autocrossing, but it wasn't completely unmanageable.

I added a blackwatch front sway bar and it completely transformed the car... At my last autocross the car just stuck and went where I wanted it to. I highly suggest a swaybar as your next upgrade.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wanted to get a set, but nobody (who was well known) had them in stock. I ended up getting a set from a tire place without having to special order them (in silver).
I have run hoosiers and toyo R1R tires in a 205 width (front) without rubbing. MY suspension is stock LSS.
Addertooth, u went team dynamics 7" front + 205 tyre and no issues? Good info, thx. Just wanted to check I'm not misunderstanding.

Cheers bud.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I upgraded to the wider LSS wheels (with LSS suspension, otherwise stock), went from 175/225 width tires to 205/235, and the car became a good bit more tail happy during autocrossing, but it wasn't completely unmanageable.

I added a blackwatch front sway bar and it completely transformed the car... At my last autocross the car just stuck and went where I wanted it to. I highly suggest a swaybar as your next upgrade.

Thx I'll have a look at that.

But, how'd u find the 205 on the front? Any rubbing? Ta

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
No rubbing with Toyo Proxes R1R and Hooser A6/R6. My wheels are Team Dynamics 1.4 for the hoosiers and RAC Monolites for the Toyos. My suspension is the stock LSS "sport" suspension. And I second the motion for the Black Watch Racing (BWR) sway bar. It somewhat tames snap oversteer, but does not eliminate it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
No rubbing with Toyo Proxes R1R and Hooser A6/R6. My wheels are Team Dynamics 1.4 for the hoosiers and RAC Monolites for the Toyos. My suspension is the stock LSS "sport" suspension. And I second the motion for the Black Watch Racing (BWR) sway bar. It somewhat tames snap oversteer, but does not eliminate it.
Ta!
:up:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts