The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this in an Exige that's for sale at Ron Tonkin (Portland, OR). I have been stowing mine on the ledge behind the passenger seat braced by a Styrofoam block (tacky). When I saw this, I got busy with 1.5" adhesive Velcro hook on the Kidd's mounting bracket and Loop on the aluminum foot plate just to clear the front of the passenger seat and center between the sill and the console. Perfect! I have been agonizing over this. I couldn't see it. Duh!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I noticed this in an Exige that's for sale at Ron Tonkin (Portland, OR). I have been stowing mine on the ledge behind the passenger seat braced by a Styrofoam block (tacky). When I saw this, I got busy with 1.5" adhesive Velcro hook on the Kidd's mounting bracket and Loop on the aluminum foot plate just to clear the front of the passenger seat and center between the sill and the console. Perfect! I have been agonizing over this. I couldn't see it. Duh!
If you look carefully, you can see the mounting bracket for the fire extinguisher from Sector 111. It uses the front passenger seat bolts to mount. Completely removable.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sector 111 solution, $400.00 + shipping. Walmart, $40.00. Halon vrs. sodium bicarbonate. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The sector mounting isn't that study that's my only gripe.. I think it could easily snap (in an accident) and send a 10lb missile through the car.. Yes I do have this in my car and plan to come up with something a little more solid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
shay2nak
25,134 Posts
The sector mounting isn't that study that's my only gripe.. I think it could easily snap (in an accident) and send a 10lb missile through the car.. Yes I do have this in my car and plan to come up with something a little more solid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Mine shakes a lot. Keeps slapping at the bottom. I need to remove it and attach some rubber feet or weather stripping.

As you know, it's fastened at the rear corner sides at the front seat mounts, but there's no attachment at the front point. This is where it flaps around.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
It will be interesting to see how well it holds up to standing on the brakes at 40MPH. I seriously doubt it would pass tech inspection if you are tracking it.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Velcro fire extinguisher mount

It will be interesting to see how well it holds up to standing on the brakes at 40MPH. I seriously doubt it would pass tech inspection if you are tracking it.
You know, I took the car out today to test that very situation. It passes the brake check with only the plastic bracket of the Walter J. Kidd stressing forward a little. I don't track the car so the fire department is a "just in case" safety device. That Velcro is amazing stuff. 6" X 1 1/2" pad has got some bite!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My extinguisher is to large to mount this way. Does anyone know if drilling into the side rail will compromise the integrity of the chassis.

brg

·
Registered
444 Posts
My extinguisher is to large to mount this way. Does anyone know if drilling into the side rail will compromise the integrity of the chassis.

brg
Well the factory is not " shy" about drilling excess holes in the rail ...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sector 111 solution, $400.00 + shipping. Walmart, $40.00. Halon vrs. sodium bicarbonate. Hmmmm.
didn't like the red that sector111 offers so i bought a similar can but in chrome. halotron is $150 vs. halon @ $300. neither affect electronics which is why they are used in vehicles, unlike a common 'baking soda' extinguisher.

Mine shakes a lot. Keeps slapping at the bottom. I need to remove it and attach some rubber feet or weather stripping.
As you know, it's fastened at the rear corner sides at the front seat mounts, but there's no attachment at the front point. This is where it flaps around.
the kit should have come with some rubber feet in it. it's pretty thick at about 0.5"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I have the chrome polished Sector 111 setup with their bracket and rubber pads. Never had a problem at the track. A LOT of money for an extinguisher, but solid mounting and looks good. I also have people ask if it is a NOS bottle!

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
The sector mount has hooks where you mount it. If the seat is about to fall off it will hold to the bolts. I have a double NOS bottle mount and they are very secure!

Your ID pic is to high res for an avatar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts