The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted one yet? Anyone know from the different substances? I know a lot of the Porsche guys use Halon but I have heard Halon gives off some dangerous gasses. What about sodium bicarbonate?

-Steve

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
offroadr35 said:
Has anyone mounted one yet? Anyone know from the different substances? I know a lot of the Porsche guys use Halon but I have heard Halon gives off some dangerous gasses. What about sodium bicarbonate?

-Steve
Halon gas is not dangerous. In a mixture sufficient to interrupt combustion, it is still breathable...though I would rather take their word for it than test that personally. In heavy enough concentration, when flooding a closed environment, it could displace enough of the room air that there would not be sufficient oxygen. I don't know that I would use it in an occupied closed cockpit. In the engine compartment, it should pose no problem. It is not effective against metal fires such as magnesium, so don't carry a bunch of emergency flares.

What may have triggered the thought about it being dangerous is that the production of Halon was banned 10 years ago because of the damage it does to the ozone layer. There are alternate fire suppression gasses that have been developed to replace Halon. Or, it may be because in full flooding of an enclosed room, it can displace enough air that one could not survive and must evacuate quickly.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
yeah, eliminating the oxidizer from a fire eliminates the fire. of course it also displaces the gas your bod needs for living

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is a common household extinguisher sodium bicarb? what kind of damage would it do? (I was going to mount one for track days in the Elise).

How much are the halon units? I was quoted about $200 from a race shop and that is way outta my budget.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The problem with the Halon units I've found so far is the size. All too big for the passenger footwell, where I'd like it.

eliseparts has a nice little unit, but I suspect they can't ship it over here.

If someone finds one that can mount attached to the "spine" that separates the driver and passenger footwell, please post here!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Au111 said:
The problem with the Halon units I've found so far is the size. All too big for the passenger footwell, where I'd like it.

eliseparts has a nice little unit, but I suspect they can't ship it over here.

If someone finds one that can mount attached to the "spine" that separates the driver and passenger footwell, please post here!
These are the best out there but they are pricey

http://www.safecraft.com/product_page.asp?ProductCatID=1&ProductSubCatID=9&menu=H

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
So the billet aluminum mounting bracket adds $110 to the price?! Yikes. I didn't know the commodity price on bauxite had gone through the roof. ;)

So I'm a [email protected]$$ [email protected]$tard. I guess I'll have to fully discharge my $15 household extinguisher (next time I grill hot-dogs?) and get a re-fill done with Halon. Anyone know if this can be done?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Bicarb sets up corrosion on everything it touches especially electical, it wrecks electrical wiring and components.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Fred to the rescue!

I sell lots of halon extinguishers overseas for aviation use. There are 3 models (sizes) and the most expensive costs around $ 140.00, I'm going to get specs and pictures and see if people are interested, I can give you the name of the place where to buy but you may not get the same discount so for people who live in areas where my distributor has offices whe can try to set up a pick up at their office otherwise shipping can be a PIA. Later tonight I'll post the specs on this thread.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Here is the manufacturer of the Halon extinguishers I sell at work. I'm sure you should all be able to find these at many different types of retailers so here goes the info:

RTA400

RTA600

RTA1200

I think something like the RTA400 or 600 should be more than enough. The RTA600 should cost around $ 85.00 including the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
My dealer gave me a booklet of Lotus accessories. Here's a photo of the page which has two fire extinguishers on it. The 'plumbed-in' fire extinguisher has an added note on the opposite page which reads 'Plumbed-in fire extinguisher Competition FIA approved'.

The part numbers are

Item 13; A111T0002S
Item 14; A111T0004S

I don't own either; just mentioning them since they are in the Lotus provided booklet. I will attempt to attach the scan to this post... (sorry the pic is low res)
-doma

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Interestingly, the EPA banned Halon production in '98 but the FAA still REQUIRES it in aircraft.

The Reader's Digest condensed (pricing) version:

SafeCraft (racing supplier)
1.2 lbs. $154 (with bracket $264)
2.5 lbs. $194 (with bracket $304)

H3R (aircraft supplier)
1.2 lbs. $85
2.5 lbs. $135 both include bracket.

Lotus: $ ???

I did confirm that my household cheapie extinguisher is sodium bicarbonate.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
so we have to agree to fly to use it :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
halon

http://www.offshorepress.com/taxhelp/tax7m09a.htm

tax on halon is about $9.40 per lb. Going up fast. If companies keystone the tax (double the direct cost of production) the tax can substantially increase the cost of the fire extinguishers. Retailers generally double the price too. How the tax is going to reduce ozone I don't know. Before the tax I bought one for my kitchen cost about $25.

Pay the price. If you use sodium bicarbonate you may have to repaint the car and replace quite a bit of parts. The stuff is real messy.

have fun

Nick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts