The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hoppio
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with these tires on Elise? 205/45-16 & 245/40-17. Considering these vs RE71R for aggressive driving but not competition. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
11,704 Posts
Sorry, not used these yet, but they may be my next tire.

I drive all over. Sometimes it rains, so this is a better choice for me than RE71R.

·
Registered
979 Posts
1) they'll probably be fine
2) you don't have to go that wide. you'd be fine and save money doing 195F 225R assuming those sizes are available.
3) RE71R will undoubtedly be better if you ever DO track/autocross the car

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have them on my Exige. I haven't put many miles on them yet but so far I really like them. They seem like a bargain. I would definitely buy them again.

·
Premium Member
11,704 Posts

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
518 Posts
Will this tire in this size work on the base wheels without issue, rubbing, etc?
From a Table on Tire Rack, the 205/45-16's are for a 7" rim (6.5" to 7.5") range. The 245/40-17's are for an 8" rim (7.5" to 9") range.
My Elise has these tire sizes on it from purchase in 2013 (it's a 2008). My rims measure 7.5" front and 8.5" rear as best as I can tell without dismounting the tires. The car has sport and touring pacs from the factory. The rims are wider than base. No rubbing issues.
The fronts are a lower profile than the rears (23.5" vs 24.7" in diameter) ...also from the table. It works though. These F-F-I500 tires are looking real good to me as replacements for the Bridgestone RE-11's on there now which are ageing out.

·
Less is Better
2,516 Posts
Read that Tire Rack review. They state that the Firestone has great response and grip but the BFG has better communication and feel. That's what drove me to go with the BFG.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Read that Tire Rack review. They state that the Firestone has great response and grip but the BFG has better communication and feel. That's what drove me to go with the BFG.
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 (Ultra High Performance Summer 245/40R18 93W)
What We Liked: Comparison-leading steering feel, reliable wet performance.
What We'd Improve: The most noticeable tread and impact noise of the group.
Conclusion: Still a top-tier performer, but starting to show its age.

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (Ultra High Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
What We Liked: Aggressive looks backed up by impressive levels of dry grip and sharp reflexes.
What We'd Improve: The firmest ride in this test and very light steering effort.
Conclusion: Hits the bull's eye for an Ultra High Performance tire.

·
Less is Better
2,516 Posts
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 (Ultra High Performance Summer 245/40R18 93W)
What We Liked: Comparison-leading steering feel, reliable wet performance.
What We'd Improve: The most noticeable tread and impact noise of the group.
Conclusion: Still a top-tier performer, but starting to show its age.

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 (Ultra High Performance Summer 245/40R18 97W)
What We Liked: Aggressive looks backed up by impressive levels of dry grip and sharp reflexes.
What We'd Improve: The firmest ride in this test and very light steering effort.
Conclusion: Hits the bull's eye for an Ultra High Performance tire.
I don't like to repost content from a site that generates revenue from clicks. It takes (an admittedly small amount of) money and motivation away from an originator, and I want them to keep producing. That and the loosely enforced copy-write infringement is also why I don't like reposting good magazine articles. I'd rather post the link.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have these sizes on my Exige street wheels. I probably wouldn't use them on the track but on the street they are fine. I can make these slide at legal speeds on the street (difficult to do with my Toyo RA1's). They are not R compound tires and have a 340 treadwear rating. Wear is good, price is awesome, look pretty good if you can get over the fact that the tread points in different directions on driver side vs passenger side (tires are not directional but have an "outside").

Another good thing about buying from tire rack is that you get free road hazard (dont ask how I know)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts