The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum is getting uber boring lately! I could post something about my hair loss, maybe a friends wedding, pictures of my smart car but will refrain. I digress.............

Track Season is open in the south.

First track day for me coming up next weekend at RA.

Chin motorsports has a killer line up this year!

What is everyone else planning for the year?

What is the best Track Day Insurance?

Who is planning on doing it for the first time?

What is the best HPDE group to go with?

Whom has the best schedule?

Speed hungry and snowed in minds want to know!:coolnana:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm staring out the window at more snow in Michigan and you're going on about track days. Bad form, dude.

I'll forgive though 'cause that's the kind of guy I am.

-No insurance, cost-benefit doesn't compute for me.

-Planning on 2-3 NASA events in Midwest, several open track days at my local track, Waterford Hills, where they say they will offer a package deal and a single tech inspection for the year, 2 GLLC weekends, a trip out to Road America, and assorted weekends at Grattan, Gingerman, and Mid-Ohio with various Porsche clubs. After that, if I have a free day here and there I'll look up Motorsportreg.com or Clubregistration.net and see what's going on and register a day or two ahead of time. A track within a couple hours drive from me often has an open track day or a one day "school" where you can essentially have the track to yourself and a few other cars, so that's also a choice.

I've enjoyed Autointerests as far as non-brand affiliated groups organizing events.

I prefer not to run with some groups that have little or no inspection requirements, after having seen wheels come off stripped beaters in the middle of a session. 3 Balls Racing comes to mind.

·
Registered
502 Posts
No track days for me until May5th
No track day insurance either
I run with mostly local clubs like BMW and PCA and then nationally Hooked on Driving
Always hit up Portland International raceway(20 minutes from me) and Oregon raceway park, the ridge and hopefully hitting up Pacific raceways for the first time this year.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't do track insurance either... I plan on 4 or 5 track events and local autocross. As usual. TGPR is a great location for first time track event, very laid back and plenty of run off if something goes foobar.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
My track goal for this year is to run Laguna Seca! With multiple surgeries the last couple years locking in a date there has not been possible. I just got home yesterday from the hospital again and so far it seems like this last operation may have finally done the trick! I will probably do it through HOD again (hooked on driving). I have been dying to do a higher speed track and Laguna Seca has been in my sights. Car is PM'd. New tires all the way around. Of course the new 5 mile track at Thunderhill is also on my list, but it finally looks like my legs will be up to tracking again! I should be also doing some GGLC track days also! Good things for 2014!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insurance.......always. Like the peice of mind it gives me. Lockton has doable rates.
Love Chin Motorsports, very organized ,very safe and they have a great schedule.

Goal this year: 6 Road Atlanta, 2 Barber and Skip Barber racing school. If I can get my Regional club endorsement I will be happy. 3 SCCA AX nationals, and as much local auto cross as I can handle.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My track goal for this year is to run Laguna Seca! With multiple surgeries the last couple years locking in a date there has not been possible. I just got home yesterday from the hospital again and so far it seems like this last operation may have finally done the trick! I will probably do it through HOD again (hooked on driving). I have been dying to do a higher speed track and Laguna Seca has been in my sights. Car is PM'd. New tires all the way around. Of course the new 5 mile track at Thunderhill is also on my list, but it finally looks like my legs will be up to tracking again! I should be also doing some GGLC track days also! Good things for 2014!!!!
I was at Laguna last Weds. Woot! Will be back there in two weeks with Audi club.

Very much enjoying the anticipation of "The 5 Miles at Thunderhill."

Looking forward to seeing you out there (and meeting you) Sturgeon.

·
Registered
712 Posts
At one point, I was chomping at the bit for track season. With all this snow and new distractions, I'm starting to get concerned for things. I was hoping to be further along in getting some of the things that I "need" out of the way, like buying a new helmet, gloves...and racing suit.

-This year I'd like to do at least 1 HPDE at Summit Point.
-Summit Point also has not so serious track days as well, I'd like to do 3 or 4 of those.
-Autocross season is fast approaching, and I'm sure Silver_Surfer and I will do many many of those.
- Finally, I have some friends who are getting into the Chump Car racing series. Work has already started on the car and I'm curious how often I'll get seat time in that. I know not Lotus specific, but It'll be hella seat time.

On top of that, I have 2 Tail of the Dragon trips planned as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
2 Barber and Skip Barber racing school.

Which schools/class are you planning to attend? I'm interested in something like that too.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Have been fortunate enough to already have three epic track days this year. We have two good tracks an hour from my house and others 3 - 4 hours away.

I think my car is prepped pretty well now and ready to go. There are good local driving schools, open track days, NASA, SCCA and PCA events. My immediate goal is to get my NASA TT license. I will probably be way at the back of that pack, but it is a great place to learn. Planning on 20+ track days and filling in the gaps with some autox.

If you have not had a chance to try the TT format, I recommend it. The most fun I have on the track is when running with a car that is very similar in pace. If it is a GTR or Miata, I don't care.... we get to play. Time trials are that way on virtually every lap since you are gridded by lap times. It should be a fun year.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Got that transmission in yesterday. Just a little more buttoning up and off to see ya at RA this weekend. New tires, rotor, pads, trans, fluids.

And got at least 5 lbs off her yesterday too.

Do need some rear calipers though. Boots are getting shot.

I'm aiming for 6 RAs and 2 VIRs this season.

I use Lockton too. But was thinking yesterday. If crash and total, they get the car with bunch of aftermarket parts I've spent well on. Might be better to just take the lumps, get a stocker for maybe high 20s and do another conversion? I'm insuring for $40,000 with 10% deductable is $36,000. Perhaps could find a prepped up replacement car for that. I figure that's more than I could get for my car now even after investing North of $75,000

·
Illegal Alien
5,260 Posts
Insurance.......always. Like the peice of mind it gives me. Lockton has doable rates.
Love Chin Motorsports, very organized ,very safe and they have a great schedule.

Goal this year: 6 Road Atlanta, 2 Barber and Skip Barber racing school. If I can get my Regional club endorsement I will be happy. 3 SCCA AX nationals, and as much local auto cross as I can handle.
You can do the Skippy 3-day racing school and get an LoC to waive provisional license races and move right to a full regional license.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You can do the Skippy 3-day racing school and get an LoC to waive provisional license races and move right to a full regional license.
I did that a few years back, but then life and work intervened and I let it all lapse. Have to get back in there one day.

Track days this year...

Chin at Sebring in March, probably again in June, maybe one day in August (on the Chin Summer Weight Loss Program) and we'll see from there.

I need to get up to Road Atlanta this year. I have a new office in Atlanta that I will need to spend time at, so maybe I can swing something.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I was at Laguna last Weds. Woot! Will be back there in two weeks with Audi club.

Very much enjoying the anticipation of "The 5 Miles at Thunderhill."

Looking forward to seeing you out there (and meeting you) Sturgeon.
So glad to see you getting so much track time this season - figures you'd start getting lapping time just as you move out of state. Careful though guys if you start getting competitive with him he'll upgrade something massive or just move out of state!

As many have said I don't do track insurance either as I do so many events that they won't cover the economics just don't work. I know if I ball it up it would be a while until I could replace her which holds me back just a bit. Or at least I tell myself it does.

First events out here aren't until mid-April. Last season I did a late April event and just about froze to death (first time camping in my trailer and I didn't have a heater in 31 weather). While now she's insulated and heated I probably won't play to go out until May so I've still got plenty of time to get her all ready. Need to do all the basic fluids and full inspection and I picked up a used 2-11 Accusump that I need to install. Figure I'll wait until it's a bit warmer out as I don't feel like working in my 50 degree garage. Well not until I have to anyway.

This season I'm planning to do as much NASA as I can with everything taking second priority to that, save for BMW club events. Given all I just did to the car I want to run time trials as much as possible. Our local track, HPR, is also starting their own simple classed time trial format for just "street" cars. By the simple classing rules my car is in the same class as a stock Cayman S. I'd guess my car is 10-12 seconds faster than a Cayman S so they'll most likely change the format after the season so I'm guessing a few of us will dominate it with all the other truly street guys being in a grouping somewhere off the lead pace. Either way it'll be fun for everyone to get "official" times and know their ranks, etc.

They are also starting night lapping about twice a month which I'm really looking forward to. I've done some night racing in Frank and my E30 (Chump Car race) and it was an absolute blast. Nothing like dive bombing someone into a corner in the dark with 1985 headlights. Haven't spent much time on it yet but I want to upgrade the lights with some rally LED bars, something removable for normal days. 1985 headlights were ok with 1985 power levels but I don't think my current lights would cut it at 9/10ths.

Yesterday it was 63 and today 60. Tomorrow 59 so I'm planning to drive her to work (if I remembered to plug in the tender, better go check...)

-Ross

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2 Barber and Skip Barber racing school.

Which schools/class are you planning to attend? I'm interested in something like that too.
Two Barber Track days with Chin Motorsports possibly a third.

We are still looking at Skip Barber Schools schedule to hammer out dates by fall.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have been fortunate enough to already have three epic track days this year. We have two good tracks an hour from my house and others 3 - 4 hours away.

I think my car is prepped pretty well now and ready to go. There are good local driving schools, open track days, NASA, SCCA and PCA events. My immediate goal is to get my NASA TT license. I will probably be way at the back of that pack, but it is a great place to learn. Planning on 20+ track days and filling in the gaps with some autox.

If you have not had a chance to try the TT format, I recommend it. The most fun I have on the track is when running with a car that is very similar in pace. If it is a GTR or Miata, I don't care.... we get to play. Time trials are that way on virtually every lap since you are gridded by lap times. It should be a fun year.
Its all about the seat time bro!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So glad to see you getting so much track time this season - figures you'd start getting lapping time just as you move out of state. Careful though guys if you start getting competitive with him he'll upgrade something massive or just move out of state!

As many have said I don't do track insurance either as I do so many events that they won't cover the economics just don't work. I know if I ball it up it would be a while until I could replace her which holds me back just a bit. Or at least I tell myself it does.

First events out here aren't until mid-April. Last season I did a late April event and just about froze to death (first time camping in my trailer and I didn't have a heater in 31 weather). While now she's insulated and heated I probably won't play to go out until May so I've still got plenty of time to get her all ready. Need to do all the basic fluids and full inspection and I picked up a used 2-11 Accusump that I need to install. Figure I'll wait until it's a bit warmer out as I don't feel like working in my 50 degree garage. Well not until I have to anyway.

This season I'm planning to do as much NASA as I can with everything taking second priority to that, save for BMW club events. Given all I just did to the car I want to run time trials as much as possible. Our local track, HPR, is also starting their own simple classed time trial format for just "street" cars. By the simple classing rules my car is in the same class as a stock Cayman S. I'd guess my car is 10-12 seconds faster than a Cayman S so they'll most likely change the format after the season so I'm guessing a few of us will dominate it with all the other truly street guys being in a grouping somewhere off the lead pace. Either way it'll be fun for everyone to get "official" times and know their ranks, etc.

They are also starting night lapping about twice a month which I'm really looking forward to. I've done some night racing in Frank and my E30 (Chump Car race) and it was an absolute blast. Nothing like dive bombing someone into a corner in the dark with 1985 headlights. Haven't spent much time on it yet but I want to upgrade the lights with some rally LED bars, something removable for normal days. 1985 headlights were ok with 1985 power levels but I don't think my current lights would cut it at 9/10ths.

Yesterday it was 63 and today 60. Tomorrow 59 so I'm planning to drive her to work (if I remembered to plug in the tender, better go check...)

-Ross
Good to see you Ross!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'll be taking my Elise to the track for the first time on May 2! Signed up for FATT at Summit Point, got my Snell 2010 helmet, gonna get another GoPro soon. So excited! Might try doing Lime Rock later this year (parents live in CT). Started a thread in MidAtlantic region to guage FATT interest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts