The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Now tell us, did you accidently honk the horn at any point? lol (so easy to do in an autox event with the elise/exige).
rotfl 0:15

Very nice Dan!! Your first run looked pretty fast, I think if you didn't spin it would have been a very good run. You seemed to be taking it easy on the second.

Was this El toro? pretty long course.

Edit: nevermind, beat me to it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya the rear facing video was one of my last runs and was definitely a lot faster. The second forward facing run my instructor told me to take it easy lol

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
haha, yeah. Some of my slowest runs were with instructors, not because of them, its just that its hard for me to concentrate on driving and use their input at the same time. I'm not used to hearing through a helmet.

Over all did you like how the car did? did you fit inside with helmet fine? seats held you in ok?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car was great, zero problems. I can easily get in and out with the helmet on. The seats were better than the Mustang but not nearly as good as my instructors 911 with five point harness lol

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
ahh, and you learned NOT to lift ( the easy way ! )

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
hmm, I need more practice with the exige, I'll sometimes go to downshift and not remember which gear I was in. Stick shift is hard to drive fast.

·
Registered
570 Posts
hmm, I need more practice with the exige, I'll sometimes go to downshift and not remember which gear I was in. Stick shift is hard to drive fast.
Practice x 10.

I now use sim racing to hone my skills between track days. The most cost effective investment i have yet made. Many here have theoretically fast cars, but it is only as fast as the driver is capable.

Some of the slowest drivers spin the most and blame it on something mechanical vs input. I can enter a turn and, due to input, make it understeer heavily or oversteer heavily, at similar speeds mind you.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not sure if I can use a sim to learn driving stick shift better, I just suck. Need more real world practice. Not sure if I told you, but I've only ever drove automatic, learned manual on the Exige driving down from Oakland.

·
Registered
354 Posts
One of our local guys qualified 1st of 10 for the GT Aademy shown at the Speed channel & will be going to Silverstone. He also happen to be a very fast driver (he has been autocrossing & doing track days for a while). Every little bit helps.
Our local SCCA is always open to newbies. More info is found here:
California Sports Car Club - Solo - SCCA
You can see the fastest Lotus cars in the country at our events.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I have a lot to improve on but in my first day pushing the car I shaved 6 seconds off my original time. The only thing is I worry about damaging the carbon fiber parts. The skirts are a lot more fragile than the front splitter.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Damage from cones?

From my first track day I hit the brakes where I shouldnt have and ran off the road, hopping a curb(no spin). It scraped a bit of the under tray and one of the undertray bolts, and surely would have ripped anything additional right off.

For me, where I track, faster is safer. ;)

but auto x is a different animal, and i have zero criticism for you and others who do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts