The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first autocross today out at Nashville Speedway. Man was that fun. I spun out twice and hit several cones, but in the end I got the fastest time in Novice class. However, I came in 2nd somehow to an Evo which I'm curious how they got to the time they announced at the end which was really like 10 seconds faster than what I really did so I'm looking that up now, something about packs or pax or something like that. Oh well, it was a blast still and I do think I'll return to the next event with my more track prepped car that I built.

Anyways, this is just me saying how much fun I had doing autocross today. Everyone with an Elise should try this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats! Autocross is so much fun and very addicting.

The way they compared you is with PAX. Basically its a way to try a level the playing field so you can see approximately how drivers in way different cars compare. So you in SS have a harder PAX then a Hyundai in HS.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Hey I'm glad you liked it! Used to be an avid autocrosser myself till my car started crapping out a little. Lotus Elise is the best car I've ever driven for auto-x. It's almost too good.

Do you have an Elige? If so, I recommend Toyo Proxes R888 street tires next time you need a tire change. They are the best street tire for auto-x in my opinion; just superb.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! I was considering coming over for the event, but tires won't make the trip :(. Glad you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Pax is a multiplier to allow you to compare times to cars that would normally be in defferent classes. Your car probably had a superstock multiplier and the evo probably had A stock or STU multiplier which is smaller (easier). Your pax time is theoreticlly what you could have run if you were in the fastest class (Amod). Think of it like a handicap system..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Indeed! WELCOME to an addiction...just started myself, and I am soooooo hooked! I can't get enough...

And boy is it an expensive hobby, but so worth the rush!

Went through my first set of racing tires...ouch!!...oh yah...btw...only had them for two weekends...ok...there was a private track day in there, but still BIG OUCHY in the wallet.

:shift:

Hope you have as much fun as I do!!! WOOT WOOT! :clap::nanner::clap:

Oh yah, another BTW...you may want to record yourself! I just started recording my driving with my Chase Cam and it is such a huge training tool, especially with the dashware...I recommend it HIGHLY!:bow::bow:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...autocross can be as cheap as you want it to be, no reason to be pushed away over costs - one driver at our SASCA events wallows through the course in a beat-up ten-year-old cavalier like a drunken whale, and i can tell you that he has at least as much fun as anyone there...

·
Registered
381 Posts
...autocross can be as cheap as you want it to be, no reason to be pushed away over costs - one driver at our SASCA events wallows through the course in a beat-up ten-year-old cavalier like a drunken whale, and i can tell you that he has at least as much fun as anyone there...
Agreed:)...My problem is I have a NEED FOR SPEED...so, driving a "clunker" around the course would be VERY sad, as I am now completely spoiled driving a 2006 Noble M400 :coolnana:

But, you are absolutely right...there is a local guy here that drives a VW Bug...it's cute :p and he has a great time (or so I imagine...he keeps coming out). I say good for him! :clap:

As for me, I will enjoy the beauty and speed of the Noble :shift:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I was wondering if adding the Chase Cam was worth it, but I think my helmet will get in the way of the camera lens :(
How big is your head? -poke- Seriously, where were you going to mount it? Mine is mounted on the harness bar, and my helmet doesn't block any of the view. Having a video recorder (even better, one that records G-forces) is a great tool for reviewing technique, or just getting a fix between auto-x or track days...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was wondering if adding the Chase Cam was worth it, but I think my helmet will get in the way of the camera lens :(
Nah! It's so versatile! You can put it anywhere and the picture quality and sound are amazing!!!

In fact, I just posted a new thread with a recording of my Auto X this last weekend...check it out...Chase Cam Rocks!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
How big is your head? -poke- Seriously, where were you going to mount it? Mine is mounted on the harness bar, and my helmet doesn't block any of the view. Having a video recorder (even better, one that records G-forces) is a great tool for reviewing technique, or just getting a fix between auto-x or track days...
Pretty big :coolnana: I drove another LT member's Exige S with a ChaseCam mounted and my helmet blocked the cam a bit. I had to cock my head to the side the whole run... But if you can mount if anywhere, that'd work.

Nah! It's so versatile! You can put it anywhere and the picture quality and sound are amazing!!!

In fact, I just posted a new thread with a recording of my Auto X this last weekend...check it out...Chase Cam Rocks!

That's reassuring. I'll check your thread out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also did my first Autocross at Nashville superspeedway in July. Maybe we can meet out there sometime in the near future!
That'd be cool.

Also, here's some pics from the event. I'm amazed at how much the body can still roll with how stiff the suspension is on the Elise(sport pack). This is with a very new set of Dunlop Direzza z1 Star specs.

·
Registered
419 Posts
just you wait...it gets better

yesterday I did my 9th autoX in my M3 with the BMW club. It is SO satisfying to see yourself get smoother and faster. I am still midpack in M Modified but yesterday I beat my instructor!!!!

he drives the same car as me and has instructed me for 4 or 5 events. I beat him by only about 0.1 second but it felt great. He was very impressed and noted how well I have must have been instructed!! haha

the addiction is complete, I reckon autocross is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

now for those r comp slicks and camber plates........:wave::clap::coolnana:

·
Registered
5 Posts
now try a race track, full house at lime rock today for the SCDA track day. Six lotus represented very well from stock to track only, could use a few more! SCDA1.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh. Do you have some shocks you would recommend? I'd like to stay in Supersport so I don't want to change out the springs.

I've been looking at getting the BWR anti-roll bar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.