1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This plaque pretty much explains it.

bestw.jpg

Difficult photo.

Went off after a combination of "small" mistakes. Early apex, looked down, probably lifted at about 100mph. About 500 feet across dry grass to a very effective tirewall. I was relaxed, knew I'd stop.
Body damage, new clam, door, windscreen, paint. Better than ever.
I've got my courage back, and have a better respect for this sport.

It was Valentines Day, GF with me. All worked out great as we traveled to Hypersport near Atlanta to drop the Elise off. Chateau Elan is nice. ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lift off = all bets are off. (I know too well :( )

Love the shadow box to commemorate the event! :D

Glad to hear it's back and you're back on the track.

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
no idea if it could've helped, but search for Moss Emergency Line.

glad you're ok.

·
Registered
425 Posts
if you lift just for a sec will hitting the gas the right way save you? still learning here..

we get lift throttle un understeer in these cars as well.. some times i will use it.. but i haven't gotten in trouble from it yet

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
if you lift just for a sec will hitting the gas the right way save you? still learning here..

we get lift throttle un understeer in these cars as well.. some times i will use it.. but i haven't gotten in trouble from it yet
I think you mean lift throttle oversteer (or trailing throttle oversteer)... Yes you can lift to allow the car to rotate and then get back on throttle and bring the rear back in... It however does take quite a bit of skill to do this properly and it does not work in every situation. You need to develop the skill to know when you can use this maneuver and when not to.

If your going to practice this make sure you do it in a safe place with nothing to hit and no other cars are around you.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can use lift throttle oversteer in slow turns, and I think that is probably what I instinctively tried back on Valentine's Day. But at 100+ just crossing a big bump...........happened so fast that I'm not sure how many times we went around.:panic:

This is not the accident, but same track. Turn 10 is at 1:30 and 3:30

Lotus Elise at Carolina Motorsport Park CMP

I should have hit the dirt on left I guess, but apparently was not willing to accept how deep my trouble was. If I'd kept looking downtrack instead of at the bumps at track's edge that might have helped too.
Darn shame I did not have the camera going :wallbang:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
A great place to work on your car control skills is an autocross event, if you haven't gone you should give it a try.

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
Yes, and in snow-covered parking lots.

Or..a driving school with slide cars (controlled often by your instructor)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Another great place to work on your throttle steering would be a good old fashioned skid pad -- best if it is nice and wet so you don't wear out your tires.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
My condolences, BRTHTAKR. I can honestly say I know exactly how you feel. It definitely sucks, but if you do this long enough and at a competitive level, it is GOING to happen. Not 'if' but 'when.'

Just remember even the pros crash, so don't feel too bad. Hope you can get everything fixed/replaced and back on the track soon!

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
The plaque is a good reminder of humility and the "don't lift" adage...we've all done it at some point.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm back at the same track this weekend. They have a very good skidpad and we have a 50% rain forecast. There will be light traffic at this Palmetto Club event, so I'll have lots of opportunity to practice throttle steer.
As to an earlier post about giving gas after the lift: at that point I needed a parachute. -eek-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts