The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the proud owner of a 2003 Lotus Esprit...bought it new and sold it with 1500 miles on it and swore I would never buy another Lotus....well i just picked up a used 05 Elise with 6000 miles on it. While driving home it started running rough and eventually cuts out. Its starts back up again and runs fine for 10 seconds and then goes rough again...could it be bad gas? The last owner had it parked for weeks. Its strange as it starts ok and then runs really rough after a few seconds...any ideas ? THX:confused:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I was the proud owner of a 2003 Lotus Esprit...bought it new and sold it with 1500 miles on it and swore I would never buy another Lotus....well i just picked up a used 05 Elise with 6000 miles on it. While driving home it started running rough and eventually cuts out. Its starts back up again and runs fine for 10 seconds and then goes rough again...could it be bad gas? The last owner had it parked for weeks. Its strange as it starts ok and then runs really rough after a few seconds...any ideas ? THX:confused:
The gas could be old. I had bad gas in my car before, and it acted like you describe. I'm not saying that's what it is for sure, but it's a good lead. Good luck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Try fresh gas, make sure the MAF sensor wire is clean, and make sure it has the latest flash update for the ECU (it fixed a couple rough idle problems). If you still have troubles, you might post a little more info, e.g. any modifications to the car, or stock?

John

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
No offense to the mighty and beautiful Esprit... :bow: or their patient owners... :up:

However, I don't think you can even REMOTELY compare reliability of an Elise/Exige to the maintenance nightmare of the Esprit. :crazyeyes EVER. :mad: :thwack:

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help...interestingly enough, I put some fresh gas in and all was well for 35 miles, now the car did it again and the check engine light came on....is there a way to reset? I cant get this car to dealer for a few days and I need a car to drive!!!

Car is running fine with engine light on...i saw a thread about how to do a reset and now I cant find it.....thx guys.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
trust me go to your local autoparts store and pick up a $50 obd2 code reader you will always have a use for it. Once you get the code post it and all will give you better guidance on how to rectify it and then clear the code. Good luck and you will love the car!

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I think you're OK. Get the code scanned, post it here, and we'll see what's going on just in case. My money is on things being fine.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
More than likely its a idle to low or too lean code or something along that line from running the bad fuel and the stumbling idle, but it's best to buy and OBD-II reader regardless. More than likely you'll be able to use it on any other cars you have as well.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ignition coils and spark plugs????

·
Registered
344 Posts
Surge is generally caused by a lean condition.

I would run the crap out of it for a few hours.
I mean really dog it.
sure would like to see what it does with a datalogger.

Is it doing this with a/c off?

Can't believe they let you leave that way.

6000 miles.

Did you add any seafoam fuel system cleaner or Justice Brothers fuel system cleaner? If not, do.

Take some pictures of engine compartment I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
From what you're describing, I think the tech would have found the problem the first go around if he were any good. Something sounds strange. :shrug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
2 weeks at dealer and no progress...

Lotus Dealer has replaced the following and still no luck with correcting the hunting problem and rough idle with this car:

1. Mass Airflow Sensor
2. Cat Convert.
3. Coils
4. Ecu
5. O2 sensor
6. Re-flash ECU (three times)
7. Check fuel pressure

Lotus Factory is scratching thier heads...seems that I found the only Elise on the planet that even the Lotus techs cant fix....what a joke. Dealer is waiting for the factory to tell them what to do next....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sorry to hear it.

This is definitely NOT the norm. I wish you had access to Andy, my Lotus tech, because he is no slouch.

Did they check for possible vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have access to Andy...I live in Scottsdale and this is the only dealer in town. Hes a nice guy and trying to help, but I don't understand why Lotus lets a customer sit without a car for two weeks to fix a simple hunting idle problem. Andy is now waiting for instructions and in the mean time, I wait for Lotus to "email" the tech on what to try next. I believe Andy knows his craft and he is trying to keep the price down for me, but if I had to do it over again I would not have bought this dam car.

We have tried everything....I think Im screwed or going to be forced to pay a huge bill for the dealer to "troubleshoot".......

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi

I have just emailed the workshop manager at Lotus with your last posting to see if he can throw any light on your troubles....can't promise, but he is a good chap.

Regards
Richard

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
check the connections to the ecu. wiggle them. they might just be loose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts