The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used Exige and drove it to work yesterday.

I'm amazed at how ignorant people are we it comes to the price of a used Lotus. Just because it says Lotus, does not mean same price as an F1. "Your brand new loaded F250 cost 12k more!" But I guarantee after 5 years it will be worth a whole lot less!

I lost count hearing the phrase "who makes Lotus"?

Almost got hit 3 times in 5 miles by people paying more attention to my car than their driving! Especially the lady that tried to pit maneuver me in a minivan while taking pictures!

If pulling up next to me to look at the car then flooring it makes you feel better about yourself, by all means have at it! This has to be some psychological thing, it happened 5 times!

Keep a towel in your car.......to remove all the finger prints around the door and roof. Comes in handy too for full up adult half face prints on the window.

Last. To the young lady in a Honda with no hubcaps, a useless wing, loud tip and a black front quarter panel.........."You aint worth my time sweetheart! Go look for Vin Diesel"!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
LOL, we all go through that. It will make you wish you had a sticker on your car which reads: "If you have the state minimum insurance on your car, please do not tailgate, I *will* garnish your wages for the difference". But then, it would probably get your car keyed in public parking lots. You will also learn fiberglass and aluminum is VERY magnetic. You will park in the furthest corner of a parking lot, come back an hour later, to discover your car now has a bunch of other cars parked all around it. The fiberglass/aluminum magnetic field just seems to suck other cars in, to park next to it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Welcome to the joy of Lotus ownership :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
:tadts:

Don't worry, not every one you meet will be an ignorant A-holes :mad:. You will actually meet many cool car fanatics on your daily drives :wave:.... (but many DAs too)....

But you will have someone driving stupid around you on most every trip :panic:

·
Registered
502 Posts
LOL, we all go through that. It will make you wish you had a sticker on your car which reads: "If you have the state minimum insurance on your car, please do not tailgate, I *will* garnish your wages for the difference". But then, it would probably get your car keyed in public parking lots. You will also learn fiberglass and aluminum is VERY magnetic. You will park in the furthest corner of a parking lot, come back an hour later, to discover your car now has a bunch of other cars parked all around it. The fiberglass/aluminum magnetic field just seems to suck other cars in, to park next to it.
I didn't know this magnetic was installed on ALL Loti, I thought it was just mine parking 10 spots away from anybody and coming back to ****ty cars parked right next to me.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If pulling up next to me to look at the car then flooring it makes you feel better about yourself, by all means have at it! This has to be some psychological thing, it happened 5 times
I have this attitude on the highway 99.9% of the time.

I am still working on having this attitude with SUV's on twisty mountain roads. But occasionally....

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
The attention you get can be uplifting or upsetting. But the positive experience you get from the drive outweighs everything else! Have a blast but protect her!

·
Registered
708 Posts
The answer to "Who makes Lotus" is "Nigel".

It will leave them bewildered and confused, which is, of course the best reason to use that answer.

·
Registered
905 Posts
When I hear "Who makes Lotus" my reply will be "Uncle Albert used to"
because of the lady on my vid @ 2:45
Tales from my Lotus Exige Part 1 - YouTube

Good to see another Alabama Lotus owner and I'm sure sizzflair is happy to have another one in Enterprise

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
"You will also learn fiberglass and aluminum is VERY magnetic."

ya - and you may also learn the joys of fiberglass repair as a result -...actually not that tough, and a very useful skill, especially around this crowd.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Exotic Owners Code of Conduct

Have a read and remember to be chill about it. We've all had exactly what you describe - and be careful with the "You aint worth my time sweetheart! Go look for Vin Diesel" comments/thoughts and remember that 99% of the time when people see your car they are just in awe as they don't understand. Of course they are going to have questions, it's how you handle those questions that decides if you're a true Lotus owner or a douchebag. Fortunately we have very few of the latter...

If you don't like attention you shouldn't own a Lotus, period.

Pictures of the new ride?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I want to know why when i'm in the lotus i drive slow (sub 100) and don't care about people trying to race me, but when in the BMW i'm a total jackass hoping for some street racing.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I want to know why when i'm in the lotus i drive slow (sub 100) and don't care about people trying to race me, but when in the BMW i'm a total jackass hoping for some street racing.
Oh man, I have to admit to the exact same. In the Lotus I drive at or below the speed limit pretty much all the time (save for the rare times I'm giving someone a ride for the first time). I also have a 2008 Pathfinder that I drive like grandpa - but my RS4, holy sh!t I drive it like a a$$hole. I ride people's bumper and just can't wait to pass them. I guess I figure it's a lot more stealthy and no one will remember it (there are SOOOO many A4/S4s here it's crazy). I'm actually selling it soon - I think it'll help my lifespan significantly!

Glad I'm not the only one, not that I'm any less douchey when I do that....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just bought a used Exige and drove it to work yesterday.

I'm amazed at how ignorant people are we it comes to the price of a used Lotus. Just because it says Lotus, does not mean same price as an F1. "Your brand new loaded F250 cost 12k more!" But I guarantee after 5 years it will be worth a whole lot less!

I lost count hearing the phrase "who makes Lotus"?

Almost got hit 3 times in 5 miles by people paying more attention to my car than their driving! Especially the lady that tried to pit maneuver me in a minivan while taking pictures!

If pulling up next to me to look at the car then flooring it makes you feel better about yourself, by all means have at it! This has to be some psychological thing, it happened 5 times!

Keep a towel in your car.......to remove all the finger prints around the door and roof. Comes in handy too for full up adult half face prints on the window.

Last. To the young lady in a Honda with no hubcaps, a useless wing, loud tip and a black front quarter panel.........."You aint worth my time sweetheart! Go look for Vin Diesel"!
welcome to my world rotfl Make sure you double check the corners when you're in the parking lot... I can't tell you how many times people in bigger cars plow through the corners without looking.

Oh, you haven't heard it yet... I drive a Lamborghini Lotus according to most of the people down here :coolnana:

P.S. Let's go for a cruise this weekend... when your wife is sleeping.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Everything stated here is the truth. You instantly become the "baller" & "rich guy" when people at work see it...makes them wonder & sometimes not in a good way.

On the road, you'll get so many mixed reactions from the haters, tailgaters, picture takers, kids staring, adults staring, ricers, racers and those that just dont care..etc..etc..etc

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
many do not drive the car to work for those reasons (and others) but what the heck....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts