The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, got a chance to drive my 2-Eleven on legal tarmac at Jack’s event at Streets of Willow Wednesday and at Big Willow yesterday. With the help of Jack and Coby McLaughlin, we put 280 miles on it and the car is a total blast… everything I expected and more. It feels like a keeper; a car to learn from and enjoy for a long time. The open cockpit feels almost like a formula car and is much more engaging than a roadster with windshield. With the 6-point harness reefed down tight, you feel like part of the car. The steering is amazingly effortless and direct, everything feels smooth and intuitive. It feels good. Really good. And very fast, even under the limits imposed by break-in. In fact, Coby, who is an ex pro race driver couldn’t stop raving about the car.

Big thanks to Saint 2-Eleven (AKA Jack), who guided me every step of the way in the nuances and idiosyncrasies of the 2-Eleven, showed me the line at Streets, coached and introduced me to some of the LT gang. Jack continues to expand the definition of saint: who knew it included humiliating Ferraris.

Also big thanks to Desert European Motors,. They solved my reverse lockout problem by replacing the shifter and now the trans shifts like butter.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Sweet. First reaction is (not knowing the track distance) how many laps is 280 miles? wow!

Second, pls advise on the tires and setup. How were the tires set up? Cold pressure? O M I temps? what adjustments did you make, or did u choose to learn the car with one set up and not monkey around with it til u got a few more sessions under belt?

Pictures?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Good one Noah! I imagine your jaw will be tired from the constant grinning.
I added a set of the Urethane motor mount stiffners and the gear shift stiffener to mine. Makes a world of difference. Shifting is much more precise and throttle response definitely more agressive. Cheap additions, well worth the effort to install, which is not much for the mounts if you have a lift, a bit of a nut buster for the stiffener bracket.
Good luck with your new pride and joy, hope to see you with it at LOG 29 in Birmingham.

Al B.
2-11 #204

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet. First reaction is (not knowing the track distance) how many laps is 280 miles? wow!

Second, pls advise on the tires and setup. How were the tires set up? Cold pressure? O M I temps? what adjustments did you make, or did u choose to learn the car with one set up and not monkey around with it til u got a few more sessions under belt?

Pictures?
Most of the miles were put on at the big track at Willow, which is 2.5 miles. The setup was as delivered by the dealer; I want to get used to the stock setup before making changes.

Hot tire pressures were 27 front, 28 rear, if I remember correctly. The instrument panel provides very little hard data: rpm, speed and temp only. Max temp reached was abouy 87 C.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good one Noah! I imagine your jaw will be tired from the constant grinning.
I added a set of the Urethane motor mount stiffners and the gear shift stiffener to mine. Makes a world of difference. Shifting is much more precise and throttle response definitely more agressive. Cheap additions, well worth the effort to install, which is not much for the mounts if you have a lift, a bit of a nut buster for the stiffener bracket.
Good luck with your new pride and joy, hope to see you with it at LOG 29 in Birmingham.

Al B.
2-11 #204
Al,

My grin muscles are torched; I'm going to have to scowl for a week just to bring my face into balance. With Jack aiding and abetting, I put another 120 miles on Saturday at Buttonwillow. The car is now ready for it's 400-mile oil change in time for LCS Friday. BTW, Jack generously offered to help break-in my Spec Miata as well. When I pointed out that it already had 263,000 miles on it, he insisted that it's better to err on the side of caution.

I had Desert European install the Lotus Sport motor mounts on the 2-Eleven when I bought it. I haven't considered the stiffener bracket but might; greater linkage precision is always useful.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Finally, got a chance to drive my 2-Eleven on legal tarmac at Jack’s event at Streets of Willow Wednesday and at Big Willow yesterday. With the help of Jack and Coby McLaughlin, we put 280 miles on it and the car is a total blast… everything I expected and more. It feels like a keeper; a car to learn from and enjoy for a long time. The open cockpit feels almost like a formula car and is much more engaging than a roadster with windshield. With the 6-point harness reefed down tight, you feel like part of the car. The steering is amazingly effortless and direct, everything feels smooth and intuitive. It feels good. Really good. And very fast, even under the limits imposed by break-in. In fact, Coby, who is an ex pro race driver couldn’t stop raving about the car.

Big thanks to Saint 2-Eleven (AKA Jack), who guided me every step of the way in the nuances and idiosyncrasies of the 2-Eleven, showed me the line at Streets, coached and introduced me to some of the LT gang. Jack continues to expand the definition of saint: who knew it included humiliating Ferraris.

Also big thanks to Desert European Motors,. They solved my reverse lockout problem by replacing the shifter and now the trans shifts like butter.
Glad you are having fun!:clap: I was laughing in my helmet after the first 3 laps in my 2-Eleven. My 2nd session I was 5 seconds a lap faster than my Katana Elise. It sure was fun blowing past Z06 vettes:coolnana: Looking forward to LOG.
BTW I was running 25/27 tire pressure hot.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
YouTube - Lotus 2-Eleven vs Ford GT at Grandsport Speedway

I don't know if the youtube link will work, but if so, someone managed to take some footage at one of our club track days. Nice short clip of my 2-11 running down a Ford GT. Granted he was not exactly a track burner, but then this was my second time out and first time with the car set up correctly.
There indeed was a high levely of inner smarmy gratification when the pass took place. ;)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
YouTube - Lotus 2-Eleven vs Ford GT at Grandsport Speedway

I don't know if the youtube link will work, but if so, someone managed to take some footage at one of our club track days. Nice short clip of my 2-11 running down a Ford GT. Granted he was not exactly a track burner, but then this was my second time out and first time with the car set up correctly.
There indeed was a high levely of inner smarmy gratification when the pass took place. ;)
WTF MUSIC?!?

·
Registered
709 Posts
]Nice short clip of my 2-11 running down a Ford GT. Granted he was not exactly a track burner, but then this was my second time out and first time with the car set up correctly.
FWIW, I drove both the 211 and the Ford that day, and I think the 211 would be faster on that track given equivalent drivers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts