The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2005 elise. Car is supercharged and has a brand new motor in it. I test drove the car a few weeks ago and it was running good just a little rich. The owner I purchased the car from told me that he had already paid to get a high performance radiator installed and for the car to properly be tuned since the supercharger and motor were just added. Car has been in the shop this past week being tuned and having the radiator installed. Got the car today (finally) and was cruising around truly enjoying her, under 4k rpms not getting on her at all. I took her home, gave the car its first wash and wax and drove to work. My client wanted a ride so I wanted to get on the car a little, everytime I got on the gas (over 50% throttle) and started hitting higher rpms the entire car started bucking / hesitating / and running awful until i backed off on the gas. Car seems to run and idle perfectly when just cruising and not trying to get anywhere fast. Was curious if i could have wet something washing it? Has this happened to any of you? Could possibly be a bad tune, or who knows. The shop is 2 hours from my house so I would like to figure it out myself. Love the car, Its an absolute blast to drive I just want it running perfectly now! Any help / input would GREATLY be appreciated. Also any recommendations for service / mechanics on long island would be great also. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
easiest thing to ck next is eng mgmt fuse. Couldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Have you an owner's manual?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you an owner's manual?
Nope, car didnt come with anything but the keys haha. Literally just had the car shipped to my house today It was in a shop the entire week getting tuned. I just drove it home from work, I live in NY so ****load of traffic so I couldn't really give her any gas to see if it was still stumbling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dash said 183 however it was sitting in the parking lot at my job for about an hour. Started it, got on the gas pretty quickly but even after driving it for 5-10 mins it was still doing it.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
What did they tune it with? My understanding is that they cant tune with the stock ecu unless using a canned tune or with fastworks.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Interesting... What did Waldir use to tune it? He doesn't have an ECU editor... Did you see him doing the tuning?

What supercharger system is in the car?

When it started bucking, did the red shift light come on? IF unsure, can you reproduce the issue?

-Phil

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
When you washed it did water get on the engine? If water seeped down your spark plug tubes it will cause arcing and hesitations and such. The plug shafts should be coated with dielectric grease which keeps the water out. Check this first. Tommy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting... What did Waldir use to tune it? He doesn't have an ECU editor... Did you see him doing the tuning?

What supercharger system is in the car?

When it started bucking, did the red shift light come on? IF unsure, can you reproduce the issue?

-Phil
I live on long island and his shop is upstate so I did not see the tune being done nor do I know how it was tuned. I had the car transported back to my house since I work crazy hours. I warmed the car up today for about 8 mins cruising around normal and tried to reproduce the hesitation and there was NONE. However I noticed if i try to get on it at all within the first 4-5 mins of her warming up the bucking is real, even only getting on it a little. I read in the manual last night something about an rpm limit until the car is warmed up? The supercharger is the M62 so I was told, does that sound correct?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you washed it did water get on the engine? If water seeped down your spark plug tubes it will cause arcing and hesitations and such. The plug shafts should be coated with dielectric grease which keeps the water out. Check this first. Tommy
Should I cover the engine bay with a towel next time I wash? Im sure some water dropped down the vents, I did my best not to directly spray it into the vents but It without a doubt dropped down a little. Ill check plugs tomorrow when its light.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Should I cover the engine bay with a towel next time I wash? Im sure some water dropped down the vents, I did my best not to directly spray it into the vents but It without a doubt dropped down a little. Ill check plugs tomorrow when its light.

The ECU will limit your RPM unless it is up to temp.

Usually when I wash my exige, I put a plastic board over the coils. One time we had a heavy rain here in CA (LOL not this year) and I left my Exige outside. What happened was that the water built up in the valleys between the coils and caused it to short. After drying it out, it was fine after.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
No, you do not need to cover your engine when you wash your car. You need to pull your coil packs and add dielectric grease into the coil pack boot. This keeps water out. I have washed, sprayed, driven, and parked my car in a downpour and have never had a problem, but I use a generous amount of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, you do not need to cover your engine when you wash your car. You need to pull your coil packs and add dielectric grease into the coil pack boot. This keeps water out. I have washed, sprayed, driven, and parked my car in a downpour and have never had a problem, but I use a generous amount of dielectric grease.
Great, I will do that! Thank you for the advice. :clap:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts