The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this on the thread about Steve Harris Imports. I wanted to put it here also in case some of you don't read all of the posts.

I went to SHI today and had the opportunity to drive the red/biscuit demo with touring. This car is awesome. I am 6'5" and got in and out much more easily than I expected (top on). I also felt like I had plenty of room once inside. I did take off my shoes to drive, but to be honest, I didn't even try it with them on.
It was much easier for my to drive than both the miata and the s2000. I also had more room than in the Z4.

Okay, so here go my first impressions. There is not overwhelming power to the engine, but it revs very smoothly, and the cars light weight allows it to get up to speed quickly. We were taking the freeway onramp at 80 mph, and it easily swerved around a cardboard box that came out of nowhere around the turn (at this point the salesman was driving).

I was surprised when we passed a lady in a Chevy Malibu, and her car looked huge through the passenger window. After I got the wheel, I waited for a Tahoe to catch up to me and could just see the top of his tires through my window. This car is very small. I also felt like there was a large blindspot over my left shoulder. At one point I stuck my head out the window to make sure I could merge left.

The sound of the engine is great. I loved hearing it behind my head. I kept the rpms under 6000k, but I was interested to see that there isn't even a redline on the gauge. I guess the light tells you when you need to shift, but I never had it come on. I noticed a boxter coming up behind me, so I slowed down a little and said to the salesman, "do you think he will look?" He said, "Oh he will look alright." When he came up he leaned over and gave a big wave as if to say how cool the car was.

Around town on state street, the car was very easy to drive. The gearbox is smooth, and the clutch engages at just the right time. The only chance we got to check the grippiness was on the on/off ramps, but there wasn't a hint of squeal from the tires. I wanted a mountain road. The ride was much smoother than I expected. Build quality was also much better than I imagined.

They have not received a customer car yet (right adamant), but he felt like they should start coming in soon. He mentioned that there has been some mix up, and that the cars at first aren't coming in the order they should. He was totally up front.

I didn't take a camera--sorry. My overall thoughts were: Excellent car, roomy interior, most fun driving that I have ever had, very very small exterior (almost scary).

Ask away if you have any questions.

Craig

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Agreed. There's the nicely accelerating engine up to 6200, then the "get the hell out of the way" engine past that. I like that part a lot! There's nothing quite like downshifting at 50 MPH into 3rd and sqaushing the gas, then rocketing by a couple of slower cars while the car is screaming! The best part of my day everyday...:clap:

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Surferjer said:
Agreed. There's nothing quite like downshifting at 50 MPH into 3rd and sqaushing the gas, then rocketing by a couple of slower cars while the car is screaming!
3rd? Sure you're not dropping to 2nd? 2nd-3rd shift is nearly 90mph. On my first drive in the fed prototype I got into the cam in 2nd and held it to the shift light (redline), grabbed 3rd and thought, "Hmmm, we're going pretty good, wonder how fast I'm going?" Glancing at the speedo noted it was at 94 and climbing fast... in a 45 zone... :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know about the cams, and I know that I was shifting just before they kick in. I was being gentle on the car since it was still in break in mileage. Maybe in a month or so they will be over the breakin period.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
khamai said:
3rd? Sure you're not dropping to 2nd? 2nd-3rd shift is nearly 90mph.
I thought redline in 2nd was somewhere around 65mph? I don't remember the exact number, but I don't believe it's more than 70mph.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Conefusion...
I just checked the facts & you're correct as is Surfer. My bad... fuzzy memory! 3-4 shift is at 89. 2-3 at 64. per R&T (8000 rpm redline).

50mph in 3rd is about 4500 rpm
50mph in 2nd is about 6250 rpm (in the cam)

Kiyoshi

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
pcpacker said:
I know about the cams, and I know that I was shifting just before they kick in. I was being gentle on the car since it was still in break in mileage. Maybe in a month or so they will be over the breakin period.
that is if the dealer doesn't sell the demo first. :rolleyes: :mad:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Craig,
On Friday I got an email from PCA friend who says he saw an Elise on the freeway
and waved. I asked if he was in his Boxster, he said yes. LOL It is a small city.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Adamant,

I could tell that the Boxster owner was cool just from his reaction. He obviously knew what the car was. It is a small town, and becomes smaller when you are getting all of the attention that an Elise gives you.

Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts