The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started my car, backed out of my driveway to and got the engine check light. Went to Autozone to get it checked out and got the code P1301 and P0302. If I understand right, this mean there was a misfire in the 2nd cam?

What should I do from here? First time with the lotus, thank you all!

It's a 2005

·
Registered
490 Posts
I started my car, backed out of my driveway to and got the engine check light. Went to Autozone to get it checked out and got the code P1301 and P0302. If I understand right, this mean there was a misfire in the 2nd cam?

What should I do from here? First time with the lotus, thank you all!

It's a 2005
Check your cam lobes. This is a common problem in earlier Elises.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the coil out. If I understand right, it goes (1,2,3,4) in that order when looking at it from the trunk... But just I case I pulled both the middle 2 out. Here are some picture... I don't see any arching. Look similar to the other one (1,4)...

2nd one

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another Note - When I first start my engine today, it was hesitant about starting up. Looking 2-3 extra second more than normal to start up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
those look horrible, grease them up with some dielectric grease regardless. Also check your cams.
Should I just go buy new ones and replace them?

And I'm not 100% sure how to check the cam, can you point me in the right direction ? THank you!

Also should I pull out the spark plug and check? Haven't yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How is mine looking? It seem relatively smooth, no crack or rough surface all around

I put the cover back on, Since I got the Code P1301 and P0302. I assume this is mainly from the cam misfiring. I looked at the other thread and people recommend just lubing all 4 up with Dieelectric Grease. Should I just do that for now, reset the CEL and see if it happens again? I will get new Coil Pack, but it might take a month or so.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Hard to see. You are looking for wear on the elongated end of the large lobes on the intake side.(toward the front of the car) You can put the car in 6th gear and move it forward slightly and this will rotate the cames to see the each lobe all the way around. If there are no grooves or scratches you should be fine. Yes clean and coat the entire shaft of the coil packs with dielectic grease. Here is a picture of a worn cam lobe,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Lobes 2 and 4 look OK but can not see the others.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lobes 2 and 4 look OK but can not see the others.
The other ones look pretty much the same, I ran my finger around the back and double check all of it. Seem smooth all the way around.

I will try the coil (checking spark plug first), Hopefully the CEL will clear! Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Installed everything back in with the Dieelectric Grease for now. Drove 10 miles, no CEL light. Am I in the clear?

Will be ordering some new Coil Park soon.

Thank you for all your help guys!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't think you need new coil packs. Maybe you could check with Lotus or Toyota to see about new rubbers for the top. I've sometimes sprayed a little light oil down the sparkplug tubes to stop them from rusting. Also, it would be a good idea to pull your sparkplugs and post photos of those - would give us a lot more info.

-Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been pointed to this thread..... might be having a similar problem with my '05 elise. How did this story turn out? New coil packs? New plugs? FEED ME! I need to learn!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts