The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It didn't take long...

Photo taken from a Ferrari track day (last weekend?) at Lime Rock. There was also an Exige, a Maserati and some P-cars in addition to the machines from Maranello.

Photos by photographer Robert Ondrovic from the NSX website:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37050

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The Exige is one of the HRM cars so I'm going to assume Mr. Starr was behind the wheel of the Fed car.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes- According to the photographer, the car was brought to Lime Rock by Mr. Starr at HRM. Their website currently has an Ardent/Biscuit listed as their "Deal of the Week" ...but no price is listed.

·
Lotus Sales
627 Posts
That's what they were built for!!!

Yes...........It was Hunting Ridge Motorsports. we had our two Exiges there and took out the US S2 for a few laps under the Green Group at a slower pace because it's not broken in as of yet. We still did a 1:07 at Lime Rock with the stock car without the Sport Pac. Our Exiges did the Marque justice with VERY few passes by Ferraris in the advanded group. It was a very well run event and a good time was had by all. The 333SP has the track record at Lime Rock driven by Didier Theys at 44 seconds WITH the chicane!!!! Didier was not driving this weekend and we were passing the 333SP. It did sound nice when we passed him though...............

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark- Thanks for the update. I hope to meet you at WGI or Lime Rock some day. Post up here if you're ever coming down to Summit Pt. or VIR.

Love that GTO- have never seen one in person. Looks like the TR is (surprisingly) pushing him hard! Well, a lot of it is the driver ...and how much he's willing to risk his "baby". If you passed the 333SP that is certainly a feather in anyone's cap.

·
Lotus Sales
627 Posts
Train of Cars

Hey DCNSX,
That was a reworked 308 with twin turbos, removable fiberglass body panels and on and on and on. Not a real 288GTO but it probably had more power than a real GTO. It didn't matter. I won't mention the Ferrari repair shop he owns but will tell you I even passed him in the STOCK Elise S2. He was slow as poop and should have been running in the blue group. Someone mentioned that theses cars must have been on a parade lap or something to be bunched up so closely. It was at track out at the end of West Bend and I'd guess we are all doing about 100MPH and trust me, it was NO parade lap!!!! The egos driving some of the Ferrari cars couldn't stand the fact of a small little Lotus passing them. I look forward to driving Summit Point again some time in October with Track Masters. A fantastic and well run organization that I highly reccomend!!!

Attachments

·
Lotus Sales
627 Posts
Correction

Sorry................The above photo is going into West Bend at the top of the Uphill..............This is tarck out at West Bend......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Talent is a bigger force than egos.

Let's be honest - by mentioning you passed a 333SP you need to follow that with - it wasn't being driven hard.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re: talent. I was quite pleased with myself when I passed a new Carrera Turbo in my '79 Rx-7 at WGI. Then I had to remind myself that I was (for a few laps only) driving with the Beginner group and this guy was probably at the track for the first time. Also, his toy was "at risk" to the tune of $100k more than mine! It felt good all the same. ;)

Of course, getting PASSED by a "slower" car brings one back to reality. At that same event- Many of the NSX's in the Intermediate group were getting passed by a WRX wagon. I believe the driver was sandbagging a little- he probably should've been in the Advanced group. His bumper sticker said "You have just been passed by a wagon".

Mark: I ran with Trackmasters earlier this year at Summit Pt. -so perhaps I'll see you there this Fall.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I've been passed by many "slower" cars with really good drivers.

I do OK with what I have, but I'm not out there to impress anyone at track days - I'm there to have fun.

I can also see all the $$ everytime I go in alittle hot, etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of these days I hope to be a "fast" driver with a fast car (the Elise of course!). I started out with the '79 Rx-7 (fairly expendable) and have also tracked the NSX a few times. Taking things gradually has given me the confidence to track a more expensive car.

Given the limits of my natural ability (and limited track time) I'll never be TRULY fast- but I will sure have fun trying. I think the Elise is the perfect car, unmodified, for road and track use. Can't wait to get it out there.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>passed by a WRX wagon. I believe the driver was sandbagging a little- he probably should've been in the Advanced group. His bumper sticker said "You have just been passed by a wagon". <<<

Was the WRX silver? That may have been Keith Casey who won a National SCCA autocross title last year. His WRX says that on the back.

Stan

·
Lotus Sales
627 Posts
Hey Meat,
DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Do you think I really have to mention that the 333SP wasn't being driven hard????? Do you really think that I might even believe in my thick head that I could keep up with a 333SP if anyone with any talent was driving it at a fraction of it's potential????? I mentioned earlier that the 333SP has the TRACK RECORD at Lime Rock..............No ego involved but I can drive my Exige and trust me when I tell you that the guys out there driving the 355 and 360 Challenege cars were driving as hard as they could!!!! Yeah, it would have cost more if their car went bump in a turn but that wasn't in their minds in the advanced group. The Exige is a better suited car for that track with a short straight and lots of turns. I was still passed by several cars. Better drivers and a great car. Now, passing and lapping the F40 when it was driven by the head instructor was fun. Do I even think for a second that the F40 was being driven to it's limit ??? Not for a split second. I know what that car and that driver were capable of!!!! That was a case of someone else's car and $400,000 entering your mind with every turn. That is a good reason to buy an Elise!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stan- I Don't recall if the WRX wagon was silver or not (or even which state his plates were from). But he was certainly a good driver. I believe he may have been running R-compound tires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stan said:

Was the WRX silver? That may have been Keith Casey who won a National SCCA autocross title last year. His WRX says that on the back.

Stan
Not me. I have yet to do a track day. ;)

However, since I make and sell those decals, it could have been anyone.

--KC

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: That's what they were built for!!!

Mark Starr said:
Y took out the US S2 for a few laps under the Green Group at a slower pace because it's not broken in as of yet. We still did a 1:07 at Lime Rock with the stock car without the Sport Pac.
Mark,

How do you think the S2 will fare in stock form,, broken in, with an open track. Will it edge into the 02s, for example?

With R comps?

Just curious if you have any gut impressions what the car is capable of.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
The 333SP is absolutely amazing and it sounds glorious. The Victory by Design DVDs are fantastic too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts