The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I are looking at a 2007 240 s. it's got 12k miles and of course no warranty. We're going to look around for a 3rd party warranty just because I'm slightly worried about getting this car and having something go out on us. Can anyone point out anything to look for based on maybe known issues?

On a side note this car is insane. I'm coming from a Mazda speed miata and the way this drives makes me feel like a blind man that can see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
if its a 2007 in the us, it is "regular" exige-s (220hp) not an s240.

Make sure there is and has been no body damage, and that it shifts smoothly (never will be a slick shifting as a miata though). Really there is not a ton to wory about for the cars. I sould pay for a PPI at a local dealer if you need some piece of mind. I am of the opinion that 3rd party warentees are not a good investment personlly

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
only "major" stuff are the oil cooler lines, which may not be an issue if yours is a late build MY07. If not, there is a recall going (not fully implemented yet) to fix.

2nd is the cam wear, but I've not heard of a MY07 experiencing this issue.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I'd pay for a dealer (or Lotus knowledgeable mechanic) to do a PPI.
I'd skip the aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd pay for a dealer (or Lotus knowledgeable mechanic) to do a PPI.
I'd skip the aftermarket warranty.
Same here. As long as the body and cosmetics check out, the mechanicals are pretty reliable and relatively cheap to fix. This is not a Ferrari or Maserati that is $500 when a CEL comes on.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I had an '07 S and the only major thing I had done under warranty was shifter cables. Otherwise the car has been trouble-free mechanically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to find out today which part I got wrong. 220 or 240.

I'm going to be on the edge on which one to get if it is a 220. So I'm looking between a 2011 sc or the 200? Assuming a 2007 which one would everyone go for? This will be my daily driver however I work from home so I really don't drive that much. We're also planning on doing track days with the car.

Honestly I think I'm going to end up with the exige either way, just looking for what everyone thinks. I know posting in the exige forum and asking which one is going to be a little slated.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
the exige-s cars have more headroom to make power than the elise SC cars. THis is due to the larger blower and the intercooler. The 220 car can easily be boseted to 265+ hp while the sc will likely remain near its factory rating.

I think the exige is the better car and is probably cheaper. The elise has the advantage of better visibility and comes with a soft top.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Id say dont redline that motor...ever. These motors have the 'glass engine' reputation for a reason. Very dependable little motor if you keep your RPM's below 7500 (valve springs and valves are weak spots).

·
He's on fire!
3,088 Posts
We're also planning on doing track days with the car.
I love this. You're worried about reliability/cost of maintenance to the point you want to buy an extended warranty and you plan to do track days. rotfl

Please post VIN so the rest of us can avoid your car when you sell it!

Seriously, if you plan to put the car on track you're pretty easily going to spend more on maintenance compared to a "regular" car even if you do it all yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so its a 2008 240 not a 220. And yeah i can see where warrrenty + track sounds retarded but to clarify what i was talking about was taking it to a track and getting lessons on how to really drive a sports car. I've only had a RWD car for 3 years and i know no expert. I would say not even close really.

oh and i'll be sure to feed the resident min troll a VIN number!

I'll ask about the inspection and see where that puts me, but my guess is i'm getting today! super impulse powers activate!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
THings you will want to find out: Does it have LSD, trackpack, starshield, or touring packs

These are al nice options in my opinion and will effect the value. The 08 cars have some nice upgrades (brakes, instruments) over the 07s but are price a fair bit higher.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the above, iPod connector, adjustable ride height, limited slip, breaks that seem to only have on and off, useless review mirror and sun shades. It's really going to take some Time to get used to not being able to see behind at all.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I got some stick on blind spot mirrors for 5$ at autozone. Some might say these are a bit ghetto but they make the car much better to drive.

I ordered convex mirrors but they are impossible to get.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
If you adjust your mirrors correctly the standard side mirrors work fairly well. You want the passenger's side mirror out more than normal. You won't be able to see behind you with it, but you won't have a blind spot on that side. The position the driver's side so that you can just see a bit behind you, and between that and looking you'll have blind spot coverage. It isn't as bad as you'd think, but does take some active monitoring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm planning on mounting a convex mirror to the top of the wind shield so i can see directly behind over the top of the car. Its going to look a little strange but I think its going to work out well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts