The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Long time Porsche owner just picked up one of my bucket list cars - a Lotus Elise. Ever since this car was introduced here in the states I have wanted to drive and own one. I have been casually looking for a car but wanted specifically a BRG one or a silver one with a red interior - oh and wanted a supercharged one, preferably factory installed. When a BRG one with a red interior showed up and it was a 2010 SC to boot, I decided it was destiny and with 2 hours remaining on the auction site from when I laid first eyes on the listing, decided I would put my best offer in. Low and behold, I was the proud owner of my first Lotus. OMG what had I just done???

The car was located in Long Island NY and the seller was a great car guy who had taken immaculate care of the car (he had owned it for 10 years). After meeting him and seeing the car in person I knew I had made a very good call. I happened to be in NYC for business and decided to work out with the seller to collect the car and drive it home during a very warm spell here in the Northeast. Admittedly I was a little intimidated getting into this car for the very first time after a quick tutorial for a 4+ hour drive back including a ride in ferry from Long Island to New London, CT. The first leg through Long-Island's winery region was really enjoyable and I was quickly getting accustomed to how the car drove and shifted which was even better than I had imagined. As a former New Yorker, I know the state prides itself in the quality and quantity of its speeding tickets and as I was driving the car on the seller's license plate (only in the back as he installed the show british plate on the front which I'm sure is illegal in NY) as I hadn't registered it yet in my home state of NH I was unsure what other bonus tickets that would earn me in the Empire State. I was relieved when I finally reached the Oyster Point ferry terminal and my NY leg was done. Car definitely drew plenty of attention pulling up into the ferry loading area and loading on to the boat was a nerve-racking experience as monstrous SUVs surrounded me in my green go-cart on the ferry deck. Pulling off the ferry was uneventful after landing in the Thames river ferry terminal in New London. A few lights and turns and I was on my way for 2.5 hours of mostly highway miles straight through Connecticut, Massachusetts and finally into southern New Hampshire where this Lotus will live. As I was less concerned with triggering attention from the police outside of NY, I was still careful not to draw any more attention than a british racing green Lotus with bright yellow stripes draws with excessive speed. I kept the car at an indicated 70 mph when I reached the highway portion of my ride home. As it was just around lunch time, the traffic was light but I noted how fast people drive in CT. In fact I started to notice that I actually never passed a single car for about the first 20 mins and when the 3rd Kia Rio passed me like I was standing still I started questioning the indicated speed the speedometer was displaying. A quick pull up of Waze and sure enough I was doing 55 in a 65, not 70. Slowing down to 45, it was only off a few mph and at 40 it was pretty much spot on. After searching this forum after returning home, was clear I wasn't the first one to experience this. For what it is worth, I have two Porsches, and they both read exactly 3 mph faster than you are actually traveling which supports the theory this is built in to avoid EU fines for cars that read indicated speeds that are BELOW what they are actually traveling (a explanation I also found on this forum).

Got the car home and understood all the general wisdom on the comfort of the seats of these cars - definitely not a GT car but overall the car performed flawlessly and was far more solid and rattle-free than I expected. Gave the car multiple washes, salt-away treatments and some strategic coatings with ACF-50 before quietly putting it away for now-much anticipated spring driving weather (and some new tires).

Looking forward to getting to know my car, this brand and this community better. I have heard nothing but great things about fellow Lotus owners (verses Porsche owners that is....)

If you read this far, thanks for reading and thanks in advance for all the help I will ask for from this community's collective knowledge. IMG_1735.PNG IMG_1708(1).jpg IMG_1713(1).jpg IMG_1722(2).jpg

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
229 Posts
Glad to have you here and glad to see you made it home safely! Awesome pictures too.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,183 Posts
Beautiful car. Congrats on the purchase and my hat is off to you for the ol' fly-buy-and-drive. I bought mine in Dallas and drove it home to Chicago. Exhilarating...

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,950 Posts
As a former New Yorker, I know the state prides itself in the quality and quantity of its speeding tickets
LOL, that was a GREAT line.

On my last trip on the ferries out of New London, I had a NY State Trooper next to me on the boat. o_O

WELCOME to Lotus ownership!

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Fantastic! Welcome aboard (literally in your case)

I want our next Lotus to have essentially the same livery. The classic stuff.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Welcome! love the color

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Congrats! Amazing experience already just from your drive home. Now the brutal wait for the spring/summer months to come. (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts