The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Lotus up on my Atlas Scissors Lift lift this afternoon and performed my very first mod... installing a MWR Lift Point Kit

The lift works great for the Lotus. I drive up on my 2 x 10 ramps, remove the engine access panel, position the lifting arms under points B and C, and lift away.

I immediately ran into an issue with the car. It seems someone used the end of the frame rails as a jack point (maybe stands) and bent the aluminum rail.

The prudent approach seemed to be a careful straightening operation using a woodworking clamp (it fit perfectly).

This led to a second issue involving the MWR Lift Point components. The bracket and hose on the drivers side (2008 Exige) will not clear the lift kit.

This required cutting the aluminum plate to clear the bracket and hose.

Buy one of these Rockwell BladeRunner saws... You will not regret it!

The modified lower plate installed.

The passenger side components did not have to be modified but had the same type of damage to the frame rail. The lift point kit does a very nice job of "sandwiching" and reinforcing the frame rail.

A "long" shot with the new lifting points installed. First mod feels good!

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
That's the mod that started the sickness with me. Now I have it full blown!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
it is a sickness

mods I recommend are
make sure you have good clear bra for rockers and rear fender in front of wheel
Stans shifter mod
Clutch stop mod
inserts for engine mounts
if you track it
---------------
baffled oil pan
surge pump for gas tank

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lifted the Lotus this afternoon using the Lift Point Kit.

Its easy get the lifting arms of the Portable Scissors lift aligned under the lifting points. I used hockey pucks as spacers.

I took the opportunity to remove the diffuser and have a good look around the rear end of the car. I'm going to check the toe links tomorrow. I'm still a little confused about the differences between a "regular" car and one with the "track pack". Can you guys point me toward a discussion thread that shows the differences (I've found bits and pieces searching but still confused).

Finally a wide shot of my work space showing the lift and overhead jib crane. My wife's Miata is on the four post lift in the fourth stall. We built our new home four years ago and I've really only just started to make use of the space.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Your post has confirmed what I already knew. I need a new garage!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a Elise and have the exact same lift. Can you please contact me so I can pick your brain about lifting the car. Thanks

David
636 578-2925

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just bought a Elise and have the exact same lift. Can you please contact me so I can pick your brain about lifting the car. Thanks

David
636 578-2925
+1
I don't own this lift but now I'm curious about it. Are you able to remove/replace the access panel with the car on the lift? Do you have good access under the rear or front of the car, or does the lift get in the way?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A couple of thoughts related to the Atlas scissors lift...

The lift is just barely narrow enough to lift the Lotus. The images below show the lift engaging the front lift points under the car. You can see how I have "cheated" my hockey pucks towards the center on both sides and am still a little wider than I'd like to be (the lift works just fine on the rear of the car). I am planning to modify lifting arms allowing them to swing toward the center just a bit more but have not decided exactly how yet. In the mean time I have to position the lift exactly under the center of the car. I've been sliding the lift around using a 10lb sledge hammer but think a tool like the wheeled pry bar might be more appropriate and handy for other things as well. :)

The scissors lift provides great access under the front and rear of the car. I can lift the car with all the panels in place and easily remove them once the car is in the air. Obviously the "rails" of the lift block access to the area directly under the door sills (last image).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should also note that Greg Smith Equipment lists a set of accessory "Lift Support Bars" on their website that would be worth looking into. It looks like you could attach the support bars to the arms of the scissors lift and then have lifting pads that could slide back and forth a whole bunch.

The down side is that they cost $350 and your drive on ramps would need to be even higher.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MWR's lift point kit adds two lifting posts to the rear frame area of your 2005+ Lotus Elise, Exige or 2-eleven. This allows you to easily and safely lift the car with a 4-post lift for easy service without removing the belly pan or diffuser. Not for use with floor jacks- the stock lift points work ok for that. Easy install and the kit stays on the car, nothing to remove or store when the car is not in for service. CNC machined 6061 aluminum construction.
The kit is available from Monkey Wrench Racing...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts