The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought mine at MSRP. I talked with the manager Kurt for a while, he said there was a lot of price hikes at many of the dealers, but he was able to talk the owner out of that. Seems like a nice guy, invited me back to their show in the spring.
Gang,

Looks like a new lucky Elise owner picked up a car at MSRP in NJ, straight off the showroom floow, without being on a list. This is about six months since Chris picked up his car. Not sure if this is really the first instance (probably not), but is anyone surprised that cars are selling at MSRP to non-listers with so many listers (at least 1,500 by my estimate) still waiting for cars? Anybody willing to speculate where prices go now?

Chris

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sounds like the bubble has burst. Well on the east coast anyway. I KNOW there are a lot a CA's who will be miffed at this.
It will interesting in the long run as LCUSA snubs their nose at true enthusiasts that have waited over a year, in favour of walk-in enquiries from people who don't even know who Lotus is, on a derived basis of how many Esprits they ever sold.

Personally, I hope the prices go through the floor! I'll pick another one for around 25-30k ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think the pricing in the northeast is weather related. Lets face it I haven't even tried to look for other options because i wont be driving my elise in the winter. Last update from my dealer has me getting a car around march. If april comes around and I dont have a car yet I would be back in shopping mode. But why bother now with winter coming?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
adamant said:
in favour of walk-in enquiries from people who don't even know who Lotus is, on a derived basis of how many Esprits they ever sold.
It may sound dumb, and stupid, but that is how the world works, unfortunately. It isn't fair, I agree, but a dealer is a dealer, and they want cash, to whoever has it. Remember that guy (on a different board) that had his delivered car sold to "some local guy"?

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
ive lived in the southwest for 3 years, and i know those people didnt understand how the market works out east come winter...
they slow down in winter months too, but nothing like the midwest and out east....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought mine at Ascot from the showroom at MSRP without being on the list also.

·
Registered
670 Posts
plesset said:
I bought mine at Ascot from the showroom at MSRP without being on the list also.
You can thank me (sort of) I turned that car down at MSRP.
I didn't want the hardtop, my wife didn't want the BRG and we would have had to pay $1500 shipping. If either the color or options had been different I might own your car. Enjoy

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am surprised with the amount of cars The Collection in Miami has had from people that were on the list that decided not to take. I think it has been about 8 cars in the last 3 months.

It was good for me because I was able to pick mine up 4 months ahead of schedule.:D :D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe Ferrari of Denver had to call over 30 people on their list to get 10 orders about a month ago. I think lots of people got on the list who aren't certain that it's right for them.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gang,

Here's another one. According to another post by Surferjer, there is a silver Elise at Rothrock available for MSRP. Drove by tonight - haven't seen it in silver before and it is quite pretty. Not my favorite, but looks good.

We seem to have a bit of a new trend here with cars at MSRP. (At least in the northeast.)

Chris

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't buy the idea that a 'seasonal variance' can explain the drop, at least not entirely. As I see it, the 'lists' are composed of enthusiasts and speculators, so they don't really say much about the general interest in the car. Lotus' brand recognition here is limited, and Lotus has done little marketing, so the Elise remains a niche car. As the enthusiasts are sated, there are few other buyers. Demand is low, supply is increasing -- price drops. I hope that changes, but I think it's unlikely.

FWIW, I am happy to wait for the car I want at MSRP, ordered to my specs. I plan on keeping the car a long time, and I will get my money out of it in driving pleasure. I think that current conditions suggest that $ depreciation will be rather severe, though. Pay to play.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>I don't buy the idea that a 'seasonal variance' can explain the drop, at least not entirely.<<<

Example Of Convertible Depreciation

The link above mentions post-August depreciation for convertibles being quite high..

I was able to locate an early off-list car to purchase. My plan was to try and procure one, but if it took until October I would simply wait until next Spring. Instead of forking out the cash and having a car sit until the area thawed out again while paying for insurance and so forth. A common POV. We'll have to see how things go in the Warmer areas. New convertibles tend to come out in the 1st/2nd quarter so that the market can accept them. Chevrolet is doing that for the new Vette Convertible.

Stan

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. I think the drop is coming from both the usual seasonal convertible slump, along with the niche status of the car, combined with the fairly significant flow of cars now hitting the market. My guess is that pricing will be very much a regional thing over the next few months, with northeast cars sliding to (or maybe even slightly below??) MSRP, and prices remaining steady (with some small premium) in the warmer regions.

Just a guess of course.

Chris

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
The bubble has burst? There's a significant flow of cars? Excuse me? My dealership has 169 deposits. I believe less than 10 cars have actually been delivered, with maybe another 10 stuck somewhere in the UK-to-dealership transport pipeline.

If interest in the car has dimmed in cold climates, and isn't expected to increase again untill the thaw, then redirect the damn cars to sunny California.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
If the price goes up again, there will have another refused order.... and i will take my money elsewhere, i was supposed to have this car 6 months earlier

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's a significant flow of cars? Excuse me? My dealership has 169 deposits. I believe less than 10 cars have actually been delivered, with maybe another 10 stuck somewhere in the UK-to-dealership transport pipeline.
Jon,

Lots of us frustrated for sure. I have a deposit at a dealer with another 18 months or so ahead of me. They have delivered 9 so far (and this is an East Coast dealer), while others around the country have delivered 35-40 (LOA, Fox Valley, etc.)

The reality is that there are a dozen or more cars one could buy today around the country with a small premium, and a handful that one could get for MSRP. There are now probably 500+ cars in the country. There are approximately 2,000 waitlisters. Most of us don't want to pay above MSRP. Or, we simply want the color/option combo that we want. My car will be a little unusual - but it's the way I want it. Would I pay a premium to get it sooner - yes. Do I want to - no.

So while some of us are subjected to low allocation dealers, there are lots of cars floating around. E-bay at one point had like 17 of them for sale.

The market is the market. Oh well. I feel your pain.

Chris

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
hwy, that would be a good tag

I XI R

how many citizens would read it as one eleven R? too bad I already have my 111R on the way

1 - 20 of 34 Posts