The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting... "Hydraulically assisted power steering will be employed with a TRW steering rack."

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
IMO this will be one of the most important cars for Lotus - here is why,

it is Lotus's first use of their own VVA

it is (yet again) their attempt to break into a braoder base (mainstream) market- will it work this time? ...better get your wayward dealers under control!

in order to compete they have to compel buyers that would be cross shopping - hence your gonna need things like power assist to "smooth out" the raod feel that would turn them away - can Lotus get that right as porsche is doing it pretty darn well right now.

you can't expect lotus to beat -say porsche - in all catagories, but if they give up point in a few areas, and gain ground in some others, it could deffintaly work in the market. Price/Performance/Prestige ...its a tough compromise that porsche excells at providing, and hence why they are so successfull having gotten that balance just right.

Best wishes to Lotus - i hope it can be a stunning success that will lay the groundwork for them to raise their game! ..and tee-up the new esprit and new elise.

·
Registered
317 Posts
in order to compete they have to compel buyers that would be cross shopping - hence your gonna need things like power assist to "smooth out" the raod feel that would turn them away - can Lotus get that right as porsche is doing it pretty darn well right now.

There's a delicate balance between dulling the the car enough to appeal to the mass market and keeping it edgy enough to appeal to traditional Lotus enthusiats. Like many here, my Elise wasn't my first Lotus. Like you said, Porsche has done a good job with this. The C6 Corvette is another good example. Contrast the Z06/ZR1 to the Dodge Viper and you see which company has figured out the balance. Start with something a little dull and mainstream and offer higher performance and sharper versions. This is sort of what Lotus has done with the Elise/ Exige/ Exige S/ 240... but the baseline car was already so radical that it simply doesn't appeal to most Boxster/ Z4/ Corvette consumers.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Lotus needs to follow the Porsche 911 model: offer a stripped base model for the purist/entry level buyer, offer a more luxurious model for the GT crowd, offer a convertible for cruising, offer a higher performance version for the track folks, but base it all off the same chassis and mechanicals to save development costs. Just look at how many 911 variants there are, one for every niche in the sports car market.

Carrera
Carrera Cabriolet
Carrera S
Carrera S Cabriolet
Carrera 4
Carrera 4 Carbiolet
Carrera 4S
Carrera 4S Cabriolet
911 Targa
911 Turbo
911 Turbo Cabriolet
911 GT3
911 GT3 RS
911 GT2
(did I miss any?)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Lotus needs to follow the Porsche 911 model: offer a stripped base model for the purist/entry level buyer, offer a more luxurious model for the GT crowd, offer a convertible for cruising, offer a higher performance version for the track folks, but base it all off the same chassis and mechanicals to save development costs. Just look at how many 911 variants there are, one for every niche in the sports car market.

Carrera
Carrera Cabriolet
Carrera S
Carrera S Cabriolet
Carrera 4
Carrera 4 Carbiolet
Carrera 4S
Carrera 4S Cabriolet
911 Targa
911 Turbo
911 Turbo Cabriolet
911 GT3
911 GT3 RS
911 GT2
(did I miss any?)
GT3 Cup
GT3 Cup S
GT3 RSR

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I saw a car just like this one yesterday... and it was pulling a trailer :eek:

I went out for a drive yesterday afternoon and saw a car dressed in camo just about like this one. Several car manufacturers have facilities near Phoenix and you can occasionally see test vehicles out for runs.

The funniest I saw was about a year before VW released the new beetle. The only camoflage they used was a bit of gaffer tape over the VW emblem.

I used to work with a guy who's brother worked at the GM proving grounds. He was in the drive-train division. Often, they would disguise future models by putting a body from a current or older model on the chasis they were testing.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Carrera
Carrera Cabriolet
Carrera S
Carrera S Cabriolet
Carrera 4
Carrera 4 Carbiolet
Carrera 4S
Carrera 4S Cabriolet
911 Targa
911 Turbo
911 Turbo Cabriolet
911 GT3
911 GT3 RS
911 GT2
(did I miss any?)
elise
elise sc
elise california
elise 72d
exige
exige club racer
exige sprint
exige s
exige s 240
exige cup
2eleven

kinna similar recipe NO?

did I miss any?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the angles are fake - there is more shape camo than eagle body work under the canvas....

"oh that? you wouldn't be interested in it..."

"does it come in black?"

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i am getting kinda excited about the eagle - i hope they come out with one in "shooting brake" trim :) oh... to put my bike in the back of a lotus....

can i get an old eclat with fold down rear seats :)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Stealth technology perhaps? Helping speeders fight radar (Do you remember when RADAR was always capitalized?) and LIDAR.

Maybe they should offer the flat black and gloss white cross hatch scheme as a life style trim option.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
i'm hoping the eagle will be a 400HP 6CYL monster that drives just like the elise yet is slighter larger for us bigger folks with a reasonable path to strip it to the bones for the track.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts