The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys! I've always been a huge lotus fan but never had the $$ to own one. Well... I finally managed to scrap together enough money to get one and now i can't decide whether or not I should.

You see... for the past 3-4 years of my life, I've been into motorcycles. I lived, breathed, and shat motorcycles. But something happened to a fellow bike owner the other day and that sort of "woke me up". Got me thinking... Man... how much longer before something like THAT happens to ME... you know?

I'm only 22 years old and still have a (i hope) long and exciting life ahead of me.... so I've been thinking about leaving the motorcycle world and moving onto cars. I hang out with a lot of guys that are really into cars and they all said that if I were to get into cars... it'd have to be a lotus.

While the lotus isn't the safest car to own... any half ass dimwit can tell you it'd crash better than a bike does. But anyways... I was wondering how many of you guys have made this transition from bike to car? And how do you like it?

I'm afraid of missing the thrill I get when I'm on my bike but after seeing what happened to a fellow biker, I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't stay interested in bikes too long....

sorry for the LONGGGG first post!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I am fond of calling my elise the safest motorcycle on the road

·
Registered
67 Posts
As a re-entry motorcyclist 4 years ago, after a very long hiatus, I can speak to this. Driving a Lotus is vastly different than riding a motorcycle. It's small and nimble and encourages enthusiastic use, but that's where the similarity ends. As a replacement thrill for a bike, with more versatility and a modicum more safety, it makes great sense. I'm riding my bikes a lot less now.

If you are of the 'wife beater/ wheelie/ 100 mph lane-split/ outrun the fuzz' school of biking, the Lotus will get you killed too. If you are looking for a spirited driver and something to use as a track weapon, driving skill improvement tool, you can't make a better choice, and you'll survive nicely with out a sport bike. Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a re-entry motorcyclist 4 years ago, after a very long hiatus, I can speak to this. Driving a Lotus is vastly different than riding a motorcycle. It's small and nimble and encourages enthusiastic use, but that's where the similarity ends. As a replacement thrill for a bike, with more versatility and a modicum more safety, it makes great sense. I'm riding my bikes a lot less now.

If you are of the 'wife beater/ wheelie/ 100 mph lane-split/ outrun the fuzz' school of biking, the Lotus will get you killed too. If you are looking for a spirited driver and something to use as a track weapon, driving skill improvement tool, you can't make a better choice, and you'll survive nicely with out a sport bike. Good luck, and welcome!

Thank you so much for the response. I viewed similar threads on other motorcycle forums and the responses there are almost opposite.

People on motorcycle forums seem to COME BACK to the motorcycle sport after leaving to cars because they miss the thrill of owning a bike.

I was hoping that in purchasing a lotus, I will be able to reach a compromise between fun and safety and after hearing your response, it seems like it's actually possible. Now all i have to do is find the right car to buy and I'll be set :)

Thanks alot guys and remember to drive/ride safe!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
^ saw a picture of your bike and its HOT!!! :drool:

the1sen will chime in awhile to tell you about how great the car is (he had a bike and i believe was in a life threatening accident....so he decided to get the lotus and he is very happy).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts