The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks. I didn't realize I had been registered here for a number of years without posting until I put up some LOG32 newbie questions today:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f244/drivers-education-session-questions-relative-newbie-117602/

Anyway by way of introduction...

I bought a '69 Lotus Elan Plus 2 about five years ago. This is my first Lotus, but I had been interested in the marque since the sixties and knew the Vancouver dealer quite well. Unfortunately finances were not sufficient to get an Elan or Lotus Cortina, so I opted for an MG Midget owned by the head mechanic at Checkered Flag when they were down by the present location of the CBC building.

Immediately I drove the Plus 2 from Ontario to Alberta, which was an interesting adventure. Other than some initial sorting problems with the charging system, the starter motor giving up the ghost in Saskatchewan in a May snow storm, and the exhaust manifold bolts falling off things went quite well. The tach and speedo were wildly out of whack so in the interests of keeping the revs down we were passed by every Greyhound plying the Trans Canada. :)

Upon arrival in Calgary, I attempted to pass an Out of Provence inspection. The verdict was there was there considerable frame corrosion. Rather than 'sneak it through', I walked through the looking glass and proceeded with a full frame off restoration in the garage. As I am more a parts switcher than a mechanic, I opted to get the body and engine re-build done professionally. I got a giant steel box of 'stuff' shipped from Spyder in GB, including a new space frame, suspension components, Ford five speed conversion, trim bits, etc. I built up the frame and running gear in the garage while the body was stripped, repaired, and painted here:

1971 Lotus Haler Concepts Ltd.

The body was married to the new frame three years ago. Took an additional year to finish things up and sort the car. During the resto process I got lots of help and encouragement on the lotuselan.net list.

Last summer was the first time I could use the car. I ran it down to the VanDusen All British Field Meet in Vancouver, and then to LOG31 in Las Vegas. Both trips were loads of fun, and I particularly enjoyed my first LOG. First time I saw the Elise doing Autocross, which was very tempting.

Went to the ABFM again this year in May. Lotus was featured marque this year, and the field was excellent, with three other Plus 2's and a really great LoCort from Washington taking the Featured Marque award, and John McCoy's LoCort taking Best Race Car. The BC and Evergreen clubs organized a lovely dinner which was great.

I have just completed the 'list' from the trip, and can truly call the car sorted now. Just getting registered for LOG32 in Orlando. Still undecided if I can drive that distance or should make arrangements to tow the car down and back. LOG31 involved snow on the return trip, and LOG32 is pretty late in the year in the Great White North.

Look forward to meeting more Lotus enthusiasts in Orlando. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Quite the adventure thus far. Real devotion. Welcome aboard from one Canucker to another. I'm about 8hrs north of you in northern AB. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Do you know Buglugs and Sherlock77?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts