The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the posts for a couple months now - great information. I've been talking to my wife about purchasing an Elise for about a month, so I'm only about a year away from convincing her it's a great idea to purchase one. I know I want an '05 in titanium or gray.

There are a couple of things still to work out (in addition to convincing my wife). I live in Hanover, NH which is about 2.5 hours north west of Boston, right on the NH/VT border, and I don't know where I would get service. Also, I have a two car garage that is loaded with my kids' bikes -- scratch! Lastly, I live off a 1 mile dirt road, though it's maintained throughly.

My biggest unknown (and concern) is how to know that a used '05 has not been flogged on the track. I've read about ecu dumps, which I'd want to get for any car, but other than that, I'm unsure how to tell if a car is pre-flogged.

I'll keep reading and learning.

Best,
Mike Shipulski

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
First off WELCOME to the clan. This is surely the most informatiove site you'll find and most of the people and most of the people are caring and helpful to a fault sometimes LOL.

You sure have some substantial obstacles to hurdle to get an Elise - wife being the biggie LOL. The dirt road could be huge if in the future it gets ruts - the Elise has about 5" of ground clearance but the front clam could take a real beating even if the underside makes it clear. Have a brother in Townshend, VT - a beautiful part of the world around there. I'm 1-1/2 hours from a dealer, have an early '05 and have learned to do all of the regular maintenance items myself - brake pads & rotors, change oil, tranny fluid, remove snorkel, air filter and changed plugs so far. I'm 61, never touched a car in my life but with some relatively cheap tools like ramps, good jack, stands and some minor metric hand tools you're in business. I only used the dealer for warranty repairs (NONE:coolnana:) and it's off warranty now - 33,0000 miles and on March 25 she turned 3 years old (Happy Birthday). The dealer did the first inspection and ECU dump but that's it. I'm not a track guy but drive it like I stole it :shift: every day except in snow and ice, on my 4th set of tires and believe this drive train will get me 200,000+ miles with good maintenance driving like I do. Good luck in your pursuit of the Lotus dream.:clap:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome to the club! I live in Goffstown. I wouldn't worry too much about a car with occasional track use in its history...that's what they're built for. If it doesn't have evidence of harness mounting points being drilled, it probably wasn't a major track player.

For servicing, the routine stuff is pretty easy to DIY. The engine and tranny can be serviced by Toyota. If anything truly needs a lotus dealership, you'll be looking at a drive. Do you have a trailer? If you already have a tow vehicle, $1500 for a used trailer is cheap insurance.

Tom

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome aboard. I come up to Portsmouth every few months to see some service buddies.

Just keep an eye on the exact mods that have been done to the cars you look at. Thats not a definite way to check but can sometimes help. Like if it has harness belts on an 05 with the Isaac. Try to get a late 05 as well, they had a few improvements.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Welcome... you can't flog an Elise on the track, the Elise is made for a track!

My only concern is your dirt road, this car chips easy, so look for starshield and rear stone guards, and you should be set!!

good luck with your search!

:shift:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Welcome to the gang.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Welcome aboard. You got some awesome roads up there in the upper valley. Now you just the car for it. Good luck with the wife.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Oh man you have some GREAT GREAT roads near you ( I used to spend a lot of time in Claremont and Ascutney [my hang gliding days ] )
Have someone take your wife for a ride ( or better yet have HER drive )... she'll be hooked right away and it'll be easy after that.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome :wave: if the dirt roads in NH are still as I remember them, then you wont have any problems.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
-Get a thick car cover for inside the garage.
-A car with <10K miles and a few track days isn't likely to be too flogged. Definitely get an ECU dump, ask the seller indirect questions like, "how many times have you had to change the tires, brakes, etc." and always get a pre-purchase inspection by an independent party.
-Check the Lotus website for dealers in your area, and maybe call one of them for a recommended nearby garage. Like others have said, these cars are easy when it comes to general maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Improvements made to late model '05s

Welcome aboard. Try to get a late 05 as well, they had a few improvements.
Thanks for the note.

Can you point me to the improvements made to the late 05s? How do you find out if the car had the improvements? Maybe you can use the date of manufacture?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear stone gaurds

Welcome... you can't flog an Elise on the track, the Elise is made for a track!

My only concern is your dirt road, this car chips easy, so look for starshield and rear stone guards, and you should be set!!

good luck with your search!

:shift:
Thanks for the advice. I'm a little concerned about the dirt road, but I'm going to purchase a car and make the best of it:coolnana:. I read most of the threads on starshield. Can you point me to some information on rear stone gaurds?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife suggested a third bay for our garage.

Oh man you have some GREAT GREAT roads near you ( I used to spend a lot of time in Claremont and Ascutney [my hang gliding days ] )
Have someone take your wife for a ride ( or better yet have HER drive )... she'll be hooked right away and it'll be easy after that.
Great advice. I'm sure she'll be hooked if she drives.

Good news last night. We're in the process of designing an house addition to put our bedroom over our our two car garage. My wife suggested that we consider adding a third bay to store a Lotus!:nanner: She must really love me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts