The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing to do with Lotus, but I wanted to share this image with you.
I just bought a NEW 5" Refractor telescope. I want to share the FIRST IMAGE in this 'scope. It's the first quarter moon. It contains great detail. I'm THRILLED with it! Maybe you can use it as your screen saver?

It's an Orion EON 120mm (diameter) f/7.5 taken with a Canon Rebel Digital DSLR. Focal length is 900mm (If you really need the technical details)

I hope you enjoy it! --Hal

Attachments

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
my new desktop pic !! :up:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Nothing to do with Lotus, but I wanted to share this image with you.
I just bought a NEW 5" Refractor telescope. I want to share the FIRST IMAGE in this 'scope. It's the first quarter moon. It contains great detail. I'm THRILLED with it! Maybe you can use it as your screen saver?

It's an Orion EON 120mm (diameter) f/7.5 taken with a Canon Rebel Digital DSLR. Focal length is 900mm (If you really need the technical details)

I hope you enjoy it! --Hal
When I was in grad school, I discovered an 8" Alvin Clarke refractor hanging from the ceiling in the basement of the Physics building... what a waste. I was very tempted to "rescue" it :no:

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
Holy Crap!!! ... Hal, that's amazing!! :bow:

- z

·
Registered
311 Posts
Great shot.

So a question, can you take pictures of the space station or shuttle as it goes by, or does it go to fast that you can't track it? Would your telescope not let you zoom in on something "so close"?

Looking forward to other shots.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ok that last one i want to hear the tech details. great lunar shot and great star shot. is it a composite?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i was surprised to learn that there is a small grove of bristlecones on Mt Evans outside denver. but they are only about 1700 years old vs the ones in the White Mountains

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the star shot and Lotus was a composite with PhotoShop. The star shot was a 15 minute tracked image (a 50mm f/1.7 lens, old Minolta SRT-101 35mm film shot from Mt Pinos near Frazier Park, CA, 8800 ft altitude, in the early 1980's!) and a newer shot of my Elise in twilight.

That photo of the bristecone is beautiful!

--Hal

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
thanks, Hal. if you look closely you can see the rockies footills and beyond that the great plains. it is a high dynamice range image put together with photomatix pro.

Hal, by any chance have you lived in west palm beach and also in las cruces NM?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Great shot.

So a question, can you take pictures of the space station or shuttle as it goes by, or does it go to fast that you can't track it? Would your telescope not let you zoom in on something "so close"?

Looking forward to other shots.
This has been done. I saw a photo recently (I can probably find it again). I believe it was a photo of the STS docked with Mir.

I would guess that Hal's moon shot was faster than 1/60 sec. Since the Moon is in full sunlight, the old standard (for those who learned photography a in the "old days") is to shoot at 1/100 sec, f/11, for ISO 100 in full sunlight.

So, Hal, what was your exposure time? 1/500 sec ?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MOON BUGGY!

You're Close Steve! First Quarter Moon was 1/200 sec., ASA 200
The full moon was1/500 sec, ASA 100

No, I never lived in Las Cruces, but I would love to visit! Stellar views!

--Hal

Attachments

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
i learned the sunny 16 rule. one of these days one can apply it... to the moon, alice!

Q

·
0 Posts
Jupiter is shinining brightly in the Southeastern sky... Scorpio and the Big Dipper are shining brightly.

Lately I've been laying on the pool deck at night and staring at the stars for 20-30 minutes or so.

I've caught a few satellites too. Kinda fun. I was able to tell which ones by logging on here.

LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE AND SPACE SHUTTLE TRACKING

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm...yeah
Back on track...

Which of the two (Full Moon/Elise or Star background/Elise) do you prefer?
Honestly.

No, I don't have an image of Uranus and I don't do Toupe's.

--Hal

1 - 20 of 29 Posts