The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share with my fellow elise fans what my girl friends first reactions of the elise were. We drove to houston (4 hours both ways) to see the blue elise from the LA auto show.

The very first thing that came from her mouth even before we got out of my STi was, "ahh, its not so much like a match box car in person".... That was reassuring but still somewhat a negative comment. Her second comment after climing in and out of the car was, "you realize we cant have sex in this car right"....

I thought long and hard about both these comments as they were just as important to me as the car itself. The matchbox comment I chalked up to be a concern on her part for my saftey, the second comment I think was a ploy to stop me from drooling all over the car!

So what was your wife's, or husbands comments about the car the first time you talked about it, or saw it?

Adam P

·
Registered
963 Posts
My wife thinks the Elise is ugly. :(

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tidalwdave said:
My wife thinks the Elise is ugly. :(
Its ok, I have owned some of the most "ugly cars" according to the women in my life at the time of ownership. I had an orange e30 m3, and a penis on wheels called an Mcoupe!

I loved them all!

Adam P

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Who cares what the wife or girlfriend thinks. It's easier to get a new wife or new girlfriend that likes the car than getting the car itself. :D

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Girlfriend has not commented on the looks, but she has expressed concern about the open top (and what it will do to her hair); ingress/egress; and seating comfort (when I told her that her seat wouldn't move, and that the two seats are as close toegther as airline seats, she wasn't happy).

However, she *did* agree to give me her one and only garage spot when I come over, so if that's my only victor, I'll gladly take it!

As for my guy friends, they all love the body design. To a person, not a single one believes it's a $40K car.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My wife said the Elise looked "cute". Since cuteness is an important criteria for her, the implication was that I was allowed to buy it :cool:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Adam P said:
I wanted to share with my fellow elise fans what my girl friends first reactions of the elise were. We drove to houston (4 hours both ways) to see the blue elise from the LA auto show.

The very first thing that came from her mouth even before we got out of my STi was, "ahh, its not so much like a match box car in person".... That was reassuring but still somewhat a negative comment. Her second comment after climing in and out of the car was, "you realize we cant have sex in this car right"....

I thought long and hard about both these comments as they were just as important to me as the car itself. The matchbox comment I chalked up to be a concern on her part for my saftey, the second comment I think was a ploy to stop me from drooling all over the car!

So what was your wife's, or husbands comments about the car the first time you talked about it, or saw it?

Adam P
Sounds like she wants you to get a conversion van:D
Anyway I would take whatever your girl tell you with a grain of salt. Often they'll discourge you from doing or getting anythying that might attract other females to you.

Has she started to cook really big pasta filled dinners for you yet?:)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
the GF

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm in the 30's at Star and took my fiancee' over to check out the blue Elise when it was in town. It had been a year since I drove the black one he had in town for last year's auto show.

She loved it. Was easy for her to get in and out and her only request was that I get a color that she looks great in!!! She understands the concept of the Elise and said that it's ok to have one grown-up car and one fun car. So, I'll need to teach her how to drive a stick so she can use my Passat while I use the Elise as my daily driver.

Wally and Andy told me that I had a keeper.

She's excited about the Elise...not as excited as me, but excited non-the-less.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,642 Posts
My wife hasn't seen one in person yet. I wonder what she'll say the first time she tries to climb in.:eek:

·
Registered
249 Posts
"Baby Batmobile" from the wife.

Yet, she agreed to it!!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
My wife likes the Elise, but she hasn't always liked my cars. She practically refused to ride in the X1/9 I had when we started dating (no A/C, sport suspension, DOT slicks and race seats.) She doesn't particularly like any of my current cars:
* F150 Lightning - "You don't have to break the tires loose when you pass slower drivers"
* Spec RX7 - "It is really hot and throws you around too much"
* Mustang 5.0 - "That is the most obnoxious car I've ever heard."

On the other hand she liked the Esprit, Alfa Spyder and (soon) the Elise. I have to say, she has a point!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts

Mustang 5.0 - "That is the most obnoxious car I've ever heard."

ha, she wouldnt like the monster miata then, I have full straight pipe exhaust. :eek:

I discovered the Lotus Elise, my husband half paid attention to it. He thought I was Mad when I put a deposit down. Now he's getting one too. :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
My wife loves the Elise and thinks it is positively loaded with luxuries compared to my Seven. Radio, A/C, a top, hell it even comes fully built, yep my wife thinks I am moving up market with the Elise. Anyone who writes about an Elise being "basic" has never owned a Seven.
Oh, my wife overroad my color choice she claims she will be driving the car more than me.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had talked about getting the Elise and showed he some pictures. We went to England to visit her family, and made an appointment to see the Elise at Gordon Lamb. I went for a ride, she sat in it. It was great! She liked it.

When we came back she went to the Jaguar dealer (also the Lotus dealer) to look at a used XK8 and to ask them about the Lotus. When she came back she told me she had put down a deposit on one for me. That's a great wife! I would have waited before placing a deposit, because of her I am in the first batch!

So I think my wife's first reaction was pretty good.

Greg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Adam P,

Tell her you can have sex it. Passenger seat - roof off. No big problem - but not ideal!

I can send you pictures if you like!

ACP

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ACP said:
Adam P,

Tell her you can have sex it. Passenger seat - roof off. No big problem - but not ideal!

I can send you pictures if you like!

ACP
Please send me those, please, please, Thanks..

Adam P

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My wife loves the way the Elise looks and has authorized purchase. I've explained the entry/exit issue and she's ok with it, but I imagine that the reality still will be a shock. We've done plenty of trips in the Miata, so I don't think the size of the car will be a shock or problem.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts