The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm scheduled for my road test in NYC upcoming Thursday.
The road instructor will be in for a nice surprise: I'll use my Lotus Elise to take the test!
Anybody here did their road test in a Elise? Or do I have the honor (if I pass the test) of a nationwide premiere...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Road test? Are you 16 getting your drivers license? What the fark is a "Road Test?"

You better hope your instructor isn't a 300lb DMV employee who won't fit in your car.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I think that is a brave move - the instructor is likely to be predjudiced against you from the start. I would suggest a more basic and modest car for the test.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think that is a brave move - the instructor is likely to be predjudiced against you from the start. I would suggest a more basic and modest car for the test.
+1000
how loud is your car with your mods?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I wish I was still 18....I have a Dutch drivers license for 12-13 years now, but need to get a NYC one also.:shrug:
My only fear indeed is a 'big' employee, but the average NY-er carries less weight around than the average American, so I guess I'm ok.
Re prejudice: either the instructor will love it or hate the Elise I guess.
If he/she hates, and I don't pass...whatever...I'll try again...it's doesn't have top priority...just one of these regulations you need to comply with....

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1000
how loud is your car with your mods?
Only loud when WOT or high in the revs.
But I'll be nice as a newborn kitten. No 30+ mph for me.
THE LAW IS THE LAW:)

Actually I'm don't speed often, I get passed much more than I pass myself.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
+1

I took my NYC road test in a battleship gray 1969 Rambler station wagon with "three on the tree". Almost guaranteed a passing grade.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I say go for it. I also hear that if you can drift the car into the parallel parking spot that you score bonus points.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm scheduled for my road test in NYC upcoming Thursday.
The road instructor will be in for a nice surprise: I'll use my Lotus Elise to take the test!
Anybody here did their road test in a Elise? Or do I have the honor (if I pass the test) of a nationwide premiere...
How did you make out today?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I remember when I failed my moped test about 20 years ago because I didn't put both feet down when i came to a stop, those dmv people can be real bastards. He didn't know anything because i drove my moped 20 miles to the test.rotfl

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
In addition to what has already been said, imagine him making you park the car parallel to a high curb then he opens his door and scraps the bottom of your door against the curb. You will not feel too good will you?

I think there's enough things to worry about, a different car for this task would be a good move.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Advice:

* Bring a small clipboard in case the regular clipboard won't fit in your car. He'll appreciate the gesture.
* If he/she is fat or old, don't even bother trying.

Otherwise, it's a great car for a road test. You can parallel park head first. You will have wonderful control and be able to focus on your craft rather than wrestling a larger more intimidating vehicle.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I bet the instructor will be freaked out for most of the time never having been in a car where you are eye level with most peoples license plates ! Could work to an advantage, plus their visibility will be more limited if the top is on

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's actually really hard to do with an Elise... The bottom of the door is so high, and it curves up.

j

In addition to what has already been said, imagine him making you park the car parallel to a high curb then he opens his door and scraps the bottom of your door against the curb. You will not feel too good will you?

I think there's enough things to worry about, a different car for this task would be a good move.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The test sort of didn't go....
After my usual lack of preparing myself for things that don't worry me, I went to Brooklyn Red Hook for my test only knowing the street where the road test was (I know I know not very smart). After a much delayed trip to Brooklyn, that street turned out to be very very very long and therefore I was five minutes late at the spot where the instructor was supposed to be. Nobody there, I'm not even 100% sure if I was at the right spot, it was just a small square in a residential area.
Anyway very pissed off at myself I wasted 4-5 hours traveling parking garage-picking up my wife-Brooklyn road test (yeah right!)-traffic jam-traffic jam-bringing my wife back to her work again-parking garage-my own office.
My own stupid fault, I was just too lazy to drive to Red Hook to check the neighborhood beforehand. Now I have to wait again until April 28 and I believe that's the first day of my 3week period in Rochester, NY so I might need to postpone it even further.
Even typing this down makes me irritated again, a combination of bad luck and stupidity.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Can you take the test in Rochester??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts