The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called my local dealers for the first service and prices range in the Bay Area of CA from $850 - $1100.

I never signed anything stating I was aware I had to bring my vehicle to lotus for maintenance. I know a data dump is part of that Service but am I required (for warranty) to bring my vehicle to lotus for this service? I would much rather pay the guys at Trackspec in Fremont to change my oil / first service inspection.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT, Metallic Racing Green
298 Posts
Those prices are ridiculous. My first service through dealer at Galpin was more like 300$, though I have no idea if they did any sort of ECU data dump, never got any report of it at least.

There are other threads on this issue- I think the consensus was it's a tough pill to swallow, but God forbid something tanks in your powertrain during warranty period and Lotus declines coverage without a documented service history.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Just called my local dealers for the first service and prices range in the Bay Area of CA from $850 - $1100.

I never signed anything stating I was aware I had to bring my vehicle to lotus for maintenance. I know a data dump is part of that Service but am I required (for warranty) to bring my vehicle to lotus for this service? I would much rather pay the guys at Trackspec in Fremont to change my oil / first service inspection.

View attachment 1295773
Don't know specifics of the Evora, but for the Elise and Exige the first service had to be done at the dealer to keep the warranty wholly intact. They wanted to download the ECU to ensure the car was driven per break in period specs. I suppose the warranty could be voided on all/part of the drivetrain, especially the engine, if the dump showed it wasn't broken it per the manual. Even that would probably require some fine print in some part of the purchase documentation you overlooked or they put a thumb over while you were signing the papers.

Reactions: ace10 and James_M

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
I believe the first service is required at a Lotus dealership so they can perform the ECU dump and forward that back to the mother ship.

They use the dump to determine proper or improper engine break in. (I got a copy of my dump when I had my first service). This information should be contained under the warranty section of the owner's manual or the separate warranty booklet that may accompany it. I paid no where near those prices (I think mine was around $300 too and no cost for the dump as I didn't request it, they did) but mine was many years ago now.

As mentioned, there are other threads regarding this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I know there are other threads but none address the legality approving / denying warranty coverage based on where the service is performed.

·
Administrator
8,301 Posts
I think with Lotus quick to deny warranty it would be a CYA move to have first service at Lotus and subsequent services at an indie you're comfortable with. Do call other dealers they're not all priced the same but then again nothing is cheap in your area.

Reactions: JMack77

·
Registered
78 Posts

I posted in that thread. Long story short I took my car to Boardwalk because they seemed more experienced even if it was more expensive.

Also yes per my understanding the first service is mandatory to keep the warranty. Tom let me know when I bought the car.

And - good color. I also have a pewter grey car. Non carbon pack, with red calipers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Long story short I took my car to Boardwalk because they seemed more experienced even if it was more expensive.

Also yes per my understanding the first service is mandatory to keep the warranty. Tom let me know when I bought the car.
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing you around the Bay Area. Are you on any local Facebook groups?

Tom is a very nice guy.

I only know from that thread and a few others about the Lotus First Service. It was never a discussion during the sales process of picking up the car.

·
Registered
'21 Evora GT
24 Posts
Another pewter gray with yellow accents!

I just got my first service done at a dealership for $350 or so after tax. I had learned about it beforehand from the forums but no one really told me when I was buying the car.

I should see if I can get a copy of the ecu dump though...

·
Registered
75 Posts
If Lotus requires an ECU dump for warranty coverage that should be at the expense of Lotus and not the buyer. Either way, Lotus would still hook your car up and do a data dump if you didn't do it the first time for any warranty claims. Anyone got any official document stating if this was factual?

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
If Lotus requires an ECU dump for warranty coverage that should be at the expense of Lotus and not the buyer. Either way, Lotus would still hook your car up and do a data dump if you didn't do it the first time for any warranty claims. Anyone got any official document stating if this was factual?
I HAD said documentation when I had my two new Elises and the one new Exige. It conveyed when the cars were sold.

Lotus is simply saying if you want your new car warranty to remain wholly intact, bring it back to us for its break in service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I HAD said documentation when I had my two new Elises and the one new Exige. It conveyed when the cars were sold.

Lotus is simply saying if you want your new car warranty to remain wholly intact, bring it back to us for its break in service.
TOS changes all the time.. Not sure if having said document regarding an Elise or Exige would be relevant info to the Evora. It's good to know you HAD said documentation for an Exige/Elise. Very good indeed.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
From Evora 400 workshop manual (I would assume it is also somehwere for the GT just like it was for the S1s):

"After Sales Service
To be performed by the selling dealer within 1,000 - 1,500 miles (1,500 - 2,500 km) or 12 months of vehicle sale, whichever first occurs. Dependant upon the market, if carried out by the selling dealer, there is no charge to the vehicle owner for the labour content of the After Sales Service. Only for materials used will a charge be made. Check with your dealer to confirm if your vehicle is valid for this offer. To maintain warranty validation, an Engine History and Performance Report print out via the Lotus TechCentre must be submitted to the Warranty Department."

Note: I colored in red and also bolded the relevant wording.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
TOS changes all the time.. Not sure if having said document regarding an Elise or Exige would be relevant info to the Evora. It's good to know you HAD said documentation for an Exige/Elise. Very good indeed.
Not following your point, but ok.

·
Registered
75 Posts
From Evora 400 workshop manual (I would assume it is also somehwere for the GT just like it was for the S1s):

"After Sales Service
To be performed by the selling dealer within 1,000 - 1,500 miles (1,500 - 2,500 km) or 12 months of vehicle sale, whichever first occurs. Dependant upon the market, if carried out by the selling dealer, there is no charge to the vehicle owner for the labour content of the After Sales Service. Only for materials used will a charge be made. Check with your dealer to confirm if your vehicle is valid for this offer. To maintain warranty validation, an Engine History and Performance Report print out via the Lotus TechCentre must be submitted to the Warranty Department."

Should of bold it in Chrome Orange.. I might of missed it if you hadn't done it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,463 Posts

"After Sales Service

TOS from Elige to Evora didn’t change. Go figure.🤣

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The post earlier that linked to the $900 service, that was me. Also in the Bay, so come by and say hi.

After the fact, I realized that only the data dump is required to keep warranty, as long as you can prove you've done the rest with receipts (oil/filter/etc all to Lotus spec).

But, I also decided that on a car of this price point, it was CYA to have Lotus do the first. I haven't decided about the next one though <poke>

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
741 Posts
As I've shared elsewhere, my first service was at a Lotus dealer, cost $275 because it wasn't the selling dealer, and I asked for and received a copy of the ECU dump no extra charge. Well worth it to comply with the printed warranty requirements. For $900?!? I'd be shopping around for other, more reasonable Lotus dealers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For the dealer to charge $800+, what’s their hourly shop rate? I know everything is expensive out there, gas close to 2x what we pay here in Ohio, Million dollar homes that sell for $100k here…. and the list goes on,

thus I could see hourly shop rates significantly more then what most other parts of the country charge.

I paid $350 for my first service and they provided a data dump. I had to go back to the dealer at 5,200 miles for a warranty issue, window regulator. They gave me another data dump printout…..

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
72 Posts

View attachment 1295773
I just did my 1st service in Lotus SF (on Pine Street). Oil change + data dump. I was given a copy as well. The bill is $275.

I wanted to do my service at Boardwalk (as I bought my car there), but their service dept couldn't take my car until 2 weeks later.

I chat w/ Lotus Guru and he said it's a one-hour job. I am curious what that $800-$1000 bill contains.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts