The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
I like reading the comments from the readers. I like the "So what exactly is the niche that Lotus fills?" comment...

Some people just dont get it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
"fordfan4life" wants to know where the missing 3 HP are. rotfl

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
A couple of things I noticed - first I wonder if this is the same car used at the LA show minus the decals on the doors and rear.

That car had decals along the mohawk instead of exposed carbon fiber like mine. Looks like they were removed and the 260 decal applied to the rear along with LOTUS letters.

Anyway - the other odd thing I noticed is the weight. My cars documentation shows 2000lbs - this says 2032lbs.

I am still breaking in my engine - so I have not gotten aggressive with it and will not likely use the launch control - however I will say this is the best Exige I have ever had (having owned a N/A 06 and and 07 S) - the quality is a few notches higher.

I always thought the gap around the rear hatch and doors was noticably large on my previous Exiges. The 260 is significantly reduced. I was able to literally stick my finger around the gap of the hatch of my 07 - I cant do that with the 260 and it lines up perfectly with the sides. The doors hang perfectly too - there is a smooth continuous line to the rear clam. My 06 had about a half an inch drop there. In fact, all the gaps and openings are exactly even and perfectly lined up.

I don't know if that is because my 260 (from what I can tell) is the 1st US car or if it Lotus has improved production standards.

In addition - the shifter is more positive. The seats hold you in like glue - no slipping on Alacantara. The lack of a rear view mirror improves forward visibility - I never knew how much better that is without that.

The only complaint - if you can call it one - is the brakes are awfully agressive. It is hard to strike a balance between severe bite and minor grip. For instance, to come to a gradual stop at a stop light --- you either nearly lock the brakes up - as if it has severly boosted power brakes - or you cause a loud humm as it comes to a stop barely (and I mean barely) pressing the pedal. My 06 and 07's brakes seemed more conducive to regular driving conditions. These newer brakes are serious but are perhaps best for the track.

The Sport 260 (notice the cars do not have the S designation on them) is hard core and not for everyone - but then again, no Exige is. The Sport 260 is limited to 50 cars (we'll see if this actually happens though) primarily because of the carbon fiber and extra bits (accusump, battery). I don't know they will actually make 50 examples of this - we are already in May and as of now, there are only 3 cars here (not counting this press car). We have about 1 more month of 2009 production before they start on 2010 and the Evora's.

This car isn't comparible to any Porsche, GTR, Vette, etc. It's a different approach that exhibits specialized characteristics and abilities that appeal to certain types.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Why do they always send a 6 foot 3 inch, 210 pound man to review a Lotus?

They hate the car immediately since they can't get in or out easily.

Here's the guy who writes for Autoweek.

He always loves the new Lotus.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
The acceleration numbers should be higher if the LC didn't crap out on the author....

Should be lower 0-60 and lower 1/4 mile, but it's still very good for only having a 4000 RPM launch.
A 13.0 1/4 mile time! That is only .3 faster than a 2005 Elise, and it has 70 more HP. I know the LC was acting up but still it should be at least 12.5 with that kind of power to weight ratio. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
A 13.0 1/4 mile time! That is only .3 faster than a 2005 Elise, and it has 70 more HP. I know the LC was acting up but still it should be at least 12.5 with that kind of power to weight ratio. :shrug:

That's my point. The LC bugging out makes a big difference! `

Exige S's have been tested in the 12s pretty consistently, so you're right, it could easily hit that mark.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
The missing 3hp comment was classic. Plus the exige s 220 accel numbers are suspect.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Why do they always send a 6 foot 3 inch, 210 pound man to review a Lotus?
Good Point.

I have to say I really don't understand why Lotus puts a launch control system in a car like this.

If anyone knows, let me know.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The guy doesn't get it - he seems obsessed with drag-racing the thing....:thwack:
LOL... it kind of highlights the differences between US and European car enthusiasts... in the US, all the car mags are obsessed with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times; in Europe they're more interested in lap times (i.e. the 'Ring. Top Gear's track, etc)

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
80 grand, I got my Elise for 43,500 new in 2006.

There cannot be THAT much difference in performance to merit ~36,000 increase...wow!

I hope they all sell.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I did an [email protected] 1/8th mile, with a 1.75 60ft in my FF275 car, Unichip, base tune 93 octane, UHP rear tires.... With a 4500rpm launch(Ive been told by other lotus drivers that a harder launch, 5500-6000 rpm would get me 1.6 60s and 7.8s, but I didnt feel comfortable putting the car through that)This equates to a mid-low 12second 1/4 mile...and 100mph in just over 9 seconds.

Im 235 lbs, my car has no LSD or crappy launch control.

Funny when mag testers are just flat out bad...

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
80 grand, I got my Elise for 43,500 new in 2006.

There cannot be THAT much difference in performance to merit ~36,000 increase...wow!

I hope they all sell.

It's $75k without options...

So you're paying for the fact it's an Exige, (add $10k), has a supercharger/intercooler (add $7-8kk), all the carbon fiber pieces that make the car lighter and probably cost a lot, and the wheels, etc.(add $10k), and the newer model years cost more (add $5k). The rest is just exclusivity!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,170 Posts
I totally agree - hell it was almost 4 years ago when I squeaked out a 13.18 @ 102.70 mph out of my bone stock Elise (weighing in at 2100lbs at the line).

Poor bugger doesn't get it... or know how to drive... :wallbang:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Sadly, I'll have to admit, the smart way for me to go would have been to buy a bone stock elise with NO options at all (the most basic model possible), then add the real stuff -- it would have come to less than my 07 Exige S.

I should have know that would be the case -- I've done this enough times to know...ugh!

So Lotus did a 12.8 1/4 mi with S 220 and Motor Trend did a 13.0 with an S 260?? Wonder what Motor Trend can do with an 380 R - 12.9? hehe

Rob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts