The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enjoying all the tips and info on this forum, many thanks, for causing me to spend a mini ****-ton of money!! haha. My daily driver is 2019 BMW M2 Competition so I'm super excited to see how Lotus compares. Question - the car I'm buying does not have cruise control which is odd IMO but oh well, got a good deal. Does anyone know if its a simple plug and play scenario to add this feature??

Many thanks

·
Loves to talk
1,107 Posts
First, congratulations. Second, tell us about it, or better, post a few pics.

Your two cars will be very different. I've had a few goes in the M2 Comp and although I haven't been coaxed into one yet I could see it making a terrific pair.with my Evora. It's a very different feel.

Mine came with cruise so I don't have first hand experience but the switch readily available from several sources. Bought from Lotus I think it's probably $150 to land here buy here's one of several threads on the issue.

Welcome!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The dealer did source the cruise buttons and will install prior to delivery for around $350.00.

I haven't yet spent enough seat time in the Lotus to give a fair comparison but first impressions would be:
1. The Lotus feels lighter on its feet, more willing to change direction quickly which makes sense considering the weight difference. The M2 Comp comes in at 3600 vs 3120 for the Lotus. The Lotus rides very nice, more compliant and less "shocking" over bumps than the BMW. The M2 is very stiff, not in a bad way personally, but definitely stiffer in immediate feel. I haven't had a chance to push the Lotus so I can't speak to roll, etc. I've autocrossed the M2 a few times already and will get the Lotus out asap for a better head to head. Needless to say the M2 Competition is extremely competent on the track and a joy to drive in general. It is super easy to get in and out of versus the Lotus and just much roomier in general. The sunroof helps considerably....
2. Haven't had a chance to compare acceleration yet, but will say the M2 accelerates very hard past 3000 rpm, too much for the tires through 3rd gear at least. I'm swapping the 265's out back for 285's next week (same as the Lotus) so I'll be able to see how much of a difference that makes on the track with the BMW. I didn't push the Lotus at all during my drives thus far so I can't speak to it's acceleration. The published numbers show about the same 0-60 time.
3. Overall in my short seat time, the Lotus is like a glove, much smaller and lower inside and I like the feeling of being "in" the car unlike the M2 where you are sitting up higher. I prefer the feel of the Lotus in this respect and love the mid-engine layout. My first car was a first generation Toyota MR2...lots of similarities in how the environment feels.
4. The big differentiator for me is the overall fit/finish and tech niceties. The M2 has a very nice infotainment center although I don't recall ever even touching the actual radio buttons since you end up using the display and center console knob/button for most all input. The tactile feel is much more polished in the BMW. The stereo is excellent IMO. Seats are very nice and very adjustable. This makes sense when you look at the scale of the companies and they're resources. I don't fault the Lotus for not having all the "stuff" and time will tell if this even becomes an issue as I could see using my phone for GPS and streaming radio anyway. The instrumentation in the BMW is obviously way more techie with displays while the Lotus is total old school - I like both! I'm concerned about the seats falling apart in the Lotus from some of the info I've seen on the forum but hopefully this gets resolved under warranty if it indeed becomes an issue. I'm much more concerned with the stuff that would leave you stranded and that is where I felt the Lotus was worth my money using the Toyota motor. I had a 1984 Celica GT back in the day and drove it for ten years, selling it with 180k on the clock. The car was super reliable and this weighed heavily on my trusting that the Lotus would be worth the purchase.
5. Overall so far I just love the look of the Evora which is gorgeous in a different way than the M2. The M2 is nice but very staid as the Germans like, not swoopy and sexy like the Lotus. Totally different recipes....but I like both.
I'll update as get to throw some miles on the Lotus.

This is my second M2 btw, having a 2018 M2 that I traded for the 2019 M2 Competition. After driving both, I have to say the Comp has been better with regards to the additional power but it sounds like **** compared to the 2018. I hate that and it makes me miss the 2018 in some respects although I used to bang off of the rev limiter constantly, it just didn't have any guts above 5500 rpm while the Comp pulls hard all the way to redline. A sidenote would be that the Lotus sounds UNREAL and there is absolutely no comparison versus either of the M2's. Under acceleration especially, the exhaust note is simply magical.
The 2018 had a more manic feel in the way it accelerated and the throttle feel and response which I really liked. The Comp still feels lazy to me in the way the throttle reacts even in Sport Plus. The real M seats and mirrors on the Comp are nice and do make it feel like more a true M car compared to the 2018. I love the hockenheim silver on the Comp, but really do miss the mineral grey. I did notice though that the mineral grey had noticeable lemon peel versus the hockenheim silver which looks like a still lake....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice write-up and welcome. I've always been curious of the M2 so it's nice to read your comparison with the Evora. Love the Motorsport green

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Loves to talk
1,107 Posts
I think I've seen your new car on these pages previously. The graphics are unmistakable. Very nice!

My take, apart from the differences you'd expect between a Lotus and a BMW (which you detailed earlier ) is as usual when discussing Lotus, about the dynamics and feel of the two. The M2 has more low end and midrange grunt, but the Evora pulls harder at the top end of the range. The power deliveries are quite different just as you'd expect between "twin power turbo technology" tuned for grunt and the supercharged Lotus which makes power at the end of the dial. The Evora rewards revving out much like a normally aspirated car.

The seat covers are almost guaranteed to pull out in an early 400. The fix ,the improved clips, installed by a conscientious (and experienced) technician will get it done for the duration. This is something that would not happen on any BMW. How such a simple requirement as sturdily attached seat upholstery was not met by the manufacturer (Sparco) from new is a bit of a mystery. After all, building seats is what they do. It's the sort of flea bite that really never should have been in the first place. But the remedy is there.

But above all, the Evora improves your sex appeal, impresses neighbors, encourages personal weight loss, smells great inside, makes all fuel stops an event, comes in many colors, teaches patience and forbearance, promotes world peace, is a better, more shockingly tiny car to use for packing in clowns at the circus and unlike the new Supra, actually has a Toyota motor. You can't say that about any BMW and so the case is closed.

You have a very nice pairing that clearly will appeal to any serious driver.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Great looking Lotus. And you are going to enjoy all the conversations it triggers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts