The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came home from an amazing track day hosted by Shinoo and Sector 111 at Streets Of Willow. What a great day. If you've never taken your Lotus on a track...FIND A WAY TO DO IT!... THIS is what these cars were built for.
Shinoo was kind enough to let us try a set of Yokahama slicks (available thru Sector) to experience the differance between Street tires and slicks...I was BLOWN AWAY. I'm an ok driver. My average times on Streets is around 1:30 (clockwise with the bowl). The best time I had all day was high 1:30's (very hot day and track) on Toyo r888's. Then I put on the slicks...1:26.3!!!
FOUR SECONDS simply by puttiing on a set of slicks...amazing. Maybe I'm just naive but that seems HUGE. More experienced track guys may wonder what I'm going on about , but for a novice like me, that was pretty cool. Thanks Shinoo!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My best time was 1:29.7 on perfect Toyo r888's and a perfect track (air temp, 70 degrees). Today it was 100 degrees. The track temps had to be 125. On slicks on a very greasy track, I beat my best time ever by 3 seconds...pretty significant.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
My best time was 1:29.7 on perfect Toyo r888's and a perfect track (air temp, 70 degrees). Today it was 100 degrees. The track temps had to be 125. On slicks on a very greasy track, I beat my best time ever by 3 seconds...pretty significant.
yesterday was hot i had a 129 and a bunch of 130s in the mornining. it was about 2-3 seconds slower in the pm. in cooler conditions i can run in the 28s slicks are good for2-3 seconds depending on the driver. on the big track i had a set of Jacks on my old elise and i ran a 137 compaired to high 39s on 048s. Craig Stantion took the car with slicks and did a 130.04 with a 30-45mph head wind on the straight. carl

·
Premium Member
4,676 Posts
wow,...didn't know that slicks would make that much of a difference...

They don't..... generally speaking, slicks are good for about 1.5 to 2 seconds over good R-compound tires. Four seconds at the Streets is a bit much -- of course, new slicks and old R888's could maximize the differences. ;) Length and technicality of the track needs to be factored in also. Slicks also "go away" faster than typical R-compound tires -- they stick like glue when new but deteriorate rather quickly.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Tires can make or break a track outing. If you suspect that your tires are not up to par it will be exactly like that. The more your thinking about your set up the less your thinking about driving. But slicks on track or autox make a very noticeable difference. Remember 2 seconds is a lifetime in racing.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
You're welcome! Slicks are pretty amazing. I think the added confidence they inspire helps reduce those times as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts