The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I signed up for my first track day in the Elise for June 5th. I've driven the track before in my M3 and know the ins and outs of driving a front engine/rwd, but mid-engine/rwd is a bit new to me.

Any tips or tricks when entering and exiting turns etc? Looking for an overall best way to drive the Elise and drive it correctly before I head out there.

Sorry for the newbie post!

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
as you will hear many a time, don't lift in a turn....to do it safely, brake early so that you get can get on throttle quicker in the turn.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as you will hear many a time, don't lift in a turn....to do it safely, brake early so that you get can get on throttle quicker in the turn.
Do you tend to stay on the gas whole way through the turn or is it brake, layoff/turn in, gas out?

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
There are several different ways of doing it....but what I've learned from Craig S., who is an amazing teacher, is to brake before the turn, off brake at corner entry (as opposed to trail braking), throttle on as you are exiting turn, and unwinding the steering wheel at the same time. But again, there are many ways to do it....

When I race with the Spec Racer guys....they always tell me, the faster you can get on throttle, the faster you will get corner exit speed is the fastest guy out there...this is the philosophy in lower hp cars.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Without a doubt, the "brake early and straight, then feed in the power" is the safest way of getting around corners -- and will get you moving quickly. You can then adjust the fine details of easing off the brake just as you turn in, etc., once you are comfortable. But for the first day out I would suggest that you stick with the basics; unless you are a true prodigy (in which case you've chosen the wrong career!) you will not exceed the speed you can get from the "baseline" approach.

Steve

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I just participated in my first track event and very much enjoyed it. The previous post are what was being instilled during my track time. Follow that advice and you also will enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
IMO, the big difference is in your rate of correction (ie: how fast you counter steer) when you feel some excess slip angle. With the short wheelbase and rear weight bias, you have to correct very very quickly when compared to how you correct a slide in a FR car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IMO, the big difference is in your rate of correction (ie: how fast you counter steer) when you feel some excess slip angle. With the short wheelbase and rear weight bias, you have to correct very very quickly when compared to how you correct a slide in a FR car.
I figured as much, I signed up for an autox/wet skid pad day earlier to feel the loss of grip and how fast the reaction has to be.

Thanks for the help guys, trying to make the most of the day, but be comfortable in the car and get better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Corey,

I'll be at that event! See you there!

Wendy
Nice! I'm bringing a photographer with me and an Exige so it should be a good time.

Got my buddy approved to shoot from anywhere on the track, I think he's gonna sell the pics as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.