The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my first track day coming up in a few weeks.

Where can I go get fitted for a helmet in the LA area?

Does anyone recommend the CG-lock device from BWR?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Personally, I don't like the CG lock. In the event of a serious accident you want the seat belts to work as designed and they are not designed with a foreign clamp involved. Until I see formal crash test fottage of the CG lock in action and working then I'd advise not to bother.

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks, good inputs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I bought a CG-lock from BWR last fall, but only used it for a couple track sessions before deciding a harness system was worth the investment. It's probably worth trying as an interim solution to keep you in your seat, but you'll probably want to swap it out if you do track or solo events with any regularity.

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you want to see what it's like to use a CG lock without spending the $40 or so, get a seatbelt clamp from a baby/kid car seat. It's a metal clip that's used to hold the seatbelt in place when you attach a car seat with a 3-pt harness. It's not as convenient as the CG lock, which can be released easier, but has the same effect. I used one at my last track day and it made me feel more planted in the seat compared to using the seatbelt alone. If you or a friend have a car seat laying around (or one attached to a car using the LATCH system), you'll find the clip somewhere on the back of the frame of the seat. I think Babies 'r' Us sells them too. All that being said, a real harness is probably in order if you're going to spend any real time at the track.

-Brad

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The other thing with CG Lock is that some clubs or associations don't allow them so check your rules on that.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't know if the federal elises's have seat belt pre-tensioners - if they do then do you really want a super tight seat belt clamped in place and then in a crash have what is effectively an explosive bolt fire to pull the seat belt even tighter? All that will happen is the seat belt will stretch more than it was supposed to and at best removing some of the energy absorbing effectivness of the belt and at worst increasing the risk of total belt failure.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't know if the federal elises's have seat belt pre-tensioners - if they do then do you really want a super tight seat belt clamped in place and then in a crash have what is effectively an explosive bolt fire to pull the seat belt even tighter?
That's an interesting point. I hadn't considered that. I happened to be looking through the service manuals today for something else and came across the seatbelt section. The Federal Elise/Exige do have pretensioners.

Not to hijack the thread, but...
Thinking this through, if you're in an accident with the CG-Lock or the [email protected]$$ version I mention above, the effect of the pretensioner will be similar as if you weren't wearing one:
  • With a CG-Lock, you get in the car, put on the 3-pt harness, pull up on the shoulder portion of the belt to tighten the lap belt, and then close the lock.
  • The lap belt portion is now "racing harness tight" and the shoulder belt portion is unaffected according to the Blackwatch website.
  • With the CG-Lock locked in place, pulling on the shoulder belt does not impact the tightness or looseness of the lap belt.

Now, an accident occurs that triggers the safety devices (not that I'm wishing that on anyone). The pretensioners fire and tighten the belt. If the CG-Lock is locked in place, only the shoulder portion of the belt tightens. If the CG-Lock is not being used, both the shoulder and lap portions of the belt tighten. Isn't the net effect the same since the lap belt was tightened when the CG-Lock was applied? Of course, this assumes you're using the device correctly.

I don't sell the CG-Lock or work for anyone that does. Heck, I don't even own one. I'm just kind of thinking out loud here. Thoughts?

-Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts