The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
...for the record, I am using Willwood EXP 600, mainly 'cause that's what my local shop had on hand. It was ~$20/bottle but you only really need one (I got two just in case, but didn't use the second).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What tires? If 048s go 26/28 hot. Don't get caught up in the common paradyme that says bump the PSI 5-10 over the manufacturer's recommendation. Stay at or just under what Lotus recommends.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Currently running Advan Neovas. I refilled them at the gas station and wow, what a difference! It was totally my fault for being lazy/busy to not fill them up after purchasing the car. The car feels like night and day! The struggle with no power steering that I just accepted entirely went away. Feels like I revamped the suspension and wheel set up. Moral of the story, don't be lazy. rotfl

Please look at fluid dry boiling point and get something better than super blue. There's plenty out there that's 50 degrees better.
Thanks for the tip. I've used Super Blue for so many years that I never considered another brand.

I use ATE in my last track car - worked fine for me but Jack is right about the boiling points. You can get Motul, Castrol SRF, Wilwood EXP, etc for a couple dollars more. The blue dye in ATE is nice for doing a flush, but then some folks don't like it because you never quite get the blue stain out. All are better than "regular" DOT4 stuff though.
I'll definitely look into those other brands. Much like you, I have had no issues with ATE at the track, but with my last platform, I had globs more braking power/hardware than the car needed.

I'll be at Laguna and then Infineon the same days running with trackmasters though I think I'll have the Evo out, still haven't decided!
Nice! Come by and say hi when you get a chance. I'll be in the 05 Storm Titanium most likely parked with my brother in his black Z06 and my friend in a silver M Coupe! =)

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
In my recollection, the stock pads wear a bit faster than a more aggressive pad like Ferrodo DS2500 (what I run now). I run RBF600 brake fluid, though it is a bit overkill.

For stock power levels and the base street tires, stock brakes are fine.

·
Registered
164 Posts
First Track Day

I will be doing my first track day in a few months (coming from Auto X) with R1R Toyos. I am assuming that I will have to upgrade the brake fluid? If so I usually refresh the fluid myself and pump the ABS like crazy which has worked previously. For the track do I have to utilize a shop with an ABS tool? I am concerned about leaving standard Dot 4 in the ABS and possibly some air.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would not advise flushing fluid on these cars without a speed / motive bleeder and assistance from someone who has done it before. If you get air in the ABS pump, the car is basically undrivable and you'll need to take it to a dealer or another shop that has the Lotus Scan Tool (which is the only thing that can actuate the ABS pump).

Also, take a good look at your fluid reservoir. There's a divider in the middle that splits the res into two chambers. If you're not paying attention, you can trick yourself into pumping one chamber completely empty because the level on the other side stops dropping . One guess how I know all this...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

21 - 29 of 29 Posts