The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I did try a number of searches but didn't come up with an existing thread on this topic. Feel free to correct or educate me if I'm needlessly proliferating.

I've convinced my wife to participate in her first HPDE track event this coming June. My hope is that she'll gain some understanding of the fun it brings to me, but it's possible she'll hate the experience and I'll have wasted her weekend. She's not particularly interested but is willing to humor me, and is concerned that she'll wreck the car and I'll be cranky.

I've tried to explain my reasoning and reassure her that she'll have a good time. I don't care if she gets hooked on track days. I'm only hoping she tastes the fun involved. Our friend is also bringing his wife for the first time to drive his car; we hope this will give each ladyfriend someone to share the new experience with.

What has been others' experiences with getting their spouse/partner/lover on the track for the first time? Any ideas on how I can improve the odds of this being a successful weekend?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
....I've convinced my wife to participate in her first HPDE track event this coming June....
...She's not particularly interested but is willing to humor me, and is concerned that she'll wreck the car and I'll be cranky...
...I've tried to .... reassure her that she'll have a good time....
i asked my wife once or twice. she said that she has no interest. i left it at that. she enjoys watching f1, IRL and nascar, but doesn't want to get behind the wheel of a fast car on the track.

if you re-read the snips from your first post, i think you'll get your answer.

this isn't like trying a bite of calamari or going to the golf driving range to try to hit some golf balls. it's a bit more involved.... personal safety. risk to property. potentially high stress for someone not mentally prepared for it.

are you buying a helmet for her? if not, is she the type to be grossed-out by a rental helmet.

i dunno, i wish you the best, but if you're dragging her into it, then i don't like the prospects.

$0.02

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
What has been others' experiences with getting their spouse/partner/lover on the track for the first time? Any ideas on how I can improve the odds of this being a successful weekend?
My wife had her first experience on any track at Hethel driving a 2-Eleven with Nick Adams as her instructor. She loved it and wants to do more:clap: I am going to sign her up for the Lotus driving school:bow:

http://www.lotuscars.com/DrivingSchool.aspx

A few months before we picked up the 2-Eleven she drove my Exige at one of the Club111 Autocross events and really enjoyed that.
:up:

·
Registered
357 Posts
My wife initially loved it because of the driving and also the social aspect. We then went to Skip Barber 3 day school and had a blast. Our Exige is actually hers. The problems started when she started to get good, move up in groups and track with some fast cars. The inevitable spin, dinging up her splitter and now she's not so interested, mainly because she likes the car and doesn't want to wreck it. Back on point - if there is a social component and you include her she will like it, if its a pole party and its cold and boring I would suggest alternatives.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points, Ace10. I hope I'm overstating her lack of interest. She does like to drive quickly, so perhaps this will give her the chance to do so freely and discover she likes it. A long shot? Probably.

·
Registered
664 Posts
To start, I did try a number of searches but didn't come up with an existing thread on this topic. Feel free to correct or educate me if I'm needlessly proliferating.

I've convinced my wife to participate in her first HPDE track event this coming June. My hope is that she'll gain some understanding of the fun it brings to me, but it's possible she'll hate the experience and I'll have wasted her weekend. She's not particularly interested but is willing to humor me, and is concerned that she'll wreck the car and I'll be cranky.

I've tried to explain my reasoning and reassure her that she'll have a good time. I don't care if she gets hooked on track days. I'm only hoping she tastes the fun involved. Our friend is also bringing his wife for the first time to drive his car; we hope this will give each ladyfriend someone to share the new experience with.

My wife says sure she will, as long as i take a ballet dancing class with her...:(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife says sure she will, as long as i take a ballet dancing class with her...:(
Nice. I did offer to go on a scrapbooking weekend with my wife if she played on the track with me. I'd rather chew my own leg off, but fair is fair.

And my friend and I are trying to play it up as a social affair. Weekend away, nice restaurants in the evenings, Dixie Chicken in College Station for pool & beer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We shared the car one track day and at the end of the day she stated "that could be addicting!"
Hopefully more track time for me...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts

·
Registered
'06 Exige
37 Posts
I started doing D.E.'s with the Porsche Club in a 911 in '02. She did her first in '03 in her daily driver Mustang and we had to buy her a 944 Turbo. She gets a little intimidated sometimes in the higher run groups but we can usually talk her thru it. At the risk of my manhood, the day she passed me (legitimatly - on a mission) made my day. Now we share the Exige (I don;t have to worry about her passing me any more?). It doubles the expense but it is a great way to share the experience - I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
One of our local Porsche Club of America chapters actually puts on a one-day DE event for women only. It's well attended, and the attendees say that they're much more comfortable going out there without having to worry about the overly-aggressive (male) student riding their bumper.

·
Long-term Lotus Fanatic
983 Posts
I'd been doing DEs in my Audi for 3-4 years when I put in the order for the Elise in 2002. We signed up for a Lotus Tour to Hethel, Donnigton's F1 museum, Classic Team, etc. for latter that spring.

It included a DE at Hethel if we wanted - and I most definitely wanted! I asked her if she was interested... After first being a little nervous about the whole thing (didn't help that she found a posting on the web from someone who took the class and scared himself sh**less... :(), she finally agreed to it.

She loved it - not just enjoyed it... LOVED IT!!!! Wanted to go again, immediately. She adapted to the right hand drive Elises better than I did. And... she walked away with the trophy for best slalom of the day - which, to this day she still waves under my nose. :D

Now she's as much a track junkie as me!

BTW - check out my images for her track car...

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
mine enjoys coming out to the track and hanging out and going for rides. Haven't convinced her to drive yet, she is just learning to drive a manual though, and is interested in getting herself a sporty little car to replace her prelude so there may be a future there.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My wife has been to a couple of our club events at a track which is set up to be somewhere between an auto-X course and a track. Fast enough to hit 3rd on occasion, but mostly first and second with a lot of emphasis on control.
So far she seems to enjoy it.
She had an opportunity to do a full course HPDE but due to a severe rain storm she was left with a less than favorable impression of the event.
Even still, she is looking forward to a chance to have another go at it.
Nothing like having the wife unit involved to help keep peace in the love nest.
If I could figure out how to get her to take an active interest in Formula Ford
then all would be perfect.

·
Long-term Lotus Fanatic
983 Posts
Nothing like having the wife unit involved to help keep peace in the love nest.
:up: I can't count the number of times I've had other guys tell me how lucky I was - how much they wished their wives/girlfriends would get involved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts