Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had my first true track weekend :clap:

minitracksmall1.jpg

Wait, What ????????????????????
That's not a Lotus :huh:
Please. Let me explain
A Lotus talk friend ( thank you Steve!) invited me to Putnam Raceway to watch him track his Exige. He encouraged me to bring my Evora, but I foolishly told him I just wanted to watch, maybe have a ride and learn the ropes a bit before I got out on the track.
After a 3 1/2 hour drive and getting to the track late afternoon Friday we set about unloading my friends Exige and watching the last few sessions of the day . After the track closed down we went back to our hotel and found the Race outfitter was doing next day registration for racing.
But wait, I did not bring my Lotus :facepalm I brought my wife's MiniCooper Clubman S because it got good gas mileage and was great on the highway.
But the race bug had bitten. So I signed up with My little wife's little Cooper and was set for a full day of racing on Saturday. Racing would include 3 drivers meetings with classroom instruction and Five 1/2 hour track sessions with a instructor.
Believe me nothing is worse than being lined up with 3 Corvettes, 2 Boss Mustangs, Various Camaros, and even a GTR with my little Cooper. I think my man parts shrunk a couple sizes sitting waiting for my first session.
Fortunately it turned out that a novice is a novice and the car did not make that big of a difference. confidence grew with every lap and by the 4th session I was pining for my Lotus.

Really started missing my lotus after riding with my friend in the Advanced group in his Exige. My instructor raced "spec' Miatas and was chasing down much higher powered cars on the track.

Moral of the story is do not go to the track without you Lotus, but if you do get out there anyway. Even if you are "Captain Slow' you can be sure "Admiral Slow' will be out there for you to chase down and pass.
By the end of the day I had passed 2 Corvettes, a Firebird, a Audi ,a Elise a few others. True, I was pass and passed a lot, but heck it was a blast.:coolnana:
Next time I will bring the Evora and will hopefully pass more and get passed less :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
had my first true track weekend :clap:

.......But wait, I did not bring my Lotus :facepalm I brought my wife's MiniCooper Clubman S because it got good gas mileage and was great on the highway.
Great photo and it sounds like you had a great time. But, did you tell your wife about her car? rotfl

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great photo and it sounds like you had a great time. But, did you tell your wife about her car? rotfl
I actually did ask her. And her reply....... and I quote....

"Take care of her, but she likes it fast and hard"

I love my Wife :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
We were visiting friends that day about 2 miles away from Putnam (as the crow flies) and I heard the action... it was painful listening all day 'cause I could not join the fun. :(

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Is that an old-school Trans-Am in the background? Shouldn't have had too much trouble with that now, did you?

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that an old-school Trans-Am in the background? Shouldn't have had too much trouble with that now, did you?
Yep, old school TA
Was able to pass him a few times. Usually coming out of a corner (novices are not allowed to pass in corners) I could ride him pretty hard and slingshot past him right after the corner, that is if he gave me the point by.
Lucky to have a bunch of people in the same boat as me which made me somewhat competitive against much higher HP cars :up:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is one with a Lotus Elise chasing me down. Unfortunately I had all season tires on the Mini, so I guess I could best describe my grip as "squishy" all in all the Mini did much better than expected. Cannot wait to have the stiff flat cornering of the Evora out there.

minitracksmall2.jpg

minitracksmall3.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts