The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It's typical for Dealers to service the car directly for warranty work. My local one has shipped me a couple bolts, but they probably didn't bother to bill Lotus.

I've had this experience with GMC and Audi. TADTS.

It is certainly cheaper to buy the part than to drive that distance.

·
Registered
803 Posts
ChrisH said:
The instructions on how to fix this permanently (and the guess at the cause of this) is at the sandsmuseum site. Here is a link to the page that describes this problem.
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/experience/maintenance/indicatorlens/indicatorlens.html
I take it back. That was a fix that worked for Jon, the person recommending it.

I did take mine back to the dealer to be fixed, twice. I decided I could do better.

I drilled a hole in the left over part of the tab. I then connected a small bungee cord to the hole and pulled it tight deep inside the clam. Works better.

What is really funny is that my dealer needed to replace my radiator under warranty. This required a clam removal. The tech needed to remove the bungee and replace it. You would think they would replace the lens at that time, clearly under warranty!

Michael

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
sandsmuseum said:
I drilled a hole in the left over part of the tab. I then connected a small bungee cord to the hole and pulled it tight deep inside the clam. Works better.
That sounds better than spring steel. Although the whole tab broke off my lens. I'm thinking... instead of attaching the bungee to the tab, I'll glue a strip of heavy nylon tie wrap to the underside of the lens and attach the bungee to the tie wrap. What might be difficult is finding a glue that will bond to the strong tie wrap yet adhere to the cheapo plastic of the lens. Dang I'm dismayed by the need to tape, glue and bungee my Lotus together. But I still love it! Just a small inconvenience.
mikester said:
And so a new expression is born !:clap:

Slapping the clam
Heehe! Slapping the clam haaa! It get's funnier the more I think about it. Wasn't there a thread about phrases coined from Elise owners?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My turn signals have been modified by the dealer (under warranty) with the European fix. Pictures are attached.

It consists of replacing the clips that hold it into the clam. The new clips are plastic loops, and are held by a self sealing pop-rivet.

One of the clips wouldn't seat all the way in just by pushing on the turn signal. So, I took some think electrical wire, folded it over and pushed the folded end through the access hole in the air intake of the front clam (the hole you use to unlatch the turn signals). I looped the wire over the clip and used the wire to pull down on the clip to seat it securely. I then simply pulled out the wire from one end.

I also used a zip tie to secure the turn signal wires to sturdy portions of the wiring harness. This allows only a few inches of play when the turn signal is out, which will help prevent it from banging into my front clam like it did before.

The service bulletin is Number 2003/03 Issue 2, dated June 26, 2003 (which supersedes issue 1).

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts