The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Racing Green/Tan '05 Elise w/ Sport, Touring, Hardtop and Black Exige Wheels last Thursday and drove it from San Diego to the Bay Area (thanks to all who had posted tips for the drive).

Really loving the car. Amazing handling, and certainly lots of looks - although I am sure a chrome orange or similarly bright color would get even more attention.

At 6'3" and size 12/13 shoe, I was worried because I had never sat in a 2005 before and heard the pedal spacing was tighter. I didn't have driving shoes, but did have my Asics track/casual sneakers (sort of like these), and they worked great. No problem at all.

Ride quality was better than expected. The only issue I had was when I got to a section of 101 just north of Los Angeles that had a rather high frequency "wave" pattern which caused the car to buck up and down, up and down, etc. I could see the front fenders successively rising and falling 2 to 3 inches in a sewing needle like motion. It caused a rather disturbing squegee like sound coming from the front of the car. Fortunately, once that road was behind me, the noise didn't come back. That is, until I drove up my driveway at an angle, but no big deal.

Only other annoyance is a metal on metal vibration/grinding noise coming from the gearshift. Kind of a major annoyance actually, because unlike some expected Lotus type noises, this one is more constant. If I hold the gearshift to one side, it goes away. If I am at low rpm and come off throttle, it goes away. If I am off throttle at higher rpm, it's there. I wonder if one of the cables, or part of the shifter is touching the tunnel it is housed in?

Anyways, I will end with a funny (although not at the time) story. Today I maniacally cleaned the car and then spritzed it with a quick detail (I had already put a coat of Klasse on it over the weekend). The car looked perfect, cleaned the windows too, etc. Moved it into the garage where I had built a partition wall. Unfortunately, my son moved the object that was holding the door open, and after the Lotus was in the garage, SLAM goes the door. Well, I had cut a ventilation opening in the drywall above the door and installed a vent. I didn't realize it, but a ton of drywall dust had settled on one of the horizontal pieces of framing. When the door slammed shut, it blew all the white dust all over the car. My car went from a beautiful shiny green, to a big powder puff. I just stared at it, mouth agape. Of course, backed it out again, cleaned it again, etc.

Noticed an imperfection in the paint at that point. Said #[email protected]&! Tried to scrape it off, and was successful! Gotta love happy endings like that. Isn't it a bit sick the types of things that bring car lovers happiness!:clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I don't know the cause of this, but I've owned 3 Elises (have one now) and one 06 Exige. Two I bought new, two I bought used with low miles.

Each and every one made the sound you described. Never identified the problem, but put a fair number of miles on a couple of the cars with no related problems, and eventually the sound becomes background/white noise.

If you do take the time to isolate the source of the noise, and the fix is simple, would love to hear about it. Otherwise, I just figure they all do that.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Pretty car!

Yeah, we bounce down the 101 and the 405 here in L.A.

Racing suspension and all...

Take it slowly in and out of driveways and have fun!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks to all those that responded. This is a great forum, and I am VERY excited to join the Lotus community. Been a while since I've had a car I could get excited about detailing in the driveway for 6 hours. The last fun car I had I sold back in 2000, and it was an Audi A4 with a PES supercharger, aftermarket suspension and exhaust, Azev wheels, and a sport grille. It was a fun car that was fast and incredibly smooth. The 2.8 30v engine with the supercharger made 280hp (stock was 190hp), and the power came on in a very linear fashion. Definitely felt faster than the Elise (in a straight line anyway), but of course, nowhere near as fun in terms of both the driving and ownership experience.

By the way, the forum already helped me fix something. My shift tell tale was emitting pulses of light as I went over bumps. I searched the forum and saw a post regarding this happening as a result of a loose battery connection. Sure enough, I removed the batter cover to find a very loose batter cable connection. Tightened it up and haven't seen the light come on since.

Mike

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amazing Lotus!!!!!
Makes me jealous...can't wait for mine!!!!
Well, with your stable of vehicles, it doesn't seem like you'd be suffering THAT badly! :)

When I'm not in the Elise, I am driving a Murano that I inherited when my wife got a company car and forced me to sell my '99 Mercedes C280 Sport since we didn't need 3 daily drivers. I really grew attached to that Benz. Fit me like a glove.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Gotta luv LRG!!! Only difference is the red interior I needed!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
how much are those wheels? Im thinking about upgrading my stock elise wheels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts