The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year in, 7000 miles as a daily driver and the car is faultless.

Everything has now been taken care of under warranty, all minor niggles and more motivated by getting value out of the warranty and perception when comes to resale.

5 things I’ve learned:

Don’t worry about reliability – this car is mechanically sound. I run this car in Texas heat and zero problems.

Don’t worry about fuel consumption when in Sport – thrilling throttle response more than makes up for it

Don’t worry about rear tyre wear – they will wear, pay more attention to how evenly they wear and get alignment done if needed

Don’t be self-conscious when other people stare at the car – they are looking at the car, not you. It is fun taking time to talk to folks and being a Lotus ambassador explaining all the design details and history of the company as well as, of course, the exceptional handling

Do drive the car as it was intended – no show ponies here, this car performs best when being asked questions. I was lucky enough to go to the Lotus Driving Academy recently and during the 3 days you learn what these cars can do and it is plenty! Well worth the investment to get schooled as gives you a whole new appreciation for the car.

Fast, safe, comfortable, looks the part and is not ridiculously expensive to run.

This car is incredible. :tadts:

·
Registered
892 Posts
2nd year of ownership

Agree! Was two years old in June.

I've not had the flawless experience you have had. Finally the throttle body connector pins were recently replaced with gold pins. No more rough idle on a cold start! It has always run perfectly after the idle had a chance to smooth out.

I also had the NAV fixed so a passenger can operate it while moving.

All is good. Nearing 17K miles.

It is SO nice to drive. The driving school sounds great - would like to do.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The issues are definitely "peripheral" and not that consistently bad.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Coming up on three years and we can say the same. As solid as any car I've owned.

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
10 years of Lotus driving and never been let down yet.

·
Registered
456 Posts
thank you for the feedback!

·
Registered
392 Posts
7000 miles in one year? 3 weeks into ownership and I'm already at 2000 miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
2 1/2 years here, but only 6k miles.
No real problems and no mechanical problems at all
  • small paint issue which was fixed under warranty
  • passenger airbag cover fixed under warranty
  • cruise control has a mind of its own, but works more times than not
  • loose fuse which mad my gauges stop working

I have had more problems with just about every other car I have owned in the last 30 years.

·
Asst. Helmet Tester
1,229 Posts
Good to hear. I'm about a year and a half in and coming up on 12k. No real problems at all, and the minor stuff has always been taken care of really quickly and easily under warranty. This experience probably represents 95% of the owners who have these cars, but only 5% of the discussions on this forum ;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My car just turned 2 this July. I'm at 23,000 miles.
The car has been solid.

The only real issue I've had with the car is the master cylinder going bad. It has been replaced 3 times during my ownership.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I'll jump in here too. I've had my Evora for 13 months & just hit 18k miles yesterday. I've had zero mechanical problems with mine, & it still has never been to the dealer for any warranty work. I've been wanting to get it there for some minor trim stuff & the Sirius radio issue that is common, but I just can't fathom being without the car. I've owned Mitsubishi, Audi, BMW, & Porsche cars, but the Evora has been my most reliable & enjoyable car ever. I've told myself that once my daughter starts back to school in the fall that I'll have the warranty work done. We'll see... :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Good to hear. I'm about a year and a half in and coming up on 12k. No real problems at all, and the minor stuff has always been taken care of really quickly and easily under warranty. This experience probably represents 95% of the owners who have these cars, but only 5% of the discussions on this forum ;)
+1--:clap: we don't see enough positive posts (maybe because they are less "newsworthy").
I'm starting my fifth year at almost 20K miles with no significant issues.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,479 Posts
Between my '11 and my '12 I have 12,00 miles. All is great. Only those little warranty issues and I get great help there from my dealer. Actually much more of a daily driver than I first expected. Again this morning, I intended to drive my Saab convertible to work and then drove the Evora instead. It is just too much fun.

·
Registered
544 Posts
agree

The issues are definitely "peripheral" and not that consistently bad.
One only has to see the GM debacle, and many of other car manufacturers to understand all cars (i.e. Porsche replacing all 991 GT3 motors!, plus cash for "pain and suffering"! while halting production to remedy blown motors/fires) have problems. The "niggling" problems appears to be universally addressed by Lotus warranty without hesitation for the most part as this forum demonstrates. The overall mechanical reliability in this car which is used more aggressively I would venture than most of the high end exotics (Ferrari, A-M, Lambo, Pagani, etc, which most owners parade around in for personal notice-ask how many have used the brakes aggressively enough to ever invoke the ABS, for example) is a testament to its construction.
"Niggles" aside, I enjoy driving the ******** out of it.........and not worrying about a high 5 figure rebuild invoice, or as in the case of previous Ferraris, "scheduled" maintenance every 3yrs/3000 miles for timing belts/tensioners etc @$3-5000 a visit-(I know, this was remedied with the 430 and 458, but at an increased purchased cost which nicely covered the lost maintenance revenue)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
5 years this October, and around 7000 miles ( 5th car). Once I replaced the head unit and added a dead pedal, and had the armrest covers reupholstered in leather plus a nice set of S wheels. Every thing has been good. I did have a few warranty issues to deal with new instrument cluster, driver side window regulator, and the clutch fluid line installation. I did have the original ALPINE head unit worked on five times under warranty before it replaced it. So far fingers crossed my dash and air bag covers have been fine. Have mostly driven the car on long trips San Diego twice MONTEREY 4 TIMES, and I'm just about to go to Monterey again next week with the car.
Ron:UK:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I hope you are staying for the Monterey car week. I fly out every year for it.

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
All periphal stuuff doesn't keep you from driving it. In an amusing way, some of the defects have allowed us to have continually "refreshed" cars. They have worked the vast majority of things out now. Don't know anyhting German that's remotely as reliable to be honest and that includes my X5 which goes in on Monday to address the sunroof cover which seems to be failing.....

My minor list of parts is all in at the dealer except for one and I'll get up soon for those things. One visit to sort out a semi-exotic car is NOT bad at all IMHO!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts