The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As seems to be the case each spring my current Deka ETX20L won't hold a charge and needs to be replaced. Last year I found one for $45 shipped but the best I can find now is about $70. After some Googling the FirstPower FPM20-12 is listed as a drop in replacement, same size and specs. I found this one from NewEgg.com via one of their affiliate vendors.

FirstPower FPM20-12

Anyone see why this wouldn't work? I do have a battery disconnect and trickle charger I just tend to be stupid and forget to use them (which yes, is rather stupid of me). This one doesn't look like it's as nice as the Deka but I don't know that I really care, so long as the battery produces the same power and won't explode or anything.

Thoughts?

-Ross

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you be sure it's different or just trying to find out as it may be different? I have to admit I don't know a ton about the subject around watts, amps, volts, etc.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Go to NAPA and ask for their ETX20L battery. It is a Deka with a NAPA label on it and a NAPA warranty.

Some times you can "reserve" a part online NAPAonline.com and save 10%.

·
He's on fire!
3,088 Posts
I had the same issue with EXT20L, instead of buying another battery after 2/3 years I got a charger for these kinds of batteries with a desulfate option. My battery works again (but admittedly charger was the price of a new battery)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the NAPA tip guys, that's helpful as I drive by a NAPA almost every day. I looked on their site and it said I couldn't reserve online but rather needed to call the store. They didn't have a price listed for it and it seemed like maybe they don't carry it any further but it's easy enough for me to call or stop by.

That's also good to know about the different trickle charger. When I bought mine years back I did get a fairly nice Black and Decker but don't remember anything like you're describing. I'll have a look at it shortly and depending I may pick one up. Even if it's expensive it's probably cheaper than replacing the battery each year.

BTW what is this battery designed for in the first place, cars like our or things like motorcycles, snow mobiles, etc?

Thanks for the help guys, everyone here at LotusTalk never lets me down!

-Ross

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
@rosscarlson - Given the history you describe, I'd recommend either a wet lead acid battery or a lithium ion battery. The reason is that lead acid AGM and gel cells are the least resistant to abuse. Dropping an AGM battery below minimum volts just one time can render it useless. On the other hand, a wet lead acid cell will survive that treatment and keep working (albeit with some minor loss of capacity). A good lithium ion battery will have a battery protection circuit that will disconnect itself from a load and then it has a very slow self-discharge rate to survive the six month hiatus before you remember to charge it.

I realize you would probably like to avoid the hassle of venting acid, so that points to a lithium ion battery. My lithium ion is 5 years old and still going strong. Maybe something to consider . . .

Glen

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the thoughts Glen, I appreciate it. I haven't looked into lithium batteries as aren't they stupid expensive or are they falling to reasonable prices. I remember when the carbon fiber Chimera battery hit the market it was more than $1000 (if I'm remembering correctly). As for the wet lead acid cell batteries do you know if there are any that are the same size/form-factor as the Deka / EXT20L I have now? I ask as my car has a battery relocation to the firewall just behind the passenger seat. It's rather tight in there and I'd want to be able to use the bracket that Phil added when he moved it there.

I know the real solution is for me to stop being such a lazy dumbass and just put the thing on the charger and switch the disconnect off.

-Ross

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just chatted with an extremely nice and helpful guy at my local NAPA and while he didn't have it there he has it at his local warehouse and could have it for me in a few hours. As I suspected it's quite a bit more at ~$100 and while they price match they don't match online pricing (not surprised). He commented that if I wanted it "he'd work with me" on the price and while I didn't push him then I may call him back tomorrow and see what he'd give it to me for. He was so cool in general that honestly I'd love to give him the business so long as he got somewhat close to online pricing.

I'll do some more Googling so at a minimum I could show him a bunch of cheaper pricing to see what he'd do. While sure NAPA is a large company I generally prefer to do business with local merchants rather than some unknown company online. The specific NAPA has been very helpful to me in the past.

So at this point it seems that consensus is to skip the FPM20-12 and go with the EXT20L like I've had in the past (other than the ones that Glen mentioned).
@Glen do you have any links or model numbers for a lithium battery that would fit?

-Ross

1 - 10 of 10 Posts