The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most will say drink protein after your work out but I prefer before and after. Also depending on your goals and workout routine you will likely need more than one protein shake/source a day.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Both before and an hour or so after have their benefits (though before kinda depends on the type of workout) - but immediately after it wouldn't be as beneficial as a recovery drink that has a 4:1 or so carb:protein ratio. This kind of stuff is well documented all over the web, so you'll find better info with a Google search.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You want BCAA'S while you work out, and the entire spectrum of AA's after your workout.

Here is where you can split hairs.......

during intense physical activity, your digestion rate slows considerably..... so you generally want to have your pre workout be light and easy to digest. For me, a protein shake before(which does have BCAA's) is just too much for me to digest adequately beforehand(within 30 minutes of workout)

I just use optimum amino energy pre workout, it is not the best mix for pre/intra workout, but it does the job and I use it at other times of the day as well, and of course, very easy to digest. I also ONLY use products that mix well and taste good.

Whatever you do, unless youre hulking, dont try to buy results. Keep it simple. The a. energy and protein powder I have is great for meal replacement/snack as well.

·
Such Administrating
6,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well right now I'm not lifting or anything, pretty much all cardio, I am 2 weeks into insanity to try to get rid of my little gut that I have. I may try to add some lifting in with it soon.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
How do you define "protein shake". If it is of the kind that is mostly protein with little to no carbs I would not drink that after a work out. Your body would do better with a meal replacement shake or a protein shake that was also filled with some carbs to replenish your body. It is best to eat and or drink with in 30 minutes after your workout.

·
Registered
570 Posts
How do you define "protein shake". If it is of the kind that is mostly protein with little to no carbs I would not drink that after a work out. Your body would do better with a meal replacement shake or a protein shake that was also filled with some carbs to replenish your body. It is best to eat and or drink with in 30 minutes after your workout.
again, it is all about digestion.

The purpose of protein within 30 minutes of a work out is to get amino acids rapidly back into the muscle tissue.

Some meal replacements are high on carbohydrates, which will adversely affect this process.

As long as a meal rep. is low on carbs(less than 10 grams) and 25 gram ish of protein, you are fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If i may, Protein, or better yet, amino acids are great throughout the day, however there are specifics.
First thing in the morning you want a simple carb along with some BCAA's upon waking up. This will provide your body with the needed nutrients to take it out of a catabolic state(breaking down muscle mass for energy). Within 45 minutes to an hour of waking up you will want a form of protein complex comprised of fast and medium and slow absorbing proteins, specifically, casein(slow) and whey(fast).
The next most important meal/shake of the day will be a pre workout. You should take this 1-2 hours prior to your workout. Also, ensure you have a decent amount of Complete carbs with this as they will be your fuel through your workout.

Upon completion of your workout you will want to take an imediate dose of simple sugars to spike insulin levels(huge hormone for anabolic growth as well as spiking the metabolism), as well as taking in some BCAA's(branched chain amino acide, specifically luecine, isoleucine and valine) to help with recovery. Within 45 minutes to 1 hour of your workout you want to have a fast absorbing protein, specifically hydrolyzed whey protein.

Like it was stated above you want to have a slow absorbing protein before bed in the form of casein.

The in's and outs.
There are many types of protein. First we have the one most people are familiar with.
Whey; There are three basic types of whey protein.
Whey peptide: this is the slowest absorbing whey. It is found in products like muscle milk.
Whey isolate: This is the medium absorbing whey protein. It absorbs faster than the peptides and is more pure with less chance of polutants because it is more refined. It is found in products such as ISOPure, 100% whey, etc. This is the most widely used and is in almost every product.
Hydrolyzed whey: This is the best form of whey protein. It is the most pure and is the most readily available to your body when injested. The least amount goes to waiste. The down fall to this is the price and the taste. Hydrolyzed whey normally has a bitter taste and requires more body in the powder for taste. It also costs also twice as much to produce than the other forms of whey.

Casein: Casein protein is a very slow absorbing protein. It takes much longer for the body to break this down and absorb this, thus why it is good for night time.

Soy protein: There has been studies done that soy in high doses will cause increased levels of estregen in men. This is a bad thing... I don't think soy protein is bad, just be carful and use it sparingly.

Random: Rice, Hemp, PEA; These are all three very good choices. They are normally very high in naturally occuring BCAA's and it's normally vegetarian friendly.

Products, i won't go to indepth as i am kinda biased on products, but here is what i'd recommend;
GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 - very expensive, however it has 51 scoops with 20 grams of protein per scoop. This is my favorite protein and i have tried MANY.

Stay away from Optimum nutritioin HydroWhey... It is garbage... For the market price of Hydrolized whey and the price and amount of protein it's stating it's whole nutritional outline is false; Lies; and propaganda.

For a casein i would recommend optimum nutrition.

For a protein complex, muscle milk or any thing else for that..

Sorry for spelling mistakes. Just my $0.02
Coming from a GNC employee of 3 years and an exercise and sports science/nutrition major.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
again, it is all about digestion.

The purpose of protein within 30 minutes of a work out is to get amino acids rapidly back into the muscle tissue.

Some meal replacements are high on carbohydrates, which will adversely affect this process.

As long as a meal rep. is low on carbs(less than 10 grams) and 25 gram ish of protein, you are fine.
Sorry but I disagree..those muscles need sugar/carbs immediately to recover from the workout depletion and current Glycogen depletion state. Eating just protein and nothing else after a hard workout will probably just make you feel weak, unfulfilled and hamper muscle recovery.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Lotusf1, I dont disagree, and apologize if my statement seemed as if.

I personally use about 25 g protein and 5-10 g carbs(post workout)

Too much more, and it becomes more of a meal and just sits in your stomach.

I have seen some meplacement shakes that have very little protein, and high in carbs, so I just wanted to make sure you and others avoid those types.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Hmmm these concepts may work well for a young fella, but at my age the formula is far different. Three shots of tequilla prior to the work-out. This way you don't feel the pain of moving quite so much. Then drink whatever hyperproglutinatouspeptidemondylitheide drink afterwards, followed by another tequilla chaser to get the damn chemical taste out of your mouth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
After. Protein after workout = very high importance. But you know what's even better? Real protein. A hearty meal consisting of it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Take this from an MD (gastroenterologist) with a bachelor of science in physiology.

Protein doesn't immediately impact your workout either way. Instant energy use is from creatine kinase, then within seconds starts switching over to glucose. Protein doesn't figure in that equation in the short-term. Protein intake is a long-term thing, hours and days after or before exercise.

There is good data from the Journal of Applied Physiology in the late 1990's demonstrating that sugarwater, taken in continuously orally during a workout, prolongs time to exhaustion during cardio activity.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Sorry but I disagree..those muscles need sugar/carbs immediately to recover from the workout depletion and current Glycogen depletion state. Eating just protein and nothing else after a hard workout will probably just make you feel weak, unfulfilled and hamper muscle recovery.
You are correct in general, but a little bit off. See previous.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If i may, Protein, or better yet, amino acids are great throughout the day, however there are specifics.
First thing in the morning you want a simple carb along with some BCAA's upon waking up. This will provide your body with the needed nutrients to take it out of a catabolic state(breaking down muscle mass for energy). Within 45 minutes to an hour of waking up you will want a form of protein complex comprised of fast and medium and slow absorbing proteins, specifically, casein(slow) and whey(fast).
The next most important meal/shake of the day will be a pre workout. You should take this 1-2 hours prior to your workout. Also, ensure you have a decent amount of Complete carbs with this as they will be your fuel through your workout.

Upon completion of your workout you will want to take an imediate dose of simple sugars to spike insulin levels(huge hormone for anabolic growth as well as spiking the metabolism), as well as taking in some BCAA's(branched chain amino acide, specifically luecine, isoleucine and valine) to help with recovery. Within 45 minutes to 1 hour of your workout you want to have a fast absorbing protein, specifically hydrolyzed whey protein.

Like it was stated above you want to have a slow absorbing protein before bed in the form of casein.

The in's and outs.
There are many types of protein. First we have the one most people are familiar with.
Whey; There are three basic types of whey protein.
Whey peptide: this is the slowest absorbing whey. It is found in products like muscle milk.
Whey isolate: This is the medium absorbing whey protein. It absorbs faster than the peptides and is more pure with less chance of polutants because it is more refined. It is found in products such as ISOPure, 100% whey, etc. This is the most widely used and is in almost every product.
Hydrolyzed whey: This is the best form of whey protein. It is the most pure and is the most readily available to your body when injested. The least amount goes to waiste. The down fall to this is the price and the taste. Hydrolyzed whey normally has a bitter taste and requires more body in the powder for taste. It also costs also twice as much to produce than the other forms of whey.

Casein: Casein protein is a very slow absorbing protein. It takes much longer for the body to break this down and absorb this, thus why it is good for night time.

Soy protein: There has been studies done that soy in high doses will cause increased levels of estregen in men. This is a bad thing... I don't think soy protein is bad, just be carful and use it sparingly.

Random: Rice, Hemp, PEA; These are all three very good choices. They are normally very high in naturally occuring BCAA's and it's normally vegetarian friendly.

Products, i won't go to indepth as i am kinda biased on products, but here is what i'd recommend;
GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60 - very expensive, however it has 51 scoops with 20 grams of protein per scoop. This is my favorite protein and i have tried MANY.

Stay away from Optimum nutritioin HydroWhey... It is garbage... For the market price of Hydrolized whey and the price and amount of protein it's stating it's whole nutritional outline is false; Lies; and propaganda.

For a casein i would recommend optimum nutrition.

For a protein complex, muscle milk or any thing else for that..

Sorry for spelling mistakes. Just my $0.02
Coming from a GNC employee of 3 years and an exercise and sports science/nutrition major.
Trolling the internet much for threads on protein? Great first post, except for the following:

I wouldn't have thought you were a nutrition major, especially since the rate of amino acid absorption is irrelevant (btw there are biamino and even triamino acid ports on the enterocyte brush border) and not very different at all between amino, biamino, and triamino acids. Your statement about taking in slow-absorbing proteins before bed etc. is nonsense.

By the way, a peptide or polypeptide IS an amino acid or small chain of them. You saying one protein is absorbed faster than a peptide is jumbling your words.

You sure about that college you're majoring at? Get your tuition money back.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Take this from an MD (gastroenterologist) with a bachelor of science in physiology.

Protein doesn't immediately impact your workout either way. Instant energy use is from creatine kinase, then within seconds starts switching over to glucose. Protein doesn't figure in that equation in the short-term. Protein intake is a long-term thing, hours and days after or before exercise.

There is good data from the Journal of Applied Physiology in the late 1990's demonstrating that sugarwater, taken in continuously orally during a workout, prolongs time to exhaustion during cardio activity.
That's just not the leanest workout tho eh?

This is the thing about sports nutrition. Opinions and "facts" differ greatly across the board. Many studies are funded by the supplement industry themselves to prove that their nano-beta-superglutamotein is 10x faster at xyz.

SO, i might as well ask your opinion.

BCAA's pre/during workout reduce muscle tissue breakdown?
AA's as a whole to rebuild?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trolling the internet much for threads on protein? Great first post, except for the following:

I wouldn't have thought you were a nutrition major, especially since the rate of amino acid absorption is irrelevant (btw there are biamino and even triamino acid ports on the enterocyte brush border) and not very different at all between amino, biamino, and triamino acids. Your statement about taking in slow-absorbing proteins before bed etc. is nonsense.

By the way, a peptide or polypeptide IS an amino acid or small chain of them. You saying one protein is absorbed faster than a peptide is jumbling your words.

You sure about that college you're majoring at? Get your tuition money back.
HAHA my bad. I have been trolling here for some time reading and looking in the for sale area waiting to jump on parts. I drive a toyota MR2 spyder. Anyways, due to some of my knowledge and background i thought i would share.
I am not claiming to know everything, however i am very familiar with the supplement industry and what they "Classify" their supplements as.

I included a decent amount of information, but in language most will be able to understand. For your self, to clarify;
Amino acid absorption is very important. If you take a casein protein directly after your workout you will not receive the proper nutrients. Casein takes longer to break down due to it's structure and will actually slowdown the digestion of other foods as well.
Bodybuilding.com - Casein Or Whey? Benefits & Disadvantages Everyone Should Know!
Protein Timing

Yes, a peptide can be classified as a single amino acid. A polypeptide is a long amino acid chain. And the standard definition of "Protein" that people have come to understand it is a group of polypeptides.
When a company makes their protein, if they don't specify either a whey isolate, or hydrolysis, they are using is a "peptide". Take a look at some protein powders, they label it as "Whey Peptides". In laymen terms, When a company needs a protein that isn't specific they buy whatever is cheep. It can be just about any form of protein. In the supplement industry, Whey Peptides refer to a low quality protein, a cheep protein, that doesn't have the same nutritional value of the others, that has the potential for contaminants. It is a cheep protein that isn't as refined.

bi and tri aminos are irrelevant. they are simply a combination of one or two+ amino acids. For this purpose they are not important, however a BCAA combo would be considered a Triamino.

Most people here aren't going to understand what a peptide truly is. They won't know what each free form amino acid does. They will walk into GNC or Vitamin shop and be told to get a Whey protein, a weight gainer, etc. They will be ignorant to most of the products and the sales associate will dish out whatever BS they need to meet that days Quota, and believe me, GNC has a daily quota.

I don't claim to know everything, and i did not tell anyone else they were right or wrong. I simply responded to the original question with my own knowledge. So don't bash my education, constructive criticism is different.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts