The Lotus Cars Community banner

Fitting 3rd car (Elise) into 2-car garage

9454 Views 19 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  DCNSX
Here's how I plan on fitting the Elise into my 2-car garage (see below). My cars necessitated a 23' deep garage (which eliminated several homes when house-shopping) but I lucked out and found a wonderful place with a 27' deep garage. Plenty of room to spare.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look above, you'll see a wheel-lock on one of the dollie's wheels- very convenient if you're on an incline and also for safety- it keeps the car (and dollies) immobile when jacking the car up. The Elise is low and requires a lower-than-normal jack. I use Harbor Freight's Aluminum (what else?!) Racing Jack below. NOTE: I had to return my first one (inoperable) as did another friend. Both were replaced by HF. A third friend has had no problems with his. At $120 it's dirt cheap but ..you get what you pay for.
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
2,965 Posts
Do the rearview mirrors fold in on the Elise?

Most manufactuers state the width of a car, but it doesnt include the side mirrors.

Found a way we can use our cars for advertising-

I have a 3 car garage that is about 26 or 27 feet wide. If I could cram 4 Elises in the garage and take a picture and sell it to a real estate company and they could do an ad stating titled "Outgrown your current house?"

I know that the Mini is shorter, but is the Lotus the lowest height-wise and width-wise car on the road?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
I just put down my deposit on having a garage built this summer. It will be 24' wide x 32' deep. So I should be able to park the Elise nose to tail with the Neon R/T in one stall and have room for the Ram and a work space in the other. It will have 10' walls so I am still considering a lift as an addition later.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
xxxotic said:

I know that the Mini is shorter, but is the Lotus the lowest height-wise and width-wise car on the road?
Back in an old post they compared all the dimesions of the Elise to other cars. If i remember correctly, the Elise was actually 2 inches wider than the Miata and/or the Mini. Either way, I do remember that it wasn't the narrowest car.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
DCNSX said:
If you look above, you'll see a wheel-lock on one of the dollie's wheels- very convenient if you're on an incline and also for safety- it keeps the car (and dollies) immobile when jacking the car up. The Elise is low and requires a lower-than-normal jack. I use Harbor Freight's Aluminum (what else?!) Racing Jack below. NOTE: I had to return my first one (inoperable) as did another friend. Both were replaced by HF. A third friend has had no problems with his. At $120 it's dirt cheap but ..you get what you pay for.
?

I got a lowrise (90mm) jack for £65. (about $100).

Craigy
 

· Registered
Joined
·
637 Posts
meat said:
Craigy - does it weigh 35lbs??
I don't know - I don't pick it up often, and I drive the elise with it in the boot even less.

Having just checked, it would appear my jack (steel) weighs 11Kg, which is just under 25lbs.

It's a hydraulic jack, lifting capacity 2.5 tonnes. min height is 90mm, max is 405mm. (that's 3.5inches to about 15.5 inches).

I just realised they cut the price of the new version to £30, though it's minimum height is now 110mm.

You won't find an elise with a jacking point below 90mm on level ground - unless it's had it's suspension bent or it's running on a flat tyre.

Craigy
 

· Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Ken said:
Back in an old post they compared all the dimesions of the Elise to other cars. If i remember correctly, the Elise was actually 2 inches wider than the Miata and/or the Mini. Either way, I do remember that it wasn't the narrowest car.

Does anyone know how wide (and how long) the Elise is? I need to know if I will have to do any garage modifications.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
photo-shopped Elise

LOL- I have enough problems explaining to people how I fit three cars in the garage. How do I explain that 4th car???? "Well, I did get it with Touring Package, LSS and the anti-grav option..."
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top