The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having bought my 240 in large part because of the design aesthetic, I decided that a SoCal car needs a soft top option. Having sourced a second hand roof and roof bars I purchased the rear roof inserts from lotuspartsonline. The gentleman that I sold my Elise to was kind enough to give me the insert locations as I forgot to measure before selling it (thanks Doug).
Anyway the whole job took less than a hour and worked out well. The plywood was just something I had lying around the garage but was a good way of stopping the glass fiber debris ending up in the car.
The only thing I would do differently if I did it again would be to cut out the area of the masking tape that I ground out so that I could see the lines that I was working to. Although I purchased the spacers I ended up not using them as the bow in the roof was a little to much with them in. Insets were just hot glued in. Dimensions are 23cm to outside edge of insert from roof mount and 3 mm from the edge of the rubber seal.

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,144 Posts
One of the best mods to the Exige, now you have 2 tops to choose from

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Back in the day. The concern was loss of airflow over the intercooler. with softop. increasing IAT

You could "fettle" the roof scoop some, but the real answer at the time was wider side scoops feeding into a 3 way shroud into intercooler. ( RLS intercooler in my app)

I have this setup and not concerned about any loss of airflow with softop. The tech discussions were pretty elaborate about the actual gains with the modified setup. I can't quote % of increased efficency, but it's an elegant solution. Some recreated it at home if the RLS avenue was deemed a poor value.

I love driving topless. I don't think it makes the Exige look hideous,but with softop on or off it does detract from the aesthetics of an Exige. imo. Sure makes it fun to drive. I am actually washing my car today and gonna take the hardtop off!

Dang softops are pricey though! so that is where this mod costs! heh

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Great write-up. The open air experience is really enjoyable. Wait until you stop at the next intersection with the roof off. Expect a lot of conversations. I test drove an Exige with the roof off and even had those conversations during the test drive.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
The nice thing with a soft top is that you can also remove it without getting out of the car. Your reach will determine if you can remain buckled, but it can be done!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey A sorry it has taken so long to respond back. I had problems finding this thread again. Ok I have the soft top. It is the touring one with the insulated liner. It has only been used a few times, and none at all since 2011. I have some pix of it if you send me an email. [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts