The Lotus Cars Community banner

Do you carry a Fix-a-Flat can in your trunk

• Yes - In fact I carry two just to be sure!

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Yes - but it rarely crosses my mind

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • No - I'll just call AAA if I have a problem

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • No - what are you talking about?

Votes: 2 3.8%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my car used and there was no Fix-a-Flat can in the trunk clip.

I went out and brought one straight away, but just wondered what ya'll do.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Yup, and I had to use it twice when I had my Exige. Had it in one of my fronts for 6k miles without issue. I replaced all tires at around 8K.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
First time I checked for the "factory can", I didn't find it. :shrug: So I bought another (and a 12V air pump). While doing a more intense reconnaissance later, I discovered the factory can was exactly where it was supposed to be... :wallbang:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
First time I checked for the "factory can", I didn't find it. :shrug: So I bought another (and a 12V air pump). While doing a more intense reconnaissance later, I discovered the factory can was exactly where it was supposed to be... :wallbang:
Hadn't heard of the "factory can" before... this is an Exige thing?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hadn't heard of the "factory can" before... this is an Exige thing?
No, I thought both the Elise and Exige came with a can of fix-a-flat clipped into the boot on the extreme right side just behind the engine compartment... as I said, it's not obvious when you look into the boot, you've got to stick your head in there to find it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the Elise has a clip tucked away in the trunk also. Not obvious though - hence the poll.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
May get runflats in the future.
Don't know if I'd do that - at least not for some time. Most stuff I've read about run flats is bad. I have them on my 335i, but I have no basis for comparison yet. Other 335 owners couldn't get rid of their RFTs fast enough because they hated them so much.

From what I understand, it wasn't until BMW developed the suspension to take into account the RFTs that the ride was remotely acceptable. Granted, that's other people's opinions.

Then, take into account the Elise's odd wheel size, its lack of a tire-pressure monitoring system, that there's less sidewall compliance, and that they increase unsprung weight. I'd keep my can of fix-a-flat and AAA card.

BTW, I never used my can of fix-a-flat, but it was right there in the clip. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Does anyone know what happens after you use a fix-a-flat? Does it gum up the rim when you go to get a new tire. I never planned on using one until I got a flat on my rental car durring a trip 2 weeks ago. Guess the rental Co. will never know to they go to peel the tire off.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I've used it in a beater before. It's a pain to clean off the wheel when you have the tire changed later. I still have mine in the Lotus, but I wouldn't use it unless it was a last resort. My first course of action would be to call a flat bed and have it towed somewhere to have the tire repaired properly or replaced.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Does anyone know what happens after you use a fix-a-flat? Does it gum up the rim when you go to get a new tire. I never planned on using one until I got a flat on my rental car durring a trip 2 weeks ago. Guess the rental Co. will never know to they go to peel the tire off.
Tire shops hate fix-a-flat products but they usually will carefully scrape it off before mounting the new tire. A litle solvent and some grumbling does the trick. My factory can has been riding along with me for three years now. I wonder if it still has any propellant left...IIRC, it was reported by a member here awhile back that the factory can (it's small-imagine that) barely re-inflates the tire. He recommended buying a larger "American-sized" can.

Tom

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Absolutely vital to have two in case one doesn't work right.

The one that comes in the car is too small.

Wrap the two in foam...put them in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
The tire guys didn't care about the fix a flat goop in the tire or on the wheel.

Tire change was no problem.

Just use fix a flat.

Flatbed tow is $150 if you decide to go that way.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Don't know if I'd do that - at least not for some time. Most stuff I've read about run flats is bad. I have them on my 335i, but I have no basis for comparison yet. Other 335 owners couldn't get rid of their RFTs fast enough because they hated them so much.

From what I understand, it wasn't until BMW developed the suspension to take into account the RFTs that the ride was remotely acceptable. Granted, that's other people's opinions.

Then, take into account the Elise's odd wheel size, its lack of a tire-pressure monitoring system, that there's less sidewall compliance, and that they increase unsprung weight. I'd keep my can of fix-a-flat and AAA card.

BTW, I never used my can of fix-a-flat, but it was right there in the clip. :)
Thanks Icedog ;)

Just to further support what you wrote, I found this prior thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44568&highlight=runflat

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Fix-a-flat is the Devil's trick on motorists. Well, that and Lucas electrical components.

I carry a plug kit, a pair of dykes, and the smallest road-side compressor I could find at Walmart. This is by FAR a better solution.

xtn

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
the day we got the car i bought a 2 for of fix a flat. used one on a friends exige. it worked...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Thanks Icedog ;)

Just to further support what you wrote, I found this prior thread:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44568&highlight=runflat
No prob! ;) Honestly, my RFTs are getting the heave-ho (into the attic) within the year since BMW insists on having RFTs on the car at lease turn-in. I'd rather have better-performing tires for the bulk of my lease and give them back what they gave me. For all I know, maybe they're the reason I think the handling of the car is marginal (coming from an Elise didn't help for sure! :D). But my brother's A4 seems to handle better on the same off-ramp we take everyday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts