The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also noticed that when I had my car parked in the sun that the magnafication from the projector lense burned tracks in the plastic. I suppose, like some of you have mentioned, that Lotus will come up with a fix, but I really didn't want to have to worry about which direction I parked in relationship to the sun until then. So, I came up with this. You have to take off the headlamp unit--there are directions in the handbook under changing bulbs. Not a bad idea to practice this in case you have to do it in the dark some day. Basically, you take off three phillips head screws to free the liner inside the front wheel well. A caution here is that when you pull the liner free, the plastic anchors that the bottom two screws go into will fly across the garage--probably into the least accessable crevice in the place--just pry them out first, then remove the liner.
Next, there are three allen head bolts--grab a 5mm allen wrench. When these are off, the headlight unit lifts off.
Now for the fabrication--I used a light guage aluminum, but other metals or plastics could be used. Cut a piece out as outlined in the pictures. I have shown a template with measurements. Attached are pictures of the template, and the piece cut out. Go to part 2 for the installation.
Trip

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Burning Lights Fix Part 2

Ok, Take the piece you have cut out and find something around the house that is about 2.375 inches in diameter--you will use this to form the visor. Bend the cut out metal around the cylinder that you found. Bend the tabs up from the visor. Check the fit inside the hole that goes onto the projector lense. You will probably have to work with it a little to get a good tight fit. Bend the tabs back and fit it to the car to check orientation--you can make it go anyway you want--I made mine go slightly outboard to assure that I shaded the lense well.
Once you decide exactly how you want the visor located, you will want to glue it in place from the outside--I used hot melt glue--sets fast and can be removed easily. The tabs will be trapped against the projector lense houseing and will hold the visor in place--the glue is for an extra margin of safety. Reinstall all that stuff under the wheel well and you are done. Pictures below show the glued visor from the front and the finished product.
Hope this helps stop the smokin'
Trip

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Pics look good man..

Let us know the long term effects.. how are they holding up? Does it stop all the burning?

Enjoy

Ryan

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Nice job. Have you checked to make sure it didn't affect the light pattern? I would not expect it to.

Now, are you going to sell prefabed visors? Or, should sector111 get a local shop to make 50 or 100 of them and just sell them online? (Could get a sheet metal cutting die made and stamp them out at low cost. If the visor is made with no sharp inner corners, then a die can be milled out pretty cheaply.)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
nice post,one question though...why do you have oriental carpets in your garage? -poke-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The visors don't effect the light pattern at all that I can see. I compared with one on and one off.
Never gave much thought to the carpets--I guess I just like them. One really can't step on to bare concrete out of an Elise--just wouldn't be proper.
:no:
Trip

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So, are you going to park your car facing the sun (or whatever angle causes the most problem) and test it tomorrow?

·
Registered
2005 Ardent Red Elise
297 Posts
The stock set up produces a hooded effect on the low beams at night, casting a shadow across the road above the beams. It seems like your modification might increase that shadow and reduce the projection distance of the beams. Is that the case, or is the angle such that the extended brow does not interfere any more with the beam than the brow on the stock molding?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
MERLIN said:
The stock set up produces a hooded effect on the low beams at night, casting a shadow across the road above the beams. It seems like your modification might increase that shadow and reduce the projection distance of the beams.
The familiar shape of the beam is formed by a shutter apperatus inside the headlight, between the bulb and the projector lens that you can see from outside.

So by the time the light has hit the lens, the lower half is already already "chopped" by the shutter, then inverted by the lens to give the "VV" pattern.

Putting a hood over the top of the lens front, even a big hood, should have no effect at all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at the light pattern last night and comparing between the side with a visor and the side without, I saw no difference. I will give it a good sun test today, but using a bright point source light, I could not get a hot spot on the hooded light and I could easily get one on the unhooded light.
Trip

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
fyi the sun is not a point sourse...it subtends an angle (cannot recall the angle at the moment) and gets imaged by the lens. i never took note of exactly what part of the light shell focuses the burning spot. i wonder if segments of dark lamin-x film would take care of the problem without looking too silly?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
How did you determine the required size of this sun shade?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I taped on hoods over the lense with the headlight assemble off the car until a bright light (yes, I know the sun is not a point source, but I didn't have a sun handy) could not be held at an angle that would product a focused beam of light. I have now tried it out in the sun (one is very handy today in CO), and so far no angle tried will yield a focused beam of light coming out of the projector lense (for those who are picky, I mean focused at the same distance that the plastic surround is). The only thing that it does is light up the headlight well brightly enough that the old burn marks are more noticable. It would be great if Sector 111 or some other aftermarket could make these so that they are more finished than mine are--how about some nice little carbon fiber hoods.
Trip

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
tripdog said:
... It would be great if Sector 111 or some other aftermarket could make these so that they are more finished than mine are--how about some nice little carbon fiber hoods.
Trip
I think I would prefer nice looking but inexpensive.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried that, but it gave too much front end lift--or maybe that's just how I felt after 2 Mai Tai's. :nanner:
Trip

·
Registered
165 Posts
this is a good post!!! somone needs to figure it out.. either that or LOTUS shoould recall our headlights and replace them with some redesigned ones!?

lotus? anyone? hahah..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts